• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Minneapolis Trip Advice

shyguy30

Bronze level trusted reviewer
Heading to the Twin Cities later this year to hit some of the courses there. Obviously we want to play BRP, Vision Quest, and Bryant Lake Park. We'll also hit Kaposia and The Valley. My question is this: If we are going to spend a whole day at one course which should it be? I've seen it recommended to play BRP and Vision Quest in the same day because they are close together and not close to anything else. So should we do that and spend a whole day at Bryant Lake, or have a little extra driving and spend an entire day at BRP? Thanks!

The Twin Cities have no courses where you would want to spend all day at. But do not feel discouraged, we have so many courses within easy driving distance of each other. BRP is only minutes away from Ham Lake and Vision Quest. Kaposia is within ten minutes of The Valley. Lakewood Hills and Acorn are close. Bryant is only minutes from HSSA in one direction and Plymouth Creek in the other; Crown is 20 minutes to the west. Red Oak, Alimagnet, and Kenwood Trails are in the same next of the woods.

The only courses in Minnesota that you would spend all day at are outside of the Twin Cities:

Oak Island/ Tall Grass
Chains Edge
Mont du Lac (Duluth/ Superior, WI)

There are several good courses on your way up Interstate 94 / Highway 10 from the Twin Cities and Saint Cloud (about 1 hour away).

Elm Creek
Becker City Park
Sportsman Hill
Hidden Lake
Pleasant Lake
Riverside
Calvary Hill
Millstream

There are 6 of us. We are intermediate and rec level players and will be playing doubles. I figured Blue Ribbon Pines would take us quite a while to play.

About the same for us and it did take awhile to play all 27 holes. We went right before the Majestic so baskets were in the longest positions which made it even tougher. Between that and letting smaller groups play through it was like 5-6 hours for our doubles round (with cali). Depending on the weather and how hot it will be you may want to plan for BRP being an all day event. Especially if you go on a weekend day which I imagine sees more traffic than the Thursday we played it.

With that said we did manage to play both BRP and VisionQuest, only because they had electric carts which made it quick to play 18 more holes. Definitely a long day but doable if you are determined to play both.

BRP, VisionQuest, Bryant Lake and The Valley were all great courses. You could spend a day at Bryant Lake, with two sets of pads and two sets of baskets (yellow and blue) on every hole you could play a variety of layouts to mix things up. Lots of walking up and down hills and steps so bring lots of water. :thmbup:

If I was going to spend a whole day at one course in the cities it would be Kaposia.

Bryant Lake would be a close second. As nice as BRP and BL (and like every other course) are, Kaposia is still my favorite in the area.

So, we are headed up tonight; looks like we are going to get rained on. Any courses we should avoid that tend to turn into lakes?