• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Other] Mint Discs

Finally got out to the course with the white Apex Alpha. First throw didn't go exactly as far as I expected, but it was right in line with where I wanted it. Second drive I tried to slightly anny it, and it wasn't having any of that jazz. First long approach it was perfectly on target but it got the biggest skip I've ever seen from a disc of this rim size (although, my sample size is not huge), so it flared away from the basket. Gotta learn that fade.

By the 3rd or 4th hole I started getting the hang of this fairway. And it's a fairway in the truest sense. I fully agree with the flight numbers of 8/4/0/2. The lack of glide, and extra stability make it very controllable. With other fairways, there can be a tendency for too much turn, or difficulty in ranging the shot. That was not a problem with the Alpha.

I found this disc to be most valuable on my second shot on longer holes (400-450'+). For my arm, these throws can often be tweeners between a mid and driver. The Alpha was absolutely pinpoint on more than occasion this afternoon. Give it a little hyzer, some room to the right, and let it fade back in. Like clockwork.

I have to hand it to MINT. They may not have been able to chose a better first offering for a driver. It's not going to be the longest disc in your bag, or the one with most glide. But it just might be your most trustworthy.

I'd definitely say the White has the lowest glide, which was weird considering it has some of the most dome. We had a pretty good debate internally about whether to put it at a 4 or 5 glide. I've always been under the impression, as I alluded to in earlier posts that some ratings like Speed are inflated to stand out. So I think a lot of people misinterpret Glide for what is really Speed out of the hand, but you nailed it here. For the most part the Alpha excels at getting to its breaking point really fast, rather than its ability to glide out. As a former Millennium pro, I called it a longer San Marino Q-Sent the first time I threw it.

The glide is more noticeable on the Mint Green Apex or Light Blue Eternal. Which is why a lot of people have been throwing those colors and it is where you see the distance potential at higher speeds. I've always found it interesting how glide goes up on a rating as the disc gets more understable, which realistically has more to do with the ease it takes to throw it than the glide itself. Getting off my soapbox now...

I failed to mention that it was a one disc round, so I got a great feel for it at all distances. And I know what you mean about that breaking point.

Now that I've whet my appetite with this white Apex, it just leaves me wanting more.

Recent review from Disc Golf Nerd.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pz7awu_s4Vg

I'd like to add something to what he finds with the stability in this video. The stability it shows at low speeds is the main reason we gave it the name POWER Fairway. I wanted people to know it responds well to some power, not necessarily that it is only intended for power players. You need to commit to your throw on this fairway and finish forward with it. I think it is one of those discs that can help people throw other discs further because of the type of throws it handle. Not knocking the review either, but this is something I just like to add. I thought it was a great comprehensive review of the Alpha and MINT. Love this kinda of stuff.

threw some rounds this weekend and turned my buddy on to a blue eternal since he sees me use mine a lot. we came to one hole that i was throwing mine on. he lets another friend throw his alpha to get a feel for the flight. well the next day i go play another course and reach for my alpha only to realize my buddy and i had picked each others up by accident. i had his nearly new blue and he had my buttery seasoned blue. needless to say, i was pretty lost without that particular alpha since it has become my go to driver at just about any course. i finally got her back today,it made me realize how much i depend on that thing now lol

So when's the second run.....or even better, second mold coming?

So when's the second run.....or even better, second mold coming?

Second run isn't too far out. We'll start hyping it when things get closer. Some legit new art in the works. Pretty much only Eternal left from run one(for stock).

threw some rounds this weekend and turned my buddy on to a blue eternal since he sees me use mine a lot. we came to one hole that i was throwing mine on. he lets another friend throw his alpha to get a feel for the flight. well the next day i go play another course and reach for my alpha only to realize my buddy and i had picked each others up by accident. i had his nearly new blue and he had my buttery seasoned blue. needless to say, i was pretty lost without that particular alpha since it has become my go to driver at just about any course. i finally got her back today,it made me realize how much i depend on that thing now lol

Better get on that First Run Blue Eternal hoarding before Booter does and raises the price to $100 each. :D

Second run isn't too far out. We'll start hyping it when things get closer. Some legit new art in the works. Pretty much only Eternal left from run one(for stock).

Where can I get some more light blues?

I accidentally left my first one that was starting to beat in and be perfect and now all I have is the one back up I managed to snag.

Where can I get some more light blues?

I accidentally left my first one that was starting to beat in and be perfect and now all I have is the one back up I managed to snag.

I'm not sure which retailers have them still but we haven't had any ourselves for a few weeks. :(

i played a round of 2 disc dubs yesterday and guess what disc i chose? my seasoned alpha :D. i was actually even more impressed with the molds versatility. having to throw it on just about any shot and learning more speed/angle control with it made me love it even more. my putting sucked because i chose the wrong putter but thats a different story :p

I'm looking forward to a mid. I'm sure it's a ways out but if it's a versatile as the alpha it'll be a staple in many bags I'm sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm looking forward to a mid. I'm sure it's a ways out but if it's a versatile as the alpha it'll be a staple in many bags I'm sure.

Despite one of my initial posts about doing a putter next, we've been going back and forth. As a small company we pretty much have to hit a home run every time so each mold has to be worth the time/money/etc. I do agree that having a mid in that stability would be amazing. Our internal goal from the start was to start with molds that are fit those turn/fade ratings in each major speed category(putter, mid, fairway/control, distance). Getting a mid with Alpha type ratings is right up there as a high priority for us. Just not sure in what order it will all happen.

Despite one of my initial posts about doing a putter next, we've been going back and forth. As a small company we pretty much have to hit a home run every time so each mold has to be worth the time/money/etc. I do agree that having a mid in that stability would be amazing. Our internal goal from the start was to start with molds that are fit those turn/fade ratings in each major speed category(putter, mid, fairway/control, distance). Getting a mid with Alpha type ratings is right up there as a high priority for us. Just not sure in what order it will all happen.

Any order it comes in is the one it needs to be. You guys know what your doing that's for sure. I haven't fallen in love with a disc like this since my pro line gremlin. I Know whatever you get out next will be spectacular!! Keep it up!

Any thought of a baseline plastic yet? An alpha I could beat in mega quick would be sweet [emoji57]

Is a second run of the Alpha coming? I would like to try one of these in the mid to high 160s but I can't find any in the limited stock of first runs that are left out there.

How would the Alpha compare to the Tyrant?
I rely heavily on my Tyrants but have considered adding a faster control driver lately.

It sounds like the Alpha has a larger rim than the Tyrant but isn't much faster out of the hand though.
That said, I'd love to support another DGCR label and throw Mint.

Anyone thrown both?

Last edited: