• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Marketplace Entry Fee

Status
Not open for further replies.
What the complainers here aren't taking into account is that's no great tragedy to the guy who's paying the bandwidth bill. I'd suspect the folks who are paying for stickies already have crowns.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised by the lengths many who play this game take to be frugal, but the complaining in this thread has got to be a new low. Maybe we should start a charity endowment for you guys who don't want to sacrifice a six pack, pack of smokes, or a handful of fountain drinks for a crown. I'll gladly throw in the first $10.

I would like to take credit for the complaining in this thread. And I will re-ask my orginal question.

Besides generating revenue for the site what problem is this solving?

Ohh, i got sidetracked...
The reason why citing this as security, and citing paypal dispute resolution is noto valid, is because we all use personal transactions. Because we don't want paypal to take that $.30 or whatever. Guess what? That means no dispute resolution!
If everyone on here started requiring a business transaction, what would happen?Prices would increase by fifty cents. And since no one bothers with half or quarter dollars here, that means a whole dollar increase.
Just where my devils advocate thoughts took me, figured I'd share.

And for the people taking the easy way out and saying "it's only $5!?!?! It's the least we can do!!!" keep in mind that this is a user driven site. Nobody is getting kickbacks to upload photos, reviews, or course maps, etc.

I'd be rich!!!!

I would pay it, but wouldnt it take away from those new guys who just want to buy once or sell once?

Seems the fee is only good for the serious traders/sales.

I find alot of my new run throwers go to new players with little or no trade rep yet.

I can see this seriously hampering the sales/trade traffic.

What the complainers here aren't taking into account is that's no great tragedy to the guy who's paying the bandwidth bill. I'd suspect the folks who are paying for stickies already have crowns.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised by the lengths many who play this game take to be frugal, but the complaining in this thread has got to be a new low. Maybe we should start a charity endowment for you guys who don't want to sacrifice a six pack, pack of smokes, or a handful of fountain drinks for a crown. I'll gladly throw in the first $10.

They have advertising revenues to pay for the bandwidth and the site. If they are having revenue problems, thats a problem. They have several companies paying advertising prices and that should cover the bandwidth needed I would think.

People who are complaining about this... That is really unfortunate. $5 to be able to sell on the site for an entire year seems like a great deal, and will help support the website and the man who has put tons of time into this website that we all dearly love.

I will say I have been on several communities with marketplaces (ice fishing and open water fishing sites) with large memberships and when they added a requirement to being a paid member of the site to use said section the sales and trades went from several every other day to several a YEAR.

Most new members to DGCR don't start out on or come here for the MP: They come for the course reviews and get hooked on the forum, then from there discover the MP. As long as the site retains it's quality (which the extra 5$ will go towards unless Timg develops a taste for Lobster stuffed with truffles), the MP will survive. Will it be more secure, probably not, but it will survive and DGCR will have more income.

People who are complaining about this... That is really unfortunate. $5 to be able to sell on the site for an entire year seems like a great deal, and will help support the website and the man who has put tons of time into this website that we all dearly love.

The idea of the $5 has absolutly nothing to do with supporting the website or the man who built it. Read his posts.

Edit: Yes, the money spent WILL support the site but that is not why he has proposed the $5 MP fee

Last edited:
i think the dg community on here is big enough that it wont hurt it . if u want to bst..just pay the 5 bucks a YEAR. i think people can swing 2¢ a day more or less

For five bucks I could get:

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

or.... a Jester Cap to sell/buy/trade on this site, where there are almost always great deals to be had. And as it has been stated, yes, you should STILL take into account a users feedback (I can't believe that even had to be said). If you're SO worried about getting burned in the first place, then maybe you shouldn't "buy" a $100.00 offline, from a guy you'll never meet etc.

Other than that, I think that this isn't that worst of ideas, maybe not the best either, but from a "trade here or there, for a disc or two" standpoint, this isn't all bad, it WOULD still be the guys looking for 30,40,50-100 bucks a disc you'd want to be weary of...

Most new members to DGCR don't start out on or come here for the MP: They come for the course reviews and get hooked on the forum, then from there discover the MP. As long as the site retains it's quality (which the extra 5$ will go towards unless Timg develops a taste for Lobster stuffed with truffles), the MP will survive. Will it be more secure, probably not, but it will survive and DGCR will have more income.

I came here for the marketplace actually. My local club pointed me towards it when iw as selling/trading on their forums and they are much more inactive so they told me about this place and I havent looked back since.

The issue I have with this is that it seems meretricious. Scammers are just as likely to operate, if not more so, under this guise of security the fee assumes. And/or the quality of the MP remains largely unchanged and/or the MP becomes drastically reduced to only ardent sellers peddling boutique plastic.

The idea of the $5 has absolutly nothing to do with supporting the website or the man who built it. Read his posts.

Edit: Yes, the money spent WILL support the site but that is not why he has proposed the $5 MP fee

I read his posts. I also read the posts by other people and they were complaining because they were basically just saying the $5 was an excuse to generate revenue.

since this is 9 pages deep, and people don't seem to be reading or fully comprehending, the discussion isnt a complaint about having to pay $5, or having to pay, or the amount. The discussion is about the security basis upon which it was proposed, and any security benefits it will result in, if any.
The "complainers" are merely of the opinion that a fee will provide no security benefit, and therefore none should be mentioned when officially implementing the MP requirement. Also that there is a distinct possibility that MP diversity will take a drastic cut, due to the people who might venture in to the MP not willing/wanting/able to pay the fee.

Personally, its up in the air for me. I dont sell plastic in the MP to make a profit. I'm financially stable, and don't need to sell my extra plastic. I sell it because I think, if I have it, and am not going to use it, someone else may like to. And fiscally breaking even (at best) or taking a loss, I accept so that other people may get plastic while saving money. If I''m then required to pay more, to continue to help people out, then I may lose all interest and just sell extra plastic to PIAS or locals. Which is considerably easier, less hassle, and less complicated than the MP.

The issue I have with this is that it seems meretricious. Scammers are just as likely to operate, if not more so, under this guise of security the fee assumes. And/or the quality of the MP remains largely unchanged and/or the MP becomes drastically reduced to only ardent sellers peddling boutique plastic.

You use a lot of big words my publick skool ain'ts learned me. but I think i like what you are saying.

Hey guys.... it'll still be FREE to VIEW mp threads and PURCHASE from the threads posted.

Paying a yearly $5 to create marketplace threads should have been institutionalized a long time ago.

If you are telling me I have to pay $5 to use the MP and it is for the site that is one thing but I am against instituting a fee if you are telling me it is for security purposes because it won't do anything for security.

And I have been ripped off on 2 CE Roc deals (transactions totalling $207) in the past few months so I am for any security measure that would actually work.

Hey guys.... it'll still be FREE to VIEW mp threads and PURCHASE from the threads posted.

Paying a yearly $5 to create marketplace threads should have been institutionalized a long time ago.

Hear that? That's the sound of all knots, in all the panties, coming undone all at once!

Good point jrawk. :hfive:

In terms of "safer", you guys can figure that out on your own

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts