• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Other] Mint Discs

Sorry to ask this before you even have your grand opening party, but when might you have second run wth possible lighter weights?

Sorry I was at a tournament this weekend. I'd like to think we will have the 2nd run in 4 months time but you never know :\. Hard to commit, could be sooner or longer depending on some things.

As for Apex and Gold line. It probably depends on which Gold Line you like. If you are talking the current stuff, yes then Apex is pretty close. If you want the old Gold Line from back in the day, go with Sublime as it is a little more pliable and has the metallic sheen.

Really liking this disc. Great feeling rim with a mild dome, soft (but not too soft) grippy plastic - kinda reminds me of this year's Sexton Firebirds. It has that pliable, but still fairly firm and super grippy style. Plus, the thing kinda just bombs. I only grabbed one in Sublime plastic, but it's super straight, resists torque well, but doesn't fade out too much. Reminded me a lot of a CD2 or Teebird3. Just ultimate control disc.

Well done Mint. I'm thinking this may actually kick a couple of my beloved CD2s out of the bag. I love to support smaller companies and you guys hit a home run with the Alpha.

Thanks for the kind words! I think its one of those molds that as it gets into peoples bags will stay which is rarer these days. Again if it was just me being ZJ, and not the owner of MINT, I would still bag this thing and write rave reviews.

The sea-foam, at 170g, is definitely one of the straighter flying ones. Right up there with Blue Eternal. I really like that I can smash on them and they hold whatever angle I put it on. Super responsive to the line and power you give it, which of course any disc can do, but the Alpha seems to show that better than most. Unfortunately sometimes it can show you when you threw a bad shot too :D. They absolutely crush the harder you throw them. It just keeps going and going.

The sea-foam, at 170g, is definitely one of the straighter flying ones.

Dude... One of the prettiest looking discs I've seen. I love the big wolf stamp and the plastic is gorgeous. Glad to hear this blend is one of the straighter, because I'm loving it. Thinking I need to grab a couple more as backups if another run gets a little more stable.

Dude... One of the prettiest looking discs I've seen. I love the big wolf stamp and the plastic is gorgeous. Glad to hear this blend is one of the straighter, because I'm loving it. Thinking I need to grab a couple more as backups if another run gets a little more stable.

From what we've seen the lighter stuff stays pretty straight while still being torque resistant. Luckily the Serial # will help people find their favorite ones going forward. Once we get run 2 out in the world, I will publish the Serial # data for run 1. This gives us some time each run to get feedback on each color and make sure they are flying for everyone else like we found. For instance I had no clue the 170g sea-foam sublime was flying so straight when we launched last week, so I am glad I chose to hold off on publishing the data on colors/flight/etc.

Ended up playing with both of these this weekend and thoughts:

Blue Eternal especially at around 171-172g is the straighter of the two I had, the other being a mint green apex at 171g. To be fair, I'm about a 320-340 arm and the eternal was definitely the one I leaned on at my arm speed.

Very reliable in the HSS and LSS department. I was using this for most of my sidearm shots, back hand hyzers and I even threw a nice Nikko style manhyzer and got some distance out of it, but distance that I knew exactly where the disc would land.

Both had moderate domes and had great glide and this disc is just plain reliable. Awesome first step into the market for ZJ and crew. :thmbup:

Anybody want to compare the Alpha to Thunderbirds in various plastics for me? Seems like a pretty apt comparison. I've got a fair amount of Thunderbird experience so I'd like to hear how similar they are.

Anybody want to compare the Alpha to Thunderbirds in various plastics for me? Seems like a pretty apt comparison. I've got a fair amount of Thunderbird experience so I'd like to hear how similar they are.

Better :popcorn:

Honestly though the Alpha has more versatility. If you were carrying something like a teebird and a thunderbird(or PD), then the Alpha can handle both slots. Its pretty unique in the ranges it can hit. I never got into Thunderbirds but I was a long time LF/PD thrower and our original goal was to put out something like that. This ended being a speed slower, but that doesn't mean it can't reach those distances.

I will give you respect for going slower than your target. So many companies think they can improve on the standards by going faster.

I'm a PD thrower and I like the Alpha a lot. I actually prefer the lower profile of the PD, though. Depends a lot on how much dome you like on your disc, very much a personal preference/how it fits in your hand thing.

I'm carrying both an Apex (blue) and Eternal (blue) in my bag, and I see them as a competitor to my Eagle or Vibram Arch's. Threw a great thumber with the Apex yesterday.

I will give you respect for going slower than your target. So many companies think they can improve on the standards by going faster.

This. You could have come out with some speed 13 monstrosity and given it a name that sounds like a crappy energy drink but you chose to make a quality release, well done. :hfive:

This. You could have come out with some speed 13 monstrosity and given it a name that sounds like a crappy energy drink but you chose to make a quality release, well done. :hfive:

I mean we did name it Alpha though. Doesn't get much more BOSS than that.

I figured you did that just so you could bag the Alpha and the Omega! :D

Haha. That was probably the biggest reason we almost didn't. Out of honor to all that.

But Alpha was just too perfect to leave out there. Fit the description of the how it flies. Its our first disc. Top of the alphabet. The word appeals to the main crowd since its a dude sport. How was something never called Alpha before?

I can't tell you how many posts or times I've seen people ask "What is this Alpha company?". I think that means we chose a good one. People don't go into stores and ask for the brand. They usually ask for that STAR disc or the one with the bee on it. Give them something to remember and go all in on it.

Will there be a heavy metal video a la Stiletto so that we can watch the disc fly?

AHHH! I just made the connection that The Stiletto Song was DiscNation/ZJ. (and immediately went and listened to the song about 10 times) Must support Mint even harder. :D

AHHH! I just made the connection that The Stiletto Song was DiscNation/ZJ. (and immediately went and listened to the song about 10 times) Must support Mint even harder. :D

The song was 99% ZAM genius and 1% me throwing. But yeah thanks for the support!

Latest posts