• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

MA1 for Worlds is FULL!!!

Here's another thought about the top MA1 players who "stick around longer than they should".

There are companies/Sponsors/Supporters within our sport who are tired of the overall attitude of entitlement of some of the Pro disc golfers out there. They want to grow their business and grow our sport. Lets say they are a major online retailer for DG. Its beginning to happen more and more these days that they are handpicking top amateur players that will represent their business well. These players are GRATEFUL to have a sponsor and are often in the spotlight. It also makes alot more sense for these companies to market themselves to Amateurs, the ones who actually purchase DG gear.

Just the other week Horsman was on my card at BG Ams and he was wearing his sponsors gear during the distance competition finals and during the tourney rounds. Even handed out business cards for his sponsor. I'm sure they are making it worth his effort. The fact that these opportunities are out there is pretty cool if you ask me.

Not saying its the biggest or best reason some golfers stay AM but its one you should be aware of.

If the top advanced players move up there will just be a new top group of advanced players for people to call baggers and "forced" to move up. Its a never ending bagger circle. Why doesn't everyone move to pro to solve everything.

For those of you AM players that are disappointed that worlds is full, the Charlotte Amateur Championship is in 2 1/2 weeks and still has spots available. It's going to be a huge tourney and will highlight some of the newer courses in town that will be used for worlds but don't have an official SSA yet!

http://dynamicdiscs.com/disc-golf-tournaments/2012/Charlotte-Amateur-Championships.html

Charlotte-Amateur-ChampionshipsL.jpg

And for all you Charlotte haters it's a good opportunity to come put us in our place! :D

Wilson Golf made the decision years ago to stop sponsoring pro touring players and only sponsor course pros. They found out that the local, weekend hacker is more likely to be influenced by the local course pro than top pros on TV.

I would think this would work in several communities where there is a local player that is the one everyone hopes to draw in the weekly doubles.

of course my game has a tendency to encourage newer players to throw anything but what i have in my bag.

Here's another thought about the top MA1 players who "stick around longer than they should".

There are companies/Sponsors/Supporters within our sport who are tired of the overall attitude of entitlement of some of the Pro disc golfers out there. They want to grow their business and grow our sport. Lets say they are a major online retailer for DG. Its beginning to happen more and more these days that they are handpicking top amateur players that will represent their business well. These players are GRATEFUL to have a sponsor and are often in the spotlight. It also makes alot more sense for these companies to market themselves to Amateurs, the ones who actually purchase DG gear.

Just the other week Horsman was on my card at BG Ams and he was wearing his sponsors gear during the distance competition finals and during the tourney rounds. Even handed out business cards for his sponsor. I'm sure they are making it worth his effort. The fact that these opportunities are out there is pretty cool if you ask me.

Not saying its the biggest or best reason some golfers stay AM but its one you should be aware of.

For those of you AM players that are disappointed that worlds is full, the Charlotte Amateur Championship is in 2 1/2 weeks and still has spots available. It's going to be a huge tourney and will highlight some of the newer courses in town that will be used for worlds but don't have an official SSA yet!

http://dynamicdiscs.com/disc-golf-tournaments/2012/Charlotte-Amateur-Championships.html

Charlotte-Amateur-ChampionshipsL.jpg

And for all you Charlotte haters it's a good opportunity to come put us in our place! :D

Would love to, but The Memorial was my last Am tournament.

BAGGER!!! LOL watch we will be on the same card

Then you sir are a bagger. Aren't I entitled to getting at least second just because of my rating? If you are on my card, obviously you are a bagger too and should be playing open.

If you are on my card...lets make it the best 4th card ever!

