• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

McBeth vs. Climo

McBeth vs. Climo

• McBeth

Votes: 192 60.4%
  • Climo

Votes: 126 39.6%

• Total voters
Imo team sports dont work in this equation. Way to many factors. We can have this discussion about paul/champ because they are (at its core) playing against the course. You know before the tournament if you shot 18 under you should win or tie and go to a playoff.

Your chances of winning are solely in your hands.

Ok; Laver and Federer...

I'm in the camp that we can't have one single "GOAT." Great players come and go, and we see greatness evolve, with technology, knowledge, health, etc.

I find this [kind of] argument to be hypothetical, psychological at best. I'm not against it, though, especially when it's civilized. Both these guys were/are awesome at this sport. They're both "the best," relative to their time.

Ok; Laver and Federer...

I'm in the camp that we can't have one single "GOAT." Great players come and go, and we see greatness evolve, with technology, knowledge, health, etc.

I find this [kind of] argument to be hypothetical, psychological at best. I'm not against it, though, especially when it's civilized. Both these guys were/are awesome at this sport. They're both "the best," relative to their time.

Nope. Tennis doesnt work either. Your not actively playing against another human. Your score will be your score regardless.
I honestly think if someone cared enough to put metrics together of paul/climos AND the top 5 players of each year they played, you could get an idea of competition and how much they actually dominated.

With disc golf, i think we could mathematically get a rough idea of their greatness.

Nope. Tennis doesnt work either. Your not actively playing against another human. Your score will be your score regardless.
I honestly think if someone cared enough to put metrics together of paul/climos AND the top 5 players of each year they played, you could get an idea of competition and how much they actually dominated.

With disc golf, i think we could mathematically get a rough idea of their greatness.

And I accept that this is your belief :) Honestly, a metric like that would be cool. But I still believe the only way is to have them both live out around the same age, and compete under the same circumstances (ie Kenny got to only do disc golf or Paul had to work to live, and other things to consider). Unless we develop a time machine, I still believe greatest comes in waves.

Or maybe he has uh, I don't know, a FAMILY!!! Dude is 51 years old. He may be playing a lot more than we think, just maybe with his own family and not competitive events
https://discgolf.ultiworld.com/2018/09/28/im-back-ken-climo-registers-usdgc/
"Climo has not played much in the past few years, once in 2017 and eight times in 2016, due to injuries and a desire to spend more time with his family."

https://discgolf.ultiworld.com/livewire/climo-withdraws-usdgc/
"My injury is forcing me to pull out," USDGC 2018

2019 USDGC DNF.
https://www.pdga.com/tour/event/39018#MPO
Ken is ultra competitive, no way he doesn't finish USDGC unless he physically can't.

And I accept that this is your belief :) Honestly, a metric like that would be cool. But I still believe the only way is to have them both live out around the same age, and compete under the same circumstances (ie Kenny got to only do disc golf or Paul had to work to live, and other things to consider). Unless we develop a time machine, I still believe greatest comes in waves.

Even with a time machine, we can't decide who is greatest of all time until after all time has passed. Let's meet at the Restaurant at the End of the Universe and discuss it then.

I like and appreciate both players, so no real dog in the fight...and this may have been posted (if so, sorry), but

2015 USDGC, round 2. After 12 holes, McBeth, -11; Climo, -9; Wysocki, -9; Proctor, -8. Sadly Climo got into a bad place and struggled to get up to the tough green on 13 and fell off the pace, carding a +7 on just that hole.

But over halfway thru round 2 of the first or second (depending on your POV) biggest event in disc golf, Climo, at 22 and 25 years older than McBeth and Wysocki, is hanging right there with them both.

I am also of the camp that you cannot compare players in different eras in any sport. But how many top pros today would like to play as well as Climo was, at age 47, back in that tourney? How many 1000+ players have never played that well? I have to say I was impressed with his play that day. Did I mention he was 47 at the time? :)

If you have not seen that video yet, check it out. Really neat to see players with (now) 19 total MPO championships on one card.

