• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Marketplace Entry Fee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is a quick breakdown of how I see the MP working for potential new users after the $5 fee is implemented...

1. Most users first transactions are impulse purchases, it will still be possible to private message or post on Sale/Deal threads for anybody. There will be no change for new users or current users.

2. New users looking to offload some plastic? Use the search feature for existing wanted threads of disc molds you want to sell, pm potential buyers or post in the wanted thread with what you have for sale. There will be no change for new users or current users.

3. New users have plastic to trade? Again, use the search feature for existing threads of disc molds you would like to trade, pm potential traders or post in the trade thread with what you have to offer. There will be no change for new users or current users.

4. New users want to offload a bunch of plastic? $5 per year gets you the option to create as many threads as you need to in order to buy/sell/trade your extra discs away. A minor change that will probably result in better marketplace thread management at the very least.

Does anybody else have any questions or concerns?

Here is a quick breakdown of how I see the MP working for potential new users after the $5 fee is implemented...

1. Most users first transactions are impulse purchases, it will still be possible to private message or post on Sale/Deal threads for anybody. There will be no change for new users or current users.

2. New users looking to offload some plastic? Use the search feature for existing wanted threads of disc molds you want to sell, pm potential buyers or post in the wanted thread with what you have for sale. There will be no change for new users or current users.

3. New users have plastic to trade? Again, use the search feature for existing threads of disc molds you would like to trade, pm potential traders or post in the trade thread with what you have to offer. There will be no change for new users or current users.

4. New users want to offload a bunch of plastic? $5 per year gets you the option to create as many threads as you need to in order to buy/sell/trade your extra discs away. A minor change that will probably result in better marketplace thread management at the very least.

^^ this.. honestly I can't believe there is this much debate over $5?. I usually spend more than that on my morning coffee and donut, well at least until I gave up donuts. :thmbdown:

Anyone who is using the MP is spending $$$. Whether you trade, buy or sell you spend some cash here and there. A $5 posting fee is nothing, most of you will tax your R Pro Wahoo enough to make up for it anyway. Either way this site has been good to me and I wouldn't mind supporting it in any way possible. Come on people, if you post in the Marketplace to buy, sell or trade this is very minor and should be overshadowed by the deals to be had anyway.

You have my support!!!

^^ this.. honestly I can't believe there is this much debate over $5?. I usually spend more than that on my morning coffee and donut, well at least until I
gave up donuts

A certain group on here knows appreciation to this site

I'm not wasting time reading through all these posts but I'll just say that I have no problem with $5 for the opportunity to sell here. Even if it changed nothing and was only a revenue source for timg, I'd still easily do it as it is a deal.........jb

If you want to be fair (like with the Pay It Forward thread) then make it mandatory for all users of the Marketplace to pay the 5 dollar fee. No matter whether you have a crown or not. A new crown should be implemented and if you don't have it you cannot see or access the Marketplace. Everybody pays. Who cares who you exclude? People with no money or on a budget? Your Poor your Tired Your hungry?

200+ iTrader for free:rolleyes:

I've been meaning to get a puurty crown:|

Honestly Tim that is kinda what I see as well. Charging a fee to hopefully deter scammers (when it has been shown that scammers will pay the fee because it's simply a cost of doing business) and then not giving any info to help someone who has been scammed is kinda bogus.

If you want it to be a fundraiser, then just say so. None of us will judge you for that, you invest time and money into the site and want to make some, no shame in that. But charging the entry fee under the guise of "It'll help deter scammers" and then not taking the next logical step which is to then have someone involved to help catch scammers and give out whatever info you have is kinda weak.

^^^^^

Meh, it's only $5. Though I didn't read all of the responses I don't see how it could really upset anyone.

Those of us that have been around since the beginning have seen this site come a LONG way over the years and it ain't free. Time is money and $5/yr is the least we can do to keep this site going for years to come.

I'm going to write a letter to ebay and see if they'll only charge me $5 a year.

It's worth a shot, AMIRITE?

I'm going to write a letter to ebay and see if they'll only charge me $5 a year.

It's worth a shot, AMIRITE?

I have $5 bucks that says you don't even get a reply :)

Care to take me up on this wager? Posting shots of email(s) is a given :thmbup: I'm willing to lose just to find out what they would say

If you want to be fair (like with the Pay It Forward thread) then make it mandatory for all users of the Marketplace to pay the 5 dollar fee. No matter whether you have a crown or not. A new crown should be implemented and if you don't have it you cannot see or access the Marketplace. Everybody pays. Who cares who you exclude? People with no money or on a budget? Your Poor your Tired Your hungry?

^^this is ridiculous. it's not about money or profit for most people. trading is the essence of the mp. making it pay-to-view really would kill it.

200+ iTrader for free:rolleyes:

I've been meaning to get a puurty crown:|

if you have 200+ and don't have one, that's weak. myself included. anyone that had made that many deals is either
a. made of money already or
b. making lots of deals on discs and making profit here and there

either way, you can afford it.

i've been saying that i was going to do it. so before i finished typing this post, i did :thmbup:

If you want it to be a fundraiser, then just say so.

He did! Holy crap, he's not saying it will deter all scams. It will provide a LITTLE security.

While this will obviously help generate some revenue, it will also provide a little security.

Direct quote from the OP. PLEASE READ PEOPLE. From the beginning of this, he said it would generate funds AND provide a small deterrent. He's not hiding behind anything. He clearly stated this in the above quote!

Last edited:
Word up Harkey!!! My goodness I threw away $5 yesterday in soda and coffee.

I will pay for everyone's crowns with the millions I will make from my new Panties De-wadder (patent pending).

It hould help greatly to limit one active thread started per member like in the vendor section.

Not sure if it will work that way since your $5 yearly donation gives you the right to post in the MP. It does not limit the amount of posts you can make in any way. But I do agree the MP would be a little easier to navigate if everyone only had one sale thread instead of making multiples of the same thread to get things to move to the top.

if it was limited to one sale thread per member then you should consider changing the repost time from 24 to 12 hours.

for example, sometimes i reply to someone at 5:00pm before I leave work. then when i come in the first thing next a.m., it would be nice to bump the thread instead of waiting all freakin' day again and have the daytime browsers potentially miss out on the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.