• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Michigan end of April

The trip went well, played lots of golf and drank some great beer. I skipped Luddington and it worked out in my favor since I got to play Blue Gill. I hesitated making the change, but was rewarded by playing Gill's private course. I don't really have a top 10 list, more like a top 30 or so that I click "favorite" on here. Blue Gill definitely makes that list. I walked around BG smiling all morning...well until about hole 16, then my game went to shlit haha! The course I consider the best, Bucksnort, had me walking around smiling too, but it also had my jaw almost dragging on the ground as I said wow, omg or oh f*ck on most of the holes.

Courses:
Rolling hills, Independence- Red hawk, Burchfield, Shore acres, Flip, Branstrom, blue gill, Oshtemo, victory, Cass benton
Breweries:
Old nation, Odd sides, Perrin, Founders, Bells

Were you solo on this trip?

I've been wanting to take a trip up to MI myself, and was leaning towards next month with a couple guys. I'm the only one in my group who plays more than once a month so anytime multiple courses get tossed around, I know that if i'm sore the other guys are dead.

Looks like a solid trip though! What area did you like the most? Detroit is about 4 hours drive for me so it's always been a trip on my mind.

Courses:
Rolling hills, Independence- Red hawk, Burchfield, Shore acres, Flip, Branstrom, blue gill, Oshtemo, victory, Cass benton
Breweries:
Old nation, Odd sides, Perrin, Founders, Bells

First off congrats on bagging some sweet courses and especially a chance to play Blue Gill, still waiting to cross that one off my DG bucket list. :clap:

Second, I feel at 3.68 DGCR rating that Victory Park (Albion, MI) is really underrated. My theory is some folks hate water holes and even more hate sometimes walking away from a disc in the water. Almost all the short holes have OB around them and/or tough basket placement for rollaways. Curious to hear your thoughts and opinions on Victory Park.

Were you solo on this trip?

I've been wanting to take a trip up to MI myself, and was leaning towards next month with a couple guys. I'm the only one in my group who plays more than once a month so anytime multiple courses get tossed around, I know that if i'm sore the other guys are dead.

Looks like a solid trip though! What area did you like the most? Detroit is about 4 hours drive for me so it's always been a trip on my mind.

Yup, solo as usual. Usually, if I travel with others, I'll only get one course a day since they're not as into it as me. Michigan is great for dg and beer, so that's what I did haha. I was sore of and on throughout the days, but I've done this kinda trip often and have a regimen of advil, stretching, warm ups, hot tubs, beer, etc to keep my aging body going without injury. My level of performance fluctuated to, but seeing as it's a vacation, I'm not too worried about score. As for my favorite area, it's hard to say since I traversed the state twice in 5 days and only played ten courses.
I thought about this trip for 3-4 years before finally pulling the trigger.

First off congrats on bagging some sweet courses and especially a chance to play Blue Gill, still waiting to cross that one off my DG bucket list. :clap:

Second, I feel at 3.68 DGCR rating that Victory Park (Albion, MI) is really underrated. My theory is some folks hate water holes and even more hate sometimes walking away from a disc in the water. Almost all the short holes have OB around them and/or tough basket placement for rollaways. Curious to hear your thoughts and opinions on Victory Park.

I liked Victory a lot, but it has safety issues, the water holes and a few boring holes. I only played a few of them as I showed up during their weekly doubles and didn't want to get in their way. I ran into two groups looking for lost discs on 11 and by ran into, I mean I watched 5/6 people throw right into the water lol. I laid up everything and didn't lose any, so was happy. It's not quite a 4, so I kinda agree with the average rating as is.

thanks for the full report. victory is now on my list. can't believe I missed that one. it is on the way up to Ludington for me so a no brainer on stopping to play.

the water looks gorgeous on that one too.

Victory is an interesting course with elevation (mostly 1-8), water (9-14) and some legit par 4's (1, 5, 17) and a tough 990 foot par5 (12). Some holes do play close to roads/sidewalks with some baskets in tricky hillside spots. Can also be problematic during the summer with wedding and outdoor gatherings sometimes blocking #7 and #17.

The water holes generally aren't too bad as you can retrieve your discs with a golden retriever, disc gator or even wading in as a last resort. Hole 9 is a tiny, skinny creek right by the basket with a small puddle/pond just left of basket. Hole #10 is probably the signature hole and the large body of water there is not deep and somewhat flat for the retriever. Hole 11 is the dreaded 200 ft hole with a stagnant duck pond running entire left side (dont walk in this one). 12 is the 990 ft monster with OB and water OB (swimming pond people rarely swim in). Hole 13 has a shallow river on left side easy to get discs. Hole 14 is the 140 ft peninsula hole, dont be short as rapids and rocky bottom make disc retrieval very hard.