• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

monarchs available?

Prime Discs has a clear picture of the wacky new wing:

monarch-champ-big2.jpg

Wiggins Jr. had one of these at the Tar Heel Tourney today. Him and Schwebby both described them as very flippy destroyers. Wiggins said it threw just like his really beat 1st run destroyer. It didn't see any action today since it was kinda windy and apparently they stink in the wind.

It would appear that Innova has finally figured out how to have huge wing widths without so much plastic needed to fill the mold.

Figure on seeing bunches more in this style. Speed 13, 14, 15 discs in the near future!

How wide is the wing anyway?

According to this chart-

http://www.pdga.com/documents/tech_standards/PDGA_approved_discs_and_targets.pdf

it has a rim diameter of 2.1 cm. That's the same as a Wraith.

afaik the Innova speed chart goes like this:

Speed 5 = 1.5cm of rim width,
Speed 6 = 1.6cm,
Speed 7 = 1.7cm,
and so on....
speed 12 = 2.2cm

I got to throw a monarch today. Some guy had one, but he couldn't get enough speed on it to turn it over. He complained that it was supposed to be -4 for HSS and it didn't do what it should.

I threw it as hard as I could and it turned like crazy. I would say that a beat beast is an accurate comparison. I tried to explain that the HSS rating is relative to other drivers. You can't compare it to a stratus or a wolf. Those only need to be flying at 1/2 the speed of a driver to turn.

For players who like to hyzer flip, the monarch might give you more distance.

My throw went 300 and hit a bush, but I think it had the potential to go 400. I've never hit 400 yet, but I think a monarch might get me close.

I threw a Monarch for the first time today and i was a bit underwhelmed. I still can't find an understable disc that I can throw further than a 165g Champ Leopard.

I bought a 168g Star Kite at the same time I bought the Monarch. I took them both out to my practice field, and on the first attempt, I got the Kite to fly further in a tailwind (aprox 5-10 mph) than the Monarch ( both in the 350 range, but the Kite went about 30' futher)

Do I need to wait 'till i can break 400' 'till I can tell the difference between these discs??

Triplebogey said:
I threw a Monarch for the first time today and i was a bit underwhelmed. I still can't find an understable disc that I can throw further than a 165g Champ Leopard.

I bought a 168g Star Kite at the same time I bought the Monarch. I took them both out to my practice field, and on the first attempt, I got the Kite to fly further in a tailwind (aprox 5-10 mph) than the Monarch ( both in the 350 range, but the Kite went about 30' futher)

Do I need to wait 'till i can break 400' 'till I can tell the difference between these discs??

Interesting. I'm guessing you must be throwing the monarch wrong or something. For me a driver will fly way farther than a leopard or kite.

Triplebogey said:

Sounds like you aren't meeting the speed requrements of the disc. Stick with slower 'fairway' style drivers (leopard, eagle, teebird, gazelle, cyclone, XL, etc) till you can throw those 350'-ish. Then try the faster ones like the monarch if you're still interested.

I hope the deep groove in the rim does not become a dirt magnet, changing stability unless you scrape it out every shot.

RS39 said:
I hope the deep groove in the rim does not become a dirt magnet, changing stability unless you scrape it out every shot.

a friend of mine was throwing them last weekend... the groove is wide enough and round enough to where this shouldn't be a problem except maybe with sticky mud.

i havent had a problem with dirt getting stuck in it. I have had a problem seeing it as a "faster roadrunner with more glide" I get decent distance with it but it doesnt turn over as well as id like.

daytondiscer said:
i havent had a problem with dirt getting stuck in it. I have had a problem seeing it as a "faster roadrunner with more glide" I get decent distance with it but it doesnt turn over as well as id like.

Throw it harder. Remember, it's a speed 10 disc, so if you're going to turn it over, you've got to have power. I think it's going to be a good straight disc for a lot of people.

I love the turn on the Monarch. The guy I buy my discs from had a whole bunch the other day and I threw one to see if I would like it. It only took that one throw for me to decide that I was going to buy the disc. Throw it with a little hyzer and a lot of snap and this thing goes straight for about 250-300 feet then begins to cut right pretty hard with a little fade at the end. Amazing turn. I love it. The extra speed is noticeable for sure, because this thing bombs on the big turnover lines.

Threw these a bunch in a field yesterday. I was not impressed. It was very "floaty" but not as fast as I was hoping for. I out distanced it on just about every throw with a seasoned champ sidewinder. The sw seemed faster to me as well and was easier to control the turn.