• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Losing interest

Road Trip -- camping with an epic disc golf course on-site.

h827D0448

I feel like Honey Bear is calling his name.

I think Peru in general is calling :thmbup:.

I played BG ams and that is the last tourney I have planned for this year. I will play some local stuff, but getting back to just playing with a small group of guys and having fun. I play the weekly handicap at washington park on Wednesdays and some dubs here and there. Going thru some personal issues last year I buried myself in tourneys and played every tourney in the state it seams like. I couldn't get enough(crack). That itch has died down and just trying to have fun. Find a core group of guys and switch it up.

Absence makes the heart grow fonder.

Well, I'm not sure that is always true, as sometimes absence gives you an opportunity to realize that there are other things in the world to go do, and you only have so much life left to do them. A lot of actors, musicians and athletes have walked away from lucrative endeavors over that very thing because they weren't happy. I don't think its that big of a step for an ordinary joe to take a hiatus from a hobby.

For me when i get frustrated with the sport i stop keeping score. just go out and have fun. just work on your shot. that works fine for me. get some music. some beer and some buddies. go out and just unwind. that is what it sounds like. get out in nature.

Guys,
I admit, it's getting harder to give a crap about the game. This winter was just nasty, totally unplayable if you didn't want to risk ankle injuries or freeze to death or whatever. The spring rolled around, and it's been a complete wash out. Just floods straight into mosquito season. Totally lost interest in competitive play, I have better things to do for eight to ten hours than play two rounds and stand around on pads while bored. Casually, I just seem to want to do other stuff when I could be discing.

I've lost my spark for the game. Help me get revved up again.

Yo man! Take a step back and don't think of it as not giving a crap about the game right now. Think of it as just needing a little motivation. I've gone through this with skateboarding in the last couple years and I realize it was good when I took a few years off because I got so amped on it again when I got back into it. So here's my two approaches to this:

First. You could take an indefinite break. No seriously. It doesn't have to be one of those big dramatic things and you don't even have to come up with an excuse for it. Just tell people you lost the juice and are amped on other stuff right now. There's nothing wrong with that and most people will respect the honesty. If it's not fun others will notice and it's a drag. Some day, it might be 6 days, weeks, months, years from now but some day you'll get the itch to go throw a round at one of your favorite courses. It'll just happen. You'll get hooked all over again. Sure there's going to be some learning curve again but you'll be so stoked you'll power through that without a problem. Don't think of it as quitting because it's not. It's just a break to let the motivation build back up.

The other option is to just stop competitively and play casually a bit. I personally don't play competitively because it's not fun for me. I enjoy the casual rounds with my friends having fun and enjoying the weather. I also enjoy the solo rounds when no one else is around and I can just take my time or power through if I want. If I'm not stoked on the game for a bit I'll find a new course to go to a little ways away and make that road trip happen. Sometimes just a change of scenery really sparks that motivation too!

Seriously man. Don't get down on yourself for being a bit discouraged with it. That'll make it worse. Just go when you want and don't when you don't. People's interests shift all the time and they feel bad they are no longer doing what they did 5 or 10 years ago. But time changes stuff man. Maybe it's just an off year due to weather too and when it gets nice you'll catch the bug.

Quit and play something else, if you really did enjoy it you'll come back around. Somtime's you just need a break.
And in the meantime the rest of us will enjoy more room on the course. :thmbup:

J/K. Take a break. Any hobby shouldn't be a grind. I'm playing less this spring, and enjoying it more.

I feel like Honey Bear is calling his name.

I feel like Honey Boo Boo is calling his name. :sick:

Eh. I got other interests if I'm bored, or old-man tweaked from too much throwing. Fer instance, I'll be catrafting the Middle Fork of the Salmon for a week, starting Saturday.

But as I have to meet my buddies in Umatilla for the drive, I am leaving a little time on the front and back of the drive to hit 4 new courses in the Tri-Cities area. :D:D:D That's how I get the interest flaming!

Last edited:
Give it a rest if you don't have the desire to play. Or just change it up. Putter rounds help very much. If you have a basket, go throw some putts in the yard with the kids. Just something to have some fun

Move from Indy. San Diego winters are a little bit easier to deal with and we can play all year long. Don't give up on DG

I've posted this before, but whenever I get in a rut and am not quite as excited about playing the thing that gets me addicted again is taking a road trip to somewhere new and playing some cool holes I've never seen before. My wife and dog and I will take off for a few days, find a nice spot to camp and play some golf on courses where we don't have a best score to beat or already know what we're going to throw on any given hole. YMMV.

I've posted this before, but whenever I get in a rut and am not quite as excited about playing the thing that gets me addicted again is taking a road trip to somewhere new and playing some cool holes I've never seen before. My wife and dog and I will take off for a few days, find a nice spot to camp and play some golf on courses where we don't have a best score to beat or already know what we're going to throw on any given hole. YMMV.

This is just about the only situation in which I play anymore, bad thing is I've played every course within 200 miles of me. So when I want to play I have to board a plane.

Guys,
I admit, it's getting harder to give a crap about the game. This winter was just nasty, totally unplayable if you didn't want to risk ankle injuries or freeze to death or whatever. The spring rolled around, and it's been a complete wash out. Just floods straight into mosquito season. Totally lost interest in competitive play, I have better things to do for eight to ten hours than play two rounds and stand around on pads while bored. Casually, I just seem to want to do other stuff when I could be discing.

I've lost my spark for the game. Help me get revved up again.

Sell me your discs?

Ehhhh.....what ever works. Three years ago it was ball golf. Before that it was four wheeling.......then rc airplanes...... For you, it Sounds like its work,wife, kids and family for now. No biggy .i still find myself looking for reasons/ways to sneak in a round. Snuck in 9 at local pitch n put before work this morning and birdied first five holes. I was a few minutes late to Work, sweaty and happy. Maybe even told a fib or two to create time for play. For me , disc golf started off being about the availability and low cost of play. When I am not feeling it anymore, I will move on to the next thing. But disc golf does get me up off the couch for now. You'll figure it out.

Lots of good suggestions so far, and maybe time off/not playing is a good thing. But, if you're looking for reasons to make it fun again, maybe try creating a whole bag of things you don't throw currently. Polecats and Destroyers. All 150 class. DX classics only. I don't know, there are tons of options, but maybe throwing a whole new set of plastic could be fun.
Join a league. Play skins rounds. Get your wife playing and play a different kind of skins round. Play in a costume. Just spitballing...use your imagination.

Been kinda feeling the same way lately, course is getting "boring". I'm throwing around the idea of dumping all of my "go-to" discs into the back of my Jeep and filling my bag with the discs that I have that I don't ever throw. Try to see if I can score close to what I do now. Just an Idea. Maybe all DX discs, or all midrange and putters, no drivers. Or an entire round over hand, thumbers and tommies.

EDIT......
Didn't read Broken Shoulder's post when I wrote that

Latest posts