• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Mental Game

Traver

Par Member
I've noticed that on my best days on the course the thing that stands out the most to me is the mood I was in. Considering that aside from weather conditions the game is pretty consistent. Unlike other sports where you are directly competing against others, Disc Golf is basically played against oneself. I've heard it one here numerous times that disc golf is a mental sport (I won't bother with the percentages).
I played in a local singles tournament the other day and shot about 10 over what I feel I am capable of, this is nothing new.
I wonder if anyone else has has similar problems and if so what they did or are doing to correct it. Take a deep breath, a moment, a toke? Set clear goals? Stop to think? Or stop thinking?
What works for you?

The only way to play your best in tournaments is to play more tournaments. You have to get over the newness and let it become ordinary. Learn to like the pressure. Also practice putting in a hallway. Then picture that hall when you have a big putt. Bring the walls in and close out all the distractions. Work more on fitness because mental lapses happen when you're tired.

do what your b-ball coach always said take high percentage shots, the % want always be in your favor but its gonna pay off in the long run.

Those are both great tips... I may have found the real problem with my game. I never played b-ball though, or any sport for that matter, haha. Keep 'em coming.

I listen to my shuffle which helps me ignore the distractions and keeps my mine off of the bad shots. It relaxes me and helps me keep my mind straight.

I listen to my shuffle which helps me ignore the distractions and keeps my mine off of the bad shots. It relaxes me and helps me keep my mind straight.

To keep my mind straight I try to give Roc1Time as much grief as possible. It is really a win-win situation. ;)

I have the same problem... and actually shot the same +10 in my last tourney. However the one thing that helped me alot was the fitness comment. I played multiple rounds leading up to the tourney and jogged alot. This helped a lot, instead of being tired at the end of the first round i felt grea all day. I also packed my own lunch and drinks in a cooler. That way i knew i didnt have to worry about any of that.

However with all that said, i think experience helps the most and i dont have that yet either.

I have played numerous sports with decent success and it was always training my mind to focus.

I had a friend that would count to ten before he started. Another would just go right at whatever it was. Any time to think made him physic himself out. I know a local pro that does visualization (he pictures the entire throw in his head from the windup to landing).

For me it is a deep breath and relax. Or I am too tense. Other thing is to stop talking so much. The camaraderie is a big part of it for me but the teasing and stuff is a distraction.

You have to find whatever works to maintain focus and practice at it.

We often talk about how important muscle memory is. This is the same but it is for the mind.

I have been thinking about this ever since my last spouting off.

In any sport where I was successful and even in life itself it has always come down to focus. Whether its focusing on the next throw or putt or on some goal you have for your life.

Focus on the task at hand to the exclusion of all others. It is how any great athletes are able to overcome the annoyance of crowd noise, the missed tackle or a bad shot.

Train and discipline yourself to block it out. Don't say you can't because you can. I lived with my grandmother when I was a teenager and she got tried of me saying "I can't do this or that". She told me a piece of advise I have never forgotten... "Can't never did nothing".

Hey Brother Dave, I know that is a double negative but you get the point.

Actually, it's funny you mention be well-rested and fed because i was going to stop for a sub before the tournament but I ran out of time. I felt okay physically but I hadn't eaten anything yet that day.
I guess a tournament can really throw you off, I was so preoccupied with watching what other players were doing that I was trying to mimic them and it threw me off my game. Everyone was doing really fast and precise run-ups so I think I was trying to do that too even though I'm unpracticed in that regard.
The high-percentage shots thing is another thing I could greatly benefit from. It's hard for me to decline the possible deuce shots for a high-percentage three; I guess I'm a gambler ^^.

Actually, it's funny you mention be well-rested and fed because i was going to stop for a sub before the tournament but I ran out of time. I felt okay physically but I hadn't eaten anything yet that day.
I guess a tournament can really throw you off, I was so preoccupied with watching what other players were doing that I was trying to mimic them and it threw me off my game. Everyone was doing really fast and precise run-ups so I think I was trying to do that too even though I'm unpracticed in that regard.
The high-percentage shots thing is another thing I could greatly benefit from. It's hard for me to decline the possible deuce shots for a high-percentage three; I guess I'm a gambler ^^.
i didnt mean to just lay-up all the time what im saying is run the numbers in your head and figure out if the shot your gonna take is worth the risk if your a little off , most of the time my first instinct is the safest choice but if i notice something else that might work better i try to figure out if the risk is worth the reward .

the way i go about birdies is i try to make mine off the tee and if i can go for it off the fairway and not hurt my par chance then i do it, but one of the worse things you can do is turn a bird into a boge.

if your just playing casual dont be afraid to take risk thats a good way to test your ability to make those tough shots and a good way to judge what your %s are on the big stage.