• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discmania] MD5

No bead is fine I guess - not every OS mid needs to be beadless. On the other hand, DM only throwers are left with this and the P3X for little FH upshots... hope you don't mind a bead in your FH grip??

Is this gator variant like the caiman and mortar or something unique?

To me at least the justice feels a little more driverish than say a gator. I guess I figured one of these new OS mids would be similar...kinda tweener like.

Quite OS but has some glide. I was looking to replace my Buzzz OS, or at least compete with it. It can definitely handle all the power I can give...

I'm rather disappointed, just another gator, mortar, caiman clone. Only overstable fh dm approach discs are beaded, why I'm throwing zone and deflector instead.

I also don't like how this run of md5 and more recent mortar runs have bubbles in rim that feel like sandpaper in the hand.

Which is more of a let down, the new fd2 or the md5, I dunno.

My domey orange is less stable than deflector, more like runway. Ppl are claiming pink to be flatter.

Last edited:
My domey orange is less stable than deflector, more like runway. Ppl are claiming pink to be flatter.

Can confirm, pink is pretty flat meanwhile the orange has noticeable dome. The orange is not as domey as one of my MF Gators and the pink one is almost as flat as the Withers gator.

I have a first run champ gator (REALLY old and VERY OS), and my pink MD5s are domier than it. Roughly the same stability, with the champ being a bit more OS and less glide.

I'd say Innova's Caiman is probably your best bet then. Every DM thrower knows how DM discs that are popular are generally out of stock more often then they are in stock, Mortars are similar for that reason.

Over the past few months, I've purchased or traded for 11 Mortars in four different plastics. I'm probably not done, but even if I were, I figure it's a lifetime supply.

No bead is fine I guess - not every OS mid needs to be beadless. On the other hand, DM only throwers are left with this and the P3X for little FH upshots... hope you don't mind a bead in your FH grip??
Innova only has two beadless beefy mids in production (correct me if I'm wrong). The Camien and the Mortar. The Mortar isn't even beadless anymore. I believe 1.3s were the last run before the microbead was introduced. I'll most likely bag the MD5. I just wish it was beadless.

Beadless yes. Beefy...? Not so much.

Can confirm, for me anyway. Throw Caiman and Rat the same and the Rat will turn, maybe .5. I swear my star rats are a touch more stable than the color glow. Im interested in a hard champ run when it comes. Having said that I kinda like the little bit of turn it keeps me honest with my form =) BUT oddly this does not happen when thrown BH for me, only FH ...probably some lingering wrist roll hidden by the more OS discs.