• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Mando Consensus

Mando Consensus

• Total voters
The "V" trees on #9 at Richmond Hill form a double mando:

9ac22980.jpg

Do this hole really need a double mando?

if mandos are played by casual golfers like retrievable OB around here, then no, the casual golfers do not observe mando's either.

Mandos (and OBs) are often ignored or misplayed by casuals because they have no earthly clue what mandos or OB are. Just labeling something as "OB" on a tee sign or having an arrow on a tree (even if it says "mando") isn't going to tell anything to someone who's ignorant of the rule.

Granted, it's limited to my experience with my own course, but putting a description of the rule and how the mando/OB is played on the tee sign or mando sign decreases the number of players that ignore them. Sure, there are still players who won't read the sign or will read it and still not bother with it, but there are plenty of players who, just in trying to get over on their playing partners, will enforce those things on each other. Might not be 100% by the book, but I've seen it happen.

Still doesn't excuse "safety" mandos that are only effective if they're observed and are largely ignored, but I think the casual player can be educated.

I hate the ones at Oakwood and CP Adams.

i don't mind cp. i go left with something that'll go high and turnover back right into the trees. make it even or just past that concrete pad and you've got an open lane for long 2, easy 3.

i don't like the one at oakwood as much, but i understand trying to keep people from throwing at one another. geisinger was saying he thought it sucked because he goes over the tree and he can't with the mando.

i really only don't like it for hole 4's sake. i like taking the wide right route around the tree and seeing if i can get a 2. you can still get a good way up the fairway going under the tree on the left side though. so it's kinda meh.

I hate the CP one more so from missing it. I had every intention of going left but somehow the Trespass happened to turn just enough to miss that mando by less than two feet. If the mando had been earlier in the fairway, no way would I have missed it. Where I landed I was in no way threatening the other fairway.

However, I understand the whole concept of where would be a good spot to draw the line because I am certain if someone else had missed a mando that had been moved right and had missed it by two feet would have the same complaint as me.

If anything, my complaint at both CP and Oakwood were of mandos that were unnecessary and did not even serve their intended purpose; safety.

i don't mind cp. i go left with something that'll go high and turnover back right into the trees. make it even or just past that concrete pad and you've got an open lane for long 2, easy 3.

i don't like the one at oakwood as much, but i understand trying to keep people from throwing at one another. geisinger was saying he thought it sucked because he goes over the tree and he can't with the mando.

i really only don't like it for hole 4's sake. i like taking the wide right route around the tree and seeing if i can get a 2. you can still get a good way up the fairway going under the tree on the left side though. so it's kinda meh.

Nice dress Brian.

LOL.

I've never really thought much about that particular mando...I mean, for me, it's basically an unspoken mando anyway, because if I miss that line, it's an easter egg hunt on the valley floor. But, maybe that's what he meant about it not needing to be one.

I like well designed and executed mandos. They can really spice up an otherwise boring hole. The obvious ones that come to mind are the ones at Winthrop gold. I wouldn't get rid of a single one.

I generally like them best for tournaments and minis, to make things more difficult for the more serious players. There are a few around here for safety reasons (Bicentennial and Beaver both have them), but not many permenant ones.

Ask and ye' shall receive. Also the angled tree that looks like it coming out of the players head is ANOTHER mando. Thats a triple Mando right there, absolutly no safety concerns.

9385955c.jpg

Stupid.
Poor design.
Someone get this guys Designer's Club card back. He has no clue.

The "V" trees on #9 at Richmond Hill form a double mando:

9ac22980.jpg

Do this hole really need a double mando?

No, it's the only sensible line anyway, why mando it? That's using a mando as a gimmick on what looks like a very tough hole anyway. The only thing I can imagine it's trying to stop if not is some form of roller.

The other one above this post, again, seems like a gimmick for no good reason, I would only ever consider a thumber off the tee in that situation -maybe that's what it's there for.

