• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

midrange discs over-rated ??

Blake_T said:
stable mids are much more wind resistant than putters.

basically, fairway drivers should get 85-90% of your distance driver distance.
midranges should get about 75% of your dristance driver distance.
putters should get about 70% of your distance driver distance.

when you do the math, the longer you throw in general widens the distance ranges between each type.

This is one of the best statement i have seen posted about disc golf and is a great thing for new players to understand. my local course just put in cement tee pads and alot of new players are showing up. They see me and some of the experienced player teeing off with mids and throwing long approaches with putters and it surprises them. They will tee every hole with a driver then throw there mid until they putt. If you can reach the basket witha putter throw a putter.

One of the better players I play with regularly (975 rating now) doesn't throw mids. He actually just throws a very minimal bag. Max, Destroyer, Pro Wraith, (a new disc thats not a staple) Wizard, SE Rhyno. I think thats it. He is a very good putter driver and has a good backhand and forehand. There are times he seems stumped between the putter and driver and wishes he had a mid in his bag (then throws the max and gets ctp). When he plays serious I beat him 1 out of 5 rounds.

I would be lost without my mids. (especially if I didn't carry a fairway driver like him). Currently I am trying X comet, Z comet, Z comet, aftershock. The heavy Z comet took 95% of my buzzz shots away.

money 21 said:
Blake_T said:
stable mids are much more wind resistant than putters.

basically, fairway drivers should get 85-90% of your distance driver distance.
midranges should get about 75% of your dristance driver distance.
putters should get about 70% of your distance driver distance.

when you do the math, the longer you throw in general widens the distance ranges between each type.

This is one of the best statement i have seen posted about disc golf and is a great thing for new players to understand. my local course just put in cement tee pads and alot of new players are showing up. They see me and some of the experienced player teeing off with mids and throwing long approaches with putters and it surprises them. They will tee every hole with a driver then throw there mid until they putt. If you can reach the basket witha putter throw a putter.

<< If you can reach the basket witha putter throw a putter >>

Why?

why throw a putter on a short hole? control. the shot will be slower flying and will land rather softly and not skip (almost certainly). if it does hit a tree or something it won't ricochet as far as a faster flying disc. the same is true for holes reachable with a mid.

there is a caveat to this strategy which I am falling victim to lately. when you can throw a mid 350 and a putter 300+ you start thinking that you must stretch every throw with the slowest disc possible. what this causes you to do is to throw more shots at near max power which reduces consistency. the best shot is usually the buttery smooth 70% power shot with a mid or a driver. I'm really bad about wanting to flex the guns and park that 320' hole with a Wiz rather than playing golf and shaping a shot with a powered down driver shot or just a normal midrange shot. I also don't practice putting enough. thank you Frank for giving me this advice on two separate occasions. I was too hardheaded to truly heed it.

keltik said:
why throw a putter on a short hole? control. the shot will be slower flying and will land rather softly and not skip (almost certainly). if it does hit a tree or something it won't ricochet as far as a faster flying disc. the same is true for holes reachable with a mid.

there is a caveat to this strategy which I am falling victim to lately. when you can throw a mid 350 and a putter 300+ you start thinking that you must stretch every throw with the slowest disc possible. what this causes you to do is to throw more shots at near max power which reduces consistency. the best shot is usually the buttery smooth 70% power shot with a mid or a driver. I'm really bad about wanting to flex the guns and park that 320' hole with a Wiz rather than playing golf and shaping a shot with a powered down driver shot or just a normal midrange shot. I also don't practice putting enough. thank you Frank for giving me this advice on two separate occasions. I was too hardheaded to truly heed it.

He didn't say on a shorter hole, he said "if you can reach the basket".

Yeh, I can agree with a mid, as you're describing. I think fairway drivers are a forgotten art in DG though. Leopard and Cyclone are excellent discs to use on shorter holes and they both land pretty soft and flat.

i guess i should have said confortably reach the basket. there is a hole on my local course the 220' I see alot of newer player throwing a driver here and either blowning past the hole when a mid or a putter would work great.

money 21 said:
i guess i should have said confortably reach the basket. there is a hole on my local course the 220' I see alot of newer player throwing a driver here and either blowning past the hole when a mid or a putter would work great.

Oh, sure for holes that short. But people claiming to drive their putters 400 ft...I think that's lunacy.

Hehe. Steve Rico runs/plays my home course. He can throw a Magnet 400 if he has to, although that's generally not the disc for the shot.

Star Shark said:
Hehe. Steve Rico runs/plays my home course. He can throw a Magnet 400 if he has to, although that's generally not the disc for the shot.

^ Truth.

I have a pro buddy who barely overthrew a basket at 410' with a Pro Challenger.

FHthrower said:
money 21 said:

Oh, sure for holes that short. But people claiming to drive their putters 400 ft...I think that's lunacy.
I threw an Ion 341' once, slightly downhill. Once. 400' would be pretty gnarly, you could probably have a cup of tea in the time that flight finished.

<div class="idiot">One time I threw a styrofoam plate from the picnic tables and it hit this guy in the head from 490 feet or so I think and he said,"Hey kid! You should have thrown a midrange!" And then this other guy says I'm with stupid and "Nuh uh, shoulda used a driver." So I took out my aviar and killed em both and ate my sandwich off my worn out ce roc. Then i went back to work where they pay me to breathe on new putters and then throw them from the back door out to the customers who bought them. It takes a lot more arm to get them all the way there in a box, but I could drive a putter like 700 feet at my best anyway, if you gave me a hill to stand on. So yeah, midranges are really overrated. </idiot><!--End this thread! Please! Close it up before we all get sucked into bizzarro world.

I've found mids to be more versatile (EDIT: or maybe I mean require more versatility) than any other range of disc (mid-range for me meaning 250-300ft on level ground). I find I only need one disc to throw long with (how many ways to throw long are there?) contrasting with three different mids.

Latest posts