• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Marking Discs: Big Jerm's ID "stamp"

fubu

So I'm watching the Big Jerm ITB and I notice his logo stamped on his discs, obviously as his disc identification. It looks to me like a custom made "rubber stamp" and I thought that was pretty cool.
That got me thinking of how I could do something like that. I know it's easy enough to grab a Sharpie and just write your name/PDGA #/phone #/etc but if simple was all disc golfers needed we wouldn't have as many products as we do (and if they spend any time lost, they need re-marking). Obviously custom rubber stamps aren't that tough to come up with, but what kind of ink would he use? The rubber stamps I've seen in an office/industrial environment are usually water-based and would wash off really easy.
Or maybe I'm off here, maybe his are more like custom dye jobs, or he uses a stencil and a Sharpie?

Attachments

• maxresdefault.jpg
    maxresdefault.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 105
This may not help much, but I watched one of the Eagle Vlogs - the one where he is in his house in CO showing his discs in the basement and other gear. He has a similar stamp like Jerm's and says the website he gets them from in that video.

Maybe google disc golf rubber stamps.

This is what I mark discs with. I call it Angry Man. Generally the face I make after a putt. That is how it started, on my putters. I put it on the back of my discs. Probably not the best for getting lost discs back, but if I lose one, I don't expect to get it back.

pub

Last edited:
Rubberstampchamp.com
Custom wood 2x2 stamp
Stazon permanent ink

I bought a Godfather stamp on Etsy and I use that to stamp my discs. Stazon permanent ink is what you want, as tylerc said.

QdsU5a9.png

I thought about getting something like a playing card and making a stencil to go over with a sharpie. You could print out what you want, lay it over the card and trace the outline with something hard and pointy to create an indention outline on the card. Then exacto knife it out. Once you had the stencil made it would be almost as fast as a stamp and much cheaper.

I got my son two rubber stamps for Christmas 2015.
One for the bottom that read,
If lost please contact
Name
Phone number.

And another stamp thats his initials and pdga# for the top of discs.

The company had a stamp pad designed to be used on plastic.
It takes a bit of technique to get nice looking stamps.
We started on a piece of glossy cardboard then moved to discs once we figured out how often to blot the stamp, and how much pressure to apply.
They work best on dx, pro or star.
It is a bit lighter looking on champ, so we hit those a few times to darken them up.

This is what I mark discs with. I call it Angry Man. Generally the face I make after a putt. That is how it started, on my putters. I put it on the back of my discs. Probably not the best for getting lost discs back, but if I lose one, I don't expect to get it back.

pub

Some of us will actually try to contact you just based on your PDGA number, especially if the disc looks like one you would definitely want back. I found a viking years back with just a PDGA number in it, I looked it up and found the guy at a tournament a few months later but he didn't want it back because he had snobbishly switched to all Discraft. His name was Michael Jo-something.

Cool angry man stamp, as a fellow angry man I approve.

I recently got a stamp made from rubberstamps.net. It works pretty good I did find a helpful youtube video on how to apply stamps to get good coverage. Basically use the twist-twist-pat-pat method to ink the stamp. Place on the ink pad and twist it, then pat it twice. Then apply even pressure from both sides and lift it straight off of the disc. You don't want it to move any, or it will blur.

$30 for the stamp, $10 for the Staz-on ink pad. Good investment if I actually get some lost discs returned...

You'd call this guy back, right?

Attachments

• 20170519_083436.jpg
    20170519_083436.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 621
Yeah, I was considering, "text me!" with me miming a text with my index finger, and an even stupider photo of myself wide eyed and making an "ooo!" face, but the sarcastic phone hand was easier to photoshop/pixlr.

Art poster filter on a stupid pic I already had on my computer, plus google image search of "phone hand", and voila! (yes, that's a ladies hand...)
call-me-hand-signal-beautiful-smiling-woman-18156059.jpg

You should have had a stamp made with a cute girl's face, you would get more calls. :)

You could sign all of your discs with "<3 Holly" and your phone number.

Of course, it may be a bad idea to impersonate a pro disc golfer. Not unlike, say, impersonating a park ranger.

Stazon

I got the stazon ink pad and it left a "detectable thickness" on my champion plastic. Is this what Jerm is using or is there something that they use that absorbs into the plastic the way sharpie does?

I got the stazon ink pad and it left a "detectable thickness" on my champion plastic. Is this what Jerm is using or is there something that they use that absorbs into the plastic the way sharpie does?

Multiple pros stamps that I've felt and my own also have a technically detectable thickness. If you brush across them, you can feel that it is there. I think it's a don't ask, don't tell type of situation. As long as nobody has any reason to suspect it's changing the disc, nobody really cares.

Latest posts