• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Mid Ranges... What's the Point?

Please tell me how you think you know me?

This

Vitals:
Years playing/experience: DG 4 monthsish?
Right/left-handed/ambidextrous: right-handed
Throwing Style: RHBH, Little bit of Flicking, and Tomahawks for trouble.
Golf Distance for putter/mid/driver: Wizard 50ft/125ft, Mid-I haven't found a mid I like. King 250ft/325ft, Avenger 200ft/290ft, Teebird 200ft/265ft

Optional:
Sex: M
Injuries/handicaps?: Light knee pain, but it goes away.
Other sport proficiencies?: Tennis, Billiards
Additional Information:
What do you like/dislike about your current bag?: I know I'm lacking in mid range shots, and I'm not 100% what the discs I have are best at. I kind of just throw them when I need more or less fade at the end of throws.
Specific aspects of desired feedback: Any really I'll listen to everything.
Immediate and long-term goals: Short- Putting to get better, as well as my approach shots. Long Term- More fluent in my throws, and confidence I can know I'll always have a shot I can trust for certain situations.

Bag:

Drivers (weight/plastic/model/(condition)/use):
170 Opto River 10/10/Learning to drive with it.
169 VIP King 8/10 Long drives Downhill or flat that need a slight anny.
172 Champion Firebird 9/10 Practicing flick and shorter holes to finish it consistency to the left.
168 Z AvengerSS 8/10 Annys, straight shots
170 Champion Boss 6.5/10 Hyzer Spikes, Flex shots
171 Star Wraith 8.5/10
170 Champion Monarch 5/10 Tomahawks
170 Pro Destroyer 9/10 Straight Shots when it's a flat fairway.

Mids:
169 Champion Teebird 8/10 (yes I know mids go here and this is a driver, but I cant find a mid I like and I use my teebird as a mid.) I use it for any and all shots under 200ft other than putting.

Putters:
175 SS Wizard 8/10 I was using this until today. Nothing against it.
176 Opto Pure 10/10 I like how this feels in my hand, I was hitting more putts than usual with this.

If you knew why I had the boss, you'd probably be less quick to be so arrogant.

and at the distances you stated you throw - there is no way to throw flex shot Boss

I use a modified fan grip on all my putters, mids, and fairways up to 350-375 feet. That's what works for me. Others throw completely different with similar results. Hit the field with all your current discs and experiment

Lol, unless you expecting every shot to be 100% on point. And Max distance, you can flex shot. It's a learning process, telling me I can't do something without actually seeing me play is basically talking down to me. I don't appreciate that in the slightest, but if it makes you feel good, go for it.

And NOS, I'm going to try out some fan grips and hope to find one that works for me.

What kind of grips are using for putters and drivers? It's kind of weird that you can throw them but can't throw mids since mids are kind of a hybrid b/w the two.

Let me find the exact name of the grip, it's like pointer finger on rim of putter, and fan grip under for putters. Drivers vary, generally I use 3 finger power grip due to my pinky being a jerk.

I do a high glide toss for my putts, I'm working on getting it to be more accurate and go further. Right now I'm trying to keep the putter in the basket or right next to it.

The best thing I ever did for my game was to play with only mids for 2 months. I am still terrible at putting and my drives are short, but I can make up for it with midrange placement.

Once you settle on a comfortable mold, go play with it and a putter for a while. Your game will only benefit, and you'll learn to shape a lot more lines.

I got to find a comfortable disc then! I'll buy two max weight and light weight. Then practice with just them! Thanks again for all the advice guys

Imma gonna have to agree with several other posters in that once you get a mid you like you'll realize what you've been missing.

From what I've read in the thread so far it seems you have a couple of options:

1) more driver-like rim designs/depths that will feel more like discs you are comfortable using or

2) a mid that has a different rim that you're current selection. Two of the best that have been mentioned (in my experience) are a Star Mako and a Champ Coyote. Both feel very similar to a beefy putter but are easily manipulable mids that will help shave shots off of your round. I personally would be lost without my 'Yote and it gets pulled out of the bag more than any other disc save my putters.

Imma gonna have to agree with several other posters in that once you get a mid you like you'll realize what you've been missing.

From what I've read in the thread so far it seems you have a couple of options:

1) more driver-like rim designs/depths that will feel more like discs you are comfortable using or

2) a mid that has a different rim that you're current selection. Two of the best that have been mentioned (in my experience) are a Star Mako and a Champ Coyote. Both feel very similar to a beefy putter but are easily manipulable mids that will help shave shots off of your round. I personally would be lost without my 'Yote and it gets pulled out of the bag more than any other disc save my putters.

Based on coyote being mentioned so much I'm going to see if I can get my friends from him.I'll test that out today is possible.

It's long for a mid, so it may not serve the purpose you are looking for, but it is a phenomenal disc either way. And if you don't like it, it is easy to sell on the Marketplace.

Out of the mids listed, there's going to some overlapping correct?

Which of the mids would compliment each other. And where would the overlapping occur?

Hmmm is there a website to show different stabilities for different plastics on discs? Lol seems to be people all like a certain style plastic for certain discs. It confuses me lol

Get a Stingray. A regular DX Stingray. When newer, you can throw it hard with a little hyzer, and it will go straight for a long time. After it gets beat in (I've had mine for about 15 years), you can throw some amazing anhyzer shots. I can throw mine high, into a headwind with a little hyzer and it holds the line perfectly. Great disc to have in the bag. Good for rollers too, but so are about a hundred other discs.

Latest posts