• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Marbling agents

Here's the latest one sitting in the dye.

glowstarfiredye1_zps3cdd06c2.jpg

Dyed it first with red and yellow then did a second dye with the decal/stencil and black and blue. Hopefully I won't get too many drop outs/voids. We'll see how it turns out in a few hours or so.

By the way Dan, this method rules and I had a ton of fun doing it. My colors came out nice and vibrant by mixing 1oz liquid rit, 1oz water(intuition says this will dilute the dye mix but Actually it is essential for activation) and about 4oz of shaving cream. Came out the squirt bottle pretty thick but results came out great.

Going to try this tonight. I've heard from that liquid rit doesn't work on discs, but is that just particular colors?

BTW, this will be my first dye. I'm stoked to give it a try.

Here's the finished Glow Starfire dye. I think I'll go back and do an over dye on the Leopard. Not sure what though yet.

glowstarfire_zps2eb9b860.jpg

Sorry about the crappy phone pic. It was late,just got home from a Superbowl party. :D

Going to try this tonight. I've heard from that liquid rit doesn't work on discs, but is that just particular colors?

BTW, this will be my first dye. I'm stoked to give it a try.

You have to get liquid Rit batches that are dated 2010 or earlier for it to work on plastic. They changed the formula.

Yeah, the liquid rit did nothing. Well, it ever so slightly ghosted a marble onto a star plastic disc after 24 hours of sitting, but you have to look really hard to see it.

Thinking I'm just going to order the I dye poly and be done with the whole, "will it, or won't it," dance with rit.

Those look pretty damn awesome. How'd you get the dye to look separated like that?

Mixed iDye Poly with acetone (small amount of acetone)
Put S.C. (5 parts S.C. to 1 part water) in a large pizza pan
Dipped the disc until I got the design I wanted (large peaks of S.C. like a mountain range)
Squirted the dye onto the S.C. (saturated the top of the peaks)
Put it into a pan and then into my convection oven.
Bake on lowest setting (WARM @ 150 degrees, with the door open just slightly)
I imagine the actual temp was around 120-135.
Left it in there for 30 minutes.
Done

YMMV, but I clovered the living **** out of a disc the other night at 100 degrees for 20 minutes. The door wasn't cracked like ^JJ had his, but it was also on a lower temperature for less time. Just wanted to save someone from doing their first try on a disc they love.

Yeah, I clustered up a roc trying to "warm" it in a toaster oven on the lowest temp. Won't do that again.....

I am not a fan of how the shaving cream takes the foil off, especially the red foil stamps that I really like. Anybody doing any marbling with something other than shaving cream? I have a sweet first run ghost white with a red stamp that I want to keep intact............. Help a brother out........

A bed of shaving cream and the following dyes; Idye poly blue/purple/yellow/red. I also use rit neon yellow/neon pink & sunshine orange. "Slick off" the plate of shaving cream with a ruler, then using condiment bottles I got from the kitchen aisle in walmart, I sprinkled the various colors of dye around the bed of shaving cream, let it set for about 5 minutes and then took a small firm flat paint brush (think painting a picture paint brush, not paint a wall brush) and swirled the colors around until I got a pattern I liked and then just flipped the disc over and easily pushed it into the bed of s/c and let it sit for 24 hours. Take the plate and rinse it in the sink in cold water and presto! You got it.......... Here's a hint, if your shaving cream happens to be the foamy raspberry women's brand, it will smell awesome....

A question for you SC dyers....What does your bed of SC look like after your disc has sit for the dye? Every time i take my disc out whats underneath it is pretty much liquified. The SC thats not covered by the disc (stuff poping around the edges) is still foamy. Does your look like that?

The s/c around the edges on mine after the job is done is kinda dry/foamy if you get what I'm saying. The s/c under the dye is still a wet/foamy texture. I guess it's the exposure to air that dries it out like that on the edges.

I am not a fan of how the shaving cream takes the foil off, especially the red foil stamps that I really like. Anybody doing any marbling with something other than shaving cream? I have a sweet first run ghost white with a red stamp that I want to keep intact............. Help a brother out........

been wanting to try this after reading and seeing all the sick pictures.. I also wondered about other marbling agents like sour scream, yogurt, thick soaps/lotions, whipped cream, drywall mud, the list goes on lol just not sure what different effects or even if some would work. Wonder if anything special about SC is key..?

Latest posts