• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Making the move from Advanced to Pro?

I think Brett (19325) makes some very good points. I have seen the same thing where players (even a former AM world/national champ or two) moves up to open and loses the love of the game when they cannot compete (for whatever reason). Don't lose that love of the game.

I think Brett (19325) makes some very good points. I have seen the same thing where players (even a former AM world/national champ or two) moves up to open and loses the love of the game when they cannot compete (for whatever reason). Don't lose that love of the game.

This would seem to me that they have a love of winning, rather than a love of the game. That is a typical trait of baggers. They don't move up, because they have to win, and when they don't they are incapable of having fun. Those people are the weak.

This would seem to me that they have a love of winning, rather than a love of the game. That is a typical trait of baggers. They don't move up, because they have to win, and when they don't they are incapable of having fun. Those people are the weak.

^ this! I know several players who play open get their butts kicked every weekend but love to play in that division. If you love the game and want to play in a competitive format then play in a division that you are excited about cashing in not expecting to place every time

^ this! I know several players who play open get their butts kicked every weekend but love to play in that division. If you love the game and want to play in a competitive format then play in a division that you are excited about cashing in not expecting to place every time

That's great for those people. Most aren't like that, the reason to play a competitive sport is to try to win. I won't ever fault someone for playing a division they're eligible for that provides them with the best competition at their level if that's how they have fun playing tournaments.

I won't fault them either! Guess it all comes down to your motivation

"Love of the game" has got to be the most overused colloquialism in sports, not just disc golf. If you want to "love" the game, then stay out of serious competitive events. The idea of a competitive events is to win, and when said events have a serious price tag attached, love can get to be rather expensive when your skills aren't up to par.

And I've said it before every time this subject has came up in the past, and will say it again. Wins, particularly wins in any division but open, don't mean jackity jack, when considering if its time to move up. Different tournaments bring out different competition and that little variable, one a player has absolutely no control over, can have a dramatic effect on whether you win or not.

What you should consider, when it is a fair comparison to do so (as in, you played the same courses as the division above you) is how you would have finished had you played up. If you find yourself being consistently competitive (not necessarily cashing, but definitely finishing in the middle third), perhaps its time. If you find yourself doing it occasionally, perhaps you should do it occasionally (namely when the price tag is cheap). If you find yourself in deep donator range almost constantly, I'd suggest staying down, unless you signed up more for the experience of playing at that level.

I know a number of players who do just that, repeatedly, and often with the same results. Who am I to say that they're wrong to swim with the sharks. Its their money.

It seems to me that a decent number of people can get to the 950-970 range with a combination of some talent and some practice (or at least regular play). It takes an extra dose of natural talent and/or practice to go higher than that. Each person is different as to what it takes for them to realize their potential....or even come close to it. And, ultimately only the individual can know that for them self.

With that in mind, it is important to remember that life circumstances change. If you are in the lucky gene pool of natural giftedness the following does not apply: should you turn Pro and then you need to scale back practice/playing time due to work, relationships, kids, and/or health reasons be assured that your rating will drop and your ability to make money in DG (or even make a little just to come close to breaking even) will drop too.

Then competing can quickly become a burden and not a thrill.....and you will lose something that is a lot of fun.

the pdga has done all it can to blur the lines between am and pro so why not move up? you can always go back with the exception of major events.

Some of the older players are going to tell you that when they started playing there was only an open division. I came along when there were 3 distinct divisions, am, advanced and open. When you won your 1st am tourney you moved to advanced. From then on it was up to you to move up. My goal was to be a pro and I played advanced for an entire season and then moved up. I didn't know there was such a thing as an am worlds. And it wasn't exactly as Stan said. I went from winning advanced events into playing in the lead group of Open. One of my 1st events was Reedy Creek with Stan, Larry and Dave and myself in the lead group running away from the field.

I don't know what separates disc golfers. There are always some hotshot advanced players that make the move and become good pros. There are also some good advanced players that make the decision to stay advanced until they gain confidence or more distance or whatever. A few years later they are still playing advanced. All of us are different in our abilities.

You, in the lead group??? :)

I am actually in the same situation. The only difference with me is that I usually tense up in tournaments. I have only been playing for a little over a year so it is just experience. I have beaten every local pro, numerous times but play average in tournaments.

I say move up when your comfortable. When you know you can play a tournament and play like you always do, move up. Good luck to you!

Thanks for all the advice. I for sure is not doing it just for the money. I just don't want to feel like I am donating to the other Pros when I do have those bad holes. I also am not worried about any of those big Am tourneys. Right now I am playing in local no sanction stuff just to see where I stand and go from there.

Tournament play is all about experience. Knowing what to do in different situations and making the right decisions at the critical time. The only way to get the experience is to play in tournaments.

I would stay in advanced for at least one more year. If you are one of the top 5 Advanced players in the area then the experience of battling with your equals will help you a lot.

Playing against better players doesn't always make you better. If that were the case I would be world champ by now because everyone I play with is way better than me.

It's all about being in pressure situations and not letting that pressure get to you. Being a great player in the clutch moment is what separates the winners from second place. If you can put that plastic exactly where you want it when it counts the most it doesn't matter who else is there.

Tournament play is all about experience. Knowing what to do in different situations and making the right decisions at the critical time. The only way to get the experience is to play in tournaments.

I would stay in advanced for at least one more year. If you are one of the top 5 Advanced players in the area then the experience of battling with your equals will help you a lot.

Playing against better players doesn't always make you better. If that were the case I would be world champ by now because everyone I play with is way better than me.

It's all about being in pressure situations and not letting that pressure get to you. Being a great player in the clutch moment is what separates the winners from second place. If you can put that plastic exactly where you want it when it counts the most it doesn't matter who else is there.

hmmm like your take on this! good advice for new players such as myself about tourney play

Thanks for all the advice. I for sure is not doing it just for the money. I just don't want to feel like I am donating to the other Pros when I do have those bad holes. I also am not worried about any of those big Am tourneys. Right now I am playing in local no sanction stuff just to see where I stand and go from there.

It happens to everyone tho. In this past European Open, Mcbeth was leading bigtime until he took a 7 and an 8 within a few holes of each other. His tournament was done at that point.

My question is when I do play some sanctioned events this year should I move up to Pro or play Advanced and hone my skills a little more? Help me out here thanks!

O and my PDGA rating is such that I could sign up for Int. since I haven't played in one in so long. 930

Play middies and laugh about it.;)

Playing Pro tomorrow I guess we will see how bad I do. Wish me luck DCGR people.

Well played like crap which is what I get for not playing much and took forth. One away from cashing. Everything was coming out early due to not being able to pivot on my knee. That's just an excuse for my bad play. Oh well I guess.

4th isn't bad though, not sure out of how many that is how far off you were, but it sounds like you should keep it up!