What you arrogant NC players are failing to realize is that just because you have to play well to cash in advanced/cash in pro doesn't mean that the top half of your advanced fields shouldn't be playing pro. If you had the borderline guys who are successful in advanced consistently moving up, then 980 golf would be plenty to cash in pro. The only reason that it is so hard to cash is because you guys are all twiddling your thumbs in advanced. I just find it annoying that every other post from an NC guy is, "Well if you lived here, you would get a taste of just how tough it is." Yeah, we get it. You have nice courses. You are good players. Your tournaments are all perfect. Did you ever consider the fact that maybe your local pros might actually like to play in a pro field of more than 10 people?

Wow, talk about sour grapes. Not usually an angry poster, but for some reason this thread has just gotten under my skin.

What I don't understand is who makes the decision what rating "should" be pro. The 965 pro thinks everything 965 and above should be. The 950 adv thinks everything above him should be. Lol. Lets just get rid of divisions and everyone plays for cash. I mean the winner in advanced is always in the top 20% of the pro field and the winner of int is always in the top 20% of the Adv field. Get rid of all divisions pay out 50% and be done with it right? That way all current pro's get paid, 1/2 the advanced and 1/4th the intermediates.

What I don't understand is who makes the decision what rating "should" be pro. The 965 pro thinks everything 965 and above should be.

No, the 965 pro thinks the guy that won the Carolina Clash, took 4th at Worlds, and is the 3rd highest rated Am "should" move up. My arguement is less about ratings, and more about actual performance at major tournaments.

Yes, you can argue that he was 15th (or whatever it was) at Bowling Green. But, even Climo had tournaments that he didn't finish in the top ten. That didn't mean that he wasn't the best.

I guess I'm starting to understand. Some people realize they can't compete with the best, so they stay away from them. They don't like a challenge. They don't want to strive to be the 12x World Champ.......well maybe, 12x Am World Champ.

A lot of the points made in this thread are why I wish we would get rid of having one firm set of ratings breaks and have local TD's or state coordinators set them instead (at least for B&C tier events) as the talent pool in some parts of the country is a bit higher caliber than others. They could have as many or as few ratings breaks as they want.

Divisions would get rid of the innaccurate (advanced, intermediate, recreational, novice) titles and go with "XXX rating and under".

No, the 965 pro thinks the guy that won the Carolina Clash, took 4th at Worlds, and is the 3rd highest rated Am "should" move up. My arguement is less about ratings, and more about actual performance at major tournaments.

Yes, you can argue that he was 15th (or whatever it was) at Bowling Green. But, even Climo had tournaments that he didn't finish in the top ten. That didn't mean that he wasn't the best.

I guess I'm starting to understand. Some people realize they can't compete with the best, so they stay away from them. They don't like a challenge. They don't want to strive to be the 12x World Champ.......well maybe, 12x Am World Champ.

Without speaking with Paul... I have never seen someone that puts as much time into practicing specific shots for hours on end. He's worked very hard for over 2 years to have an opportunity to win the Charlotte Am Worlds. Many of us in Charlotte would love to compete with him forever as an AM but I imagine that Am worlds will be one of his last events in Advanced. Sure he got second in the Clash this year... but I believe that he tried to play open and it was full and was on the wait list for both Open and Advanced and Advanced is the only one that opened up. The CAC and Bowling Green are AM only tournaments, and besides that he has played open in the only other event he has played in this year. Isn't that all you could expect from someone that has the goal to win BG, and win Worlds... to play the major Am events for experience and a goal, and play open in the others?

A lot of the points made in this thread are why I wish we would get rid of having one firm set of ratings breaks and have local TD's or state coordinators set them instead (at least for B&C tier events) as the talent pool in some parts of the country is a bit higher caliber than others. They could have as many or as few ratings breaks as they want.

Divisions would get rid of the innaccurate (advanced, intermediate, recreational, novice) titles and go with "XXX rating and under".

That wouldn't be a bad idea, except for one thing. The guy that has only played one tournament and did unusually well. We have all seen it. The player that we have played casual or league rounds with, and has a skill set that places him firmly in Intermediate. Then at his first tournament has the day of his life, and sets his first rating at 950.

Latest posts