• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Missed opportunity with top pros

tom12003

Eagle Member
Just before the USDGC (Friday during the US Dubs), a # of elite pros played the course (Plantation Ruins at Winget Park, Charlotte) that I was principle in building and am the volunteer Charlotte course director--wish I had been there but was volunteering at the US Dubs. Dickie Brewer (a local that provided housing to many of these pros) played the course with Cat, Geisinger, Will, Paige, Colin Forehand, Zach Melton, Madison Walker, and maybe a few others that I didn't catch their names. According to Dickie, they found this short course fun but challenging because of the need for shot accuracy. Most of them killed it (>-10) which was better than the AM men did during the 2012 Worlds. A lot of other elite pros that I've played with (MJ, Big Jerm, Yeti, Philo, Barsby, and others) also have enjoyed the layout.

I am thinking of doing a one-day, 2-rounds B- or C-tier tourney the Friday before the 2017 USDGC (although there would be 6-8 longer, more challenging holes) for those not playing the pro-side of US Dubs (Open, women, and masters). Would probably fill the rest of the field with local pros and want-to-bes.

Just wished I could have part of that group last month.

Gregg Barsby and Nikko Locastro played my home course earlier this year, and of course I was out of town...

simon lizotte and eagle mcmahon played my home course in Waco before texas states last year, i didnt even recognize them till afterwards.... i even had a blizzard boss i wanted simon to sign, very missed opportunity

Seems like a local tourney around USDGC time would do well..
Personally, I love Plantation Ruins and have made it a habit to play it when I come to the USDGC every year.
A mix of open and wooded, good use of elevation and fantastic example of risk/reward.
I appreciate it more every time I've played it.
Thanks for making it happen. Great design.

Message the pros you want to host to make sure they're interested.

You'll probably have to add the $500 to get them out.

In 2012, 2013, and 2014 we had a B-tier in Central, SC (2 hours from Rock Hill) the week before USDGC.
2012: Wysocki, Feldberg, Childs, Johansen, Koontz, Dollar
2013: Schweberger, Sikanen, Stoor
2014: Dollar, Childs

The TD was pretty proactive about getting pros to sign up, but we had a lot of trouble getting any in. We thought being the week before USDGC would help, but it didn't do much.

In 2015, Augusta (2 hours from Rock Hill) jumped in with an A-tier two weeks before USDGC and got a marginally better turnout.
2015: Ulibarri, Gibson, Dickerson, Childs, Bell, Lutz
2016: (B tier) Perry, Childs

Maybe a 1-day would go over better with more pros.