Using them for safety reasons on public courses I just don't understand as a valid reason - why? Because the vast majority of casual players have no idea what a mando is and would not pay any attention to one so would throw the easiest route available.

Using them for safety in tournaments (to keep off another fairway) is good because everyone attempts at least to obey them making the play safer for all.

I personally like having mandos in the designers toolbox because we don't have a lot of public space in the UK and so sometimes you have to get creative to get good tournament holes in in a small area.

Give me 40 acres of featured land and i'll give you a great tournament 18 holes without mandos. Give me 15 acres and I'll hopefully give you a great tournament 18 holes but there will probably be a few mandos involved.

sometimes a mando forces the player to throw to the natural features, instead of taking the easy shot into space either side - IMO this is good, It's the line we all want to throw but if we were trying to get our best score we wouldn;t take it on unless forced to - eg -
VNjdPcK.jpg

oeovnk9.jpg

Easy RHBH hyzer outside the trees for the birdie - tougher straight shot down the tube of trees - that's the one instinctively the vast majority of players want to throw, the shot just feels right, but if you were not forced to take it you would take the low risk right route to pick up your easy 2. This is where the casual player would play the mando route without having to know it was the mando route, it just seems like the right option off the tee -it's only us more cynical score counters that find the best percentage shots, rather than the most fun. Sometimes I like to limit options and the mando can do that.

They have their place but I would always prefer to design using the natural features where possible.

Stupid.
Poor design.

2 design credits, not sure who did a majority, but based on layout, Id say it was the same person taht did, Frank Liske, The Bridges, Fox Chase in the area.

Stupid.
Poor design.

According to the DGCR listing, the designers are Harold Duvall and Russell Schwartz. Makes sense since it's in Rock Hill. Difficult to say they have no clue based on their resumes, Harold in particular.

I agree that it's kinda foolish, but if I remember correctly, that course is crammed into a space that really doesn't support 18 holes. And those mandos (and others like them on the same course) are there to direct the flow of disc traffic so that people aren't throwing through or wandering into adjacent fairways.

Definitely a situation of trying to make the most of what they had, but I think it would have been better served to be a 9 hole layout with more space between fairways. These mandos are a prime example of the type that are better off not existing because the holes they are on shouldn't exist as is.

Around here and in my experience they well used for safety concerns for the most part. And in a few cases to add another obstacle. In either case I have no problem with them.

As far as observance I've never seen anyone disregard them unless they were uninformed.

According to the DGCR listing, the designers are Harold Duvall and Russell Schwartz. Makes sense since it's in Rock Hill. Difficult to say they have no clue based on their resumes, Harold in particular.

I agree that it's kinda foolish, but if I remember correctly, that course is crammed into a space that really doesn't support 18 holes. And those mandos (and others like them on the same course) are there to direct the flow of disc traffic so that people aren't throwing through or wandering into adjacent fairways.Definitely a situation of trying to make the most of what they had, but I think it would have been better served to be a 9 hole layout with more space between fairways. These mandos are a prime example of the type that are better off not existing because the holes they are on shouldn't exist as is.

This hole does not accomplish what you describe. It is clear that these 3 trees were spotted. The designer wanted people to throw between them. If they had simply moved the tee 15' right there would be a great hole, as is most people (in tournaments) jump putt or thumber through the hole to get a good look through the trees to save par. If you go for the gap and the green, you are liable to go OB in the creek or even miss the 3rd Mando.

It is simply a case of seeing something then building other holes around it which isnt always great design.

Ask and ye' shall receive. Also the angled tree that looks like it coming out of the players head is ANOTHER mando. Thats a triple Mando right there, absolutly no safety concerns.

9385955c.jpg

That's great, ha ha. Geez.

I would definitely thumber through there; to make sure I made the mando....

I'd attempt to thumber through there, hit the first tree and throw my toys out of the pram. At least the thought process off the tee would have been right though :)

Where is the basket on this hole by the way?

Latest posts