"best" and "greatest" are very different. Climo is the greatest. Paul is the best.

Woj, I'll wait until you give me your definition. If you have, then I've missed it. My point therein is that we can all "say" what we think, but to validate it, argue for or against it, agree with it or disagree with it, we have to know what you mean. I think I gave mine, so let's hear yours.

We can say with accuracy what he did do in his circumstances. In discussing the best - circumstances always play a role. Who would have been the greatest player in disc golf in the 1990s if the sport was big enough to absorb thousands more athletes from various backgrounds? Using your same what-if level questions, we can extrapolate from today's game that Climo would not have dominated the 1990s, just like you're extrapolating that Climo could have been better than Paul in the 2010s.

Woj, I may have not stated it clearly, because I see you were misinterpreting what I said about Ken's rating (not having one) in the prime of his career. I wasn't saying or extrapolating that I could "move Champ into the 2010s and he'd have dominated" -- then or now. The point I was simply making was to the people saying Ken's rating never got to Paul's is that, well, that is true for Kenny ages 30 and up. But he won 8 Worlds Championships before there were ratings, before ratings were invented. We literally do not know what his rating was or could have been when he was 21-29 years old. No speculation from me at all, though, about what he'd do or have done in the 2010s or 2020s. I am not doing that. I don't do that.

And no, (for the part in red) I am a proponent, as I have said consistently in this argument here and about every sport, that you CANNOT objectively compare across eras. There are too many variables -- in every sport. All you can do is develop your own definition of "greatness" or "best" or "most talented" or whatever you want to call it, and stand behind what you individually value. Again, I go back to Babe Ruth in baseball. I have no doubt that nearly every 25th player on every MLB roster today is "a better athlete" than Babe was in his prime. But no one dominated his own era the way the Babe did. To me that's what makes the greatest. (Trout's career isn't over yet; just throwing that in.)

Paul retires or gets hurt today he has no chance to be considered the GOAT. Best - sure. Not that he will be in a few generations. But right now he is.

One thing's for sure... he stopped dominating the big events at nearly the same level almost as soon as he hit the age of 30. The field got right up on his ass at about that time. If Paul can stay a full step ahead of the field through his 30s - he clearly supersedes Climo as the GOAT as well as the fully realized best.

I do agree with the first sentence. So many calling him the GOAT right now are adding in "what (in their mind) they think Paul's gonna do." Very few state unequivocally, if the earth was raptured tomorrow, or Paul get a job with ESPN paying 10 times as much and doesn't disc golf anymore, that then Paul was/is the GOAT.

About that last paragraph, well, again, you can "say" that abut Kenny. And cause you closer in age and have seen more dg than a lot of these posters, I do want to hear your reasoning. But you're gonna have to define "stopped dominating big events if want to claim it. Because as I recall, Champ won three Worlds and all five of his USDGC's after the age of 30. So just need to understand what you meant by that. I can accept, "not dominating like he had before" because facts support that. But getting those EIGHT big W's at big events from ages 30-38 is pretty darned amazing, in my mind. There's a lot of disc golfers today that can only hope to win 8 of the next 18 Worlds & USDGC's they play in. And it would be career-making even for the guys and ladies in their 20s.

OTOH, two perfect rounds of -18? Both in top A tier events? Come on now...

I simply prefer to enjoy them both and all they have done in and for the sport.

McBeth is the Goat. Climo was playing against smokey hippies, while McBeth is dominating with some pretty crazy talented athletes.

McBeth is the Goat. Climo was playing against smokey hippies, while McBeth is dominating with some pretty crazy talented athletes.

And you know that/say that because....?

And in a sport where you play against a course and not other players, how in the world does it matter anyway? I mean i think your premise there is seriously flawed, but even so, what the diff in this discussion?

