• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Magellan disc golf bag

I built two of these frames for friends. They seem to be holding up well. Slightly different than the ones I have seen. I put the two 45's on the bottom so it would be a snug fit and the PVC would not tear the bag.

20150111_204739_zps5fed3cff.jpg

small not true to scale draft of my frame.
connected the PVC with cable ties (drilled little holes in the PVC).
Took me 30 Minutes to cut and connect 'em..
j4tpmWs.jpg

small not true to scale draft of my frame.
connected the PVC with cable ties (drilled little holes in the PVC).
Took me 30 Minutes to cut and connect 'em..
j4tpmWs.jpg

I made something like this but with old wire coat hangers and hot glue. It's basically this exact design, but without either of the bottom cross pieces, so that it's easy to take in and out and maintenance.
It has been surprisingly durable and makes the bag stand up really well. I personally didn't like the bag without the frame inside, but this fixed it!

I'm liking the CPVC frame I had built based on Strive's design. The only issue I'm having is that the vertical supports keep falling out of the couplings. Since I don't want to glue the vertical supports in once they're inside the bag, I think I'm going to try drilling small holes through the vertical supports just before they enter the couplings at the top and bottom and then zip-tying them to the top and bottom horizontal bars. That way, they shouldn't come apart again, but I can still take the frame out of the bag if I need to by snipping the zip ties.

By the way, this is my first backpack style bag. My previous was the Innova competition bag with Phenix straps. It was (and is) a nice setup, but the backpack just offers more storage. One thing I do miss about the competition bag though is the fact that there is easier access to the discs. A backpack like this pretty much forces you to have the opening facing towards you when it's on the ground. Not a big deal, but just something new to get used to. Also, when the competition bag was on my back, I could easily swing it around hanging by one strap from my shoulder and grab my next disc while walking. The backpack style doesn't offer that same flexibility. Other than that, I'm really liking the bag and the extra storage it offers!

I'm liking the CPVC frame I had built based on Strive's design. The only issue I'm having is that the vertical supports keep falling out of the couplings. Since I don't want to glue the vertical supports in once they're inside the bag, I think I'm going to try drilling small holes through the vertical supports just before they enter the couplings at the top and bottom and then zip-tying them to the top and bottom horizontal bars. That way, they shouldn't come apart again, but I can still take the frame out of the bag if I need to by snipping the zip ties.

I solved the problem of the vertical supports coming out by simply drilling small pilot holes into each of the elbows that hold the vertical supports and screwing a small screw into each once it was together inside the bag. Each hole was drilled at an angle facing into the body of the frame so that I could easily access them with a screwdriver. Works perfectly now!

Hey guys I just picked up my Magellan bag and it looks like the new ones in stores have one important change that I havent seen mentioned in this thread. Can you guess it?! Overall Im pretty excited with this thing, lives up to all the hype I've been reading from this thread. All I have left is to make a pvc cage which will happen today!

Magellan.jpg

PS sorry its sideways. cannot figure out how to fix it!

Hey guys I just picked up my Magellan bag and it looks like the new ones in stores have one important change that I havent seen mentioned in this thread. Can you guess it?! Overall Im pretty excited with this thing, lives up to all the hype I've been reading from this thread. All I have left is to make a pvc cage which will happen today!

View attachment 51752

PS sorry its sideways. cannot figure out how to fix it!

Did they add a drawstring for the putter pocket?

Looks like bigger water bottle holders. Also I took the advice very early in the thread and used coroplast polypropylene from Home Depot to stiffen up the bag. I cut out the padding from the sides. Used it as a template for the coroplast. I then taped the padding to the coroplast and re-inserted back into the sides. I used fabric tape to re-seal it. It works like a champ and is way lighter and less bulkier than the other solutions in this thread. It's how the bag should have shipped.

I just put a towel in the top of mine so the putter stays higher and it literally has never fell out. I have to say this bag is really nice. I play 8-10 rounds a week here in oregon where it rains and lots of underbrush. This bag has had no issues whatsoever.

I put my innova competition divider inside and it fits like a glove and no need for any framing.

rCPFSjT.png

Ya I just did the same thing as Oregon. A rolled up towel lets the disks set up out of the pocket nicely. Then when the round is over i put the towel in one of the side compartments and the disks sit down so i can zip the pocket.

first sign of wear. one of the rails on the bottom of mine has broken off. still sits up ok, but sure the fabric will take more of a beating now

had the bag around two months. Overall still impressed, but its definitely only going to last a year or so. i was quite happy with how it kept the water out during our rainy ice bowl

So, I have built a frame in this and it works very well. One thing that bothers me is the front flap doesnt stay tucked, and when walking slaps around making noise with every step. Has anyone modified that flap so it stays in place, if so how? I was thinking of stick on magnets, but open to ideas.

I purchased one of these bags and installed the frame built to the specs that Strive posted on page 13 of this thread. It is working fantastic so far, I highly recommend the frame, it's super easy to do and improves the bag 100%. I'm sure I'll eventually find out why this bag cost only $40, but for now I'm very pleased.

A few notes for those who want to do the frame...

1) Make sure you get 1/2" CPVC, not regular PVC.

2) Most places will cut the CPVC to specs for you right in the store. I went to Lowe's and showed an employee in the plumbing section the list of parts/sizes, and he went and got everything I needed, cut it for me, and found a box to put it in, all for $7.50.

3) To make putting the frame into the bag easier, super glue the sides together and make sure they lay flat on a table and leave the horizontal supports loose. They don't need to be glued in my experience, and it makes it simple to slip the side sections into the bag and then complete the frame with the horizontal pieces.

Yes, these things are no doubt obvious for most of you, but for someone like me who is not even remotely mechanically inclined, these notes might help...

So, I have built a frame in this and it works very well. One thing that bothers me is the front flap doesnt stay tucked, and when walking slaps around making noise with every step. Has anyone modified that flap so it stays in place, if so how? I was thinking of stick on magnets, but open to ideas.

I added a top bar using 2 t's right below the 45's on the top front... I then tucked the flap inside this bar during play...

Attachments

• 1423017971047.jpg
    1423017971047.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 158
Well, I finally pulled the trigger on this guy. Looking forward to getting it out on the course this weekend.

I used an old pool noodle. Cut to the width of top putter pocket and works great! Putters sit in there nicely.