• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Lost disc: 1 hour penalty

Nodosaurus

Par Member
Ever had one of those days?

This was my first, I'm still playing my first dozen games.

After dinner on Saturday, I wanted a quick 9 holes at an easy course in Beaverton - I chose the Greenway. I've played it before, its light and pleasant.

Hole 1, tee shot, my favorite disk took a hard right into the woods near Fanno Creek. You know them? This is a brambles. Tall trees, lots of blackberries, tall grasses, although I don't know how they get light. I wanted my disk back!! :( There are lots of trails a few feet in, likely other people in the same situation. I wandered back in that super-optimistic swagger, I'll find it! After a while I wandered back out, I was no longer anywhere near where it went in, I wasn't even at the first hole! Ok I wandered back to where it went in -- and found it!! What luck!

But it wasn't playable. I was surrounded by greenery, even the canopy didn't allow the sky to peek through.

So I cheated. Sort of. I started over, don't tell anyone!

I'm on the runway, building up speed AND, abort! I'm still holding my favorite disc. Time to switch.

Its amazing that my disc went right. I have a hard hook left that I can't get rid of. To be safe, I threw far left. And it started going left. Onto the second hole. Then a gust of wind came to help me out. I ended up with a very playable lie, admittedly far left, but on the course. :) I would have made par if I could putt. (other than that messy start which I won't bring up again.)

Fast forward to hole 4. There are tall grasses on the left, but otherwise a fairly easy hole. The basket is on the top of a small hill, so just be careful there. Throw, I bounced off a tree right into the grasses. It was my favorite disc again. When will I learn? After trouncing around I managed to find my disk. This time, it was very playable, it was actually a good lie. I made par. If I could putt, I would have had my first birdie. :)

And hole 5. This is a longer hole with lots of trees. I played pinball all the way down the course. Par 3, 5 shots, 6 trees. :rolleyes:

Man that was fun! And I left with all the discs I came with. I can't wait to get back, no course is going to get the better of me!!! :cool:

Out of my mind,
Randy

i spent over three hours (two different days) looking for my first star wraith. stupid leaves!
I played Burke Lake in November once. Both of my understable discs were yellow. Easy to see in California, right? I threw once shot that slid under all the autumn leaves. I spent close to an hour looking for it. I was kicking leaves like a madman. Where did I finally find it? 4 feet from the basket. It slid under the leaves for, at least, 40 feet.

My favorite is when the disc sticks in waist high grass vertically, giving you only the smallest profile of the disc to try and find it with. Spent about an hour last year looking for one that ended up like this.

I've got a pretty crazy lost disc story. It's actually two lost disc stories whose fates were unconscionably tangled together.

I was on #15 at LTC Cleveland and sent my shot way too low. The rough on this horseshoe-shaped hole had grown to ridiculous lengths at this point, and I knew my shot didn't go into the woods further in, so I focused my search to the grassy area speckled with nettles and holes in the ground covered with leaves, but eventually abandoned my efforts after 45 minutes or so. I gave up and moved on.

Two months later, I was on the tee of #14 and remarked to my friend how the rough on the upcoming hole had gobbled up my Stratus a while back. In an attempt to throw a long anhyzer, I subsequently watched as I sacrificed my drive to the wind and watched it get carried into the exact same rough (WAY off line for this hole!). Commence search, part 2.

Since I had an extra set of eyes this time, we quickly closed in on the area where we'd last seen the disc enter. The rough was outrageously long, so we ruled out any chance it skipped, rolled, hopped, or did anything. Within a minute I caught the white flash in the greenery I'd been hoping for. I yelled, "I got it!" and my friend happily jumped out of the weeds. I bent down to pick it up, and lo and behold, LITERALLY UNDERNEATH my newly lost disc was my Stratus from 2 months ago! I think I reacted in a manner similar to that of a prepubescent girl winning VIP Jonas Brothers tickets. My buddy thought it was pretty awesome, too.

I've really got nothing to top this "lost-and-found" story in my decade-plus of playing.

You guys might look up in the trees,instead of on the ground,I know this sounds silly but I've found more lost discs this way(5) so far,mainly white color discs.

Conundrum:

It's your favorite disc, you don't want to lose it, buuuut...You need to throw a disc, it might as well be your favorite.

I played Burke Lake in November once. Both of my understable discs were yellow. Easy to see in California, right? I threw once shot that slid under all the autumn leaves. I spent close to an hour looking for it. I was kicking leaves like a madman. Where did I finally find it? 4 feet from the basket. It slid under the leaves for, at least, 40 feet.
well at least you didnt lose it:)
did you find it?
no and its in a county park so i couldnt go through with a blower and move the leaves:(
Conundrum:

It's your favorite disc, you don't want to lose it, buuuut...You need to throw a disc, it might as well be your favorite.
that was my pickle

I lose my favorite disc a lot, why because it is the favorite, it gets used more. So what do you do, you get backups of the favorite disc just in case.

You know when searching for a lost disc REALLY sucks?

When you're playing a course you're familiar with in broad daylight and you watch your shot land in a well mowed patch of grass with no trees or shrubery anywhere in sight...

And you still manage to lose ten minutes looking for it because your disc found that one little depressed spot where you'll never see it unless you walk right over it.

I bent down to pick it up, and lo and behold, LITERALLY UNDERNEATH my newly lost disc was my Stratus from 2 months ago!

Dude, great story!

I hope you marked that spot for next time!

Been there. Sorry to hear that. Atleast you found both for your efforts. Also shows your fairly consistent with your accuracy. = )

I just lost my fav disc at cascade gateway. spent less than 5 mins looking for it because I didnt get a good view of where it went exactly. I was pretty bummmed also... posted add in lost and found on northwest forum

Latest posts