And in a sport where you play against a course and not other players, how in the world does it matter anyway?

When people say "play the course, not the other players", they are alluding to the mental aspect of the game.

You are absolutely playing the other players. The end of a tournament doesn't have everyone comparing their scores to some set course benchmark, and high fives around if you passed it. They compare with each other and lowest score wins. Increase the number of players in a field that can consistently turn in low scores, and your chances of winning back to back Worlds decreases.

Most players don't know or remember that Climo shot an 1117 rated round for shooting -23 after shooting par on the first hole of a 24-hole layout. Is -23 in a row better than -18? Climo did it in 2009 when he was supposedly "over the hill". See Range A on page 1.

That's impressive. But only three 1000+ players? Add just the top fifty of the 1000+ rated players at Jonesboro, when McBeth shot the 18down, into that tourney (holes averaging 295, not including the added 6), and with holes that short, no matter how wooded, I feel like we'd see a few shoot lights out.

That's impressive. But only three 1000+ players? Add just the top fifty of the 1000+ rated players at Jonesboro, when McBeth shot the 18down, into that tourney (holes averaging 295, not including the added 6), and with holes that short, no matter how wooded, I feel like we'd see a few shoot lights out.
I think what has been missing in this discussion is the fact that Climo continued to win against many more players who could throw as far or farther than he could because distance was relatively less important than disc skills. It's not about how many 1000 plus players some one is playing against but how many players can throw as far as you as you can so your skill and mental game has to kick in in order to win consistently.

The change in the game where distance is more important has meant there are fewer players that can throw as far with a similar skill set as McBeth. The fact there are more rated over 1000 isn't as important as the number of players close to the distance AND skill level needed for your era.

Doss was part of the old school skill set but had developed into the newer age distance crew. He broke through on the longest set of Worlds courses to that date in 2005. Barry and Ken were close but I suspect there were just enough holes where Doss had the range to pick up a stroke or two. He continued to pick up titles in 2007 and 2011 with similar contemporaries Feldberg and Jenkins getting them in 2008 and 2009. Note that Climo got another win in 2006 on the shortest set of Worlds courses in that year range showing his legendary tenacity on courses with a level playing field where he could still reach the holes similar to the majority of the field for birdie and eagle chances.

In the 90s, most of the open field could reach every legit par 2/3 and few could reach legit par 4s. If you didn't have the disc skills and putting on leaky Mach 3 baskets, your extra power didn't matter. Stokely once told me to never design for his distance range because he was freak and it wasn't fair for the field if he was the only one who even had a chance to eagle. Now, there are always a handful of holes on tour where only McBeth and few other elite players have a chance at eagle either by accident or by design. They won't get them every round but the point is that no one else has a shot without a rare throw-in. All it takes just one or two holes where you're one of a handful of players who can gain a stroke here or there to win.

Most players don't know or remember that Climo shot an 1117 rated round for shooting -23 after shooting par on the first hole of a 24-hole layout. Is -23 in a row better than -18? Climo did it in 2009 when he was supposedly "over the hill". See Range A on page 1.

And on the round Champ shot the -23, he did it with 23 straight birdies. He didn't have any par 4's to bail him out for "perfection". That is impressive to me on ANY legit course by ANYbody.

When people say "play the course, not the other players", they are alluding to the mental aspect of the game.

You are absolutely playing the other players. The end of a tournament doesn't have everyone comparing their scores to some set course benchmark, and high fives around if you passed it. They compare with each other and lowest score wins. Increase the number of players in a field that can consistently turn in low scores, and your chances of winning back to back Worlds decreases.

You're missing the point. There's no one to "play defense" or "out hit" you like there is in team sports or individual sports like tennis or racquetball, etc. No one can "stop" you from scoring in disc golf. Nothing at all. Paul can shoot the exact same on the Toboggan if only 900 players are on the course. As can Champ at Coachman

Last edited:
boVcAKw.jpg
[/IMG]