• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

More Driving Video to Critique

JoeChill

Bogey Member
Here is another vid of me throwing, this time after cutting out the runup and practicing the Beato form. Here, I'm mostly concentrating on late speed and shifting my weight properly. About 75% power put these about 300-320' by my best estimate. Let me know what I'm doing wrong, please and thank you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsVwquUBSs8

It looks like you're starting your pull too early. You don't start the pull until after you've planted your front foot. You're also starting your pull way too high. It should be lower than the hit for flat and hyzer shots.

You can also slow down a lot more before the power zone. You won't need to stay that slow forever, but coming in to it way slow for now will make getting the feeling for it even easier.

you are still throwing too much with your arm and not enough with the rest of your body. you don't really need to reach back that far. you just need to turn your shoulders 180° away from your target. The "Beto" drills are designed to help train your form to use the elbow and wrist more as your power and spin fulcrums as opposed to the shoulder. it is also designed to help you learn to use your lower body to start the chain reaction, so to speak, of a powerful throwing motion. But the power is only exerted in the space of about 8 inches, TWSS. but you should add a step to your throw. not a big one but just one to get the momentum going. I think I read on another of your posts that you are a fairly big guy (6'3" 270 or so). Beto is roughly the same size as you (not quite as heavy), but he doesn't take giant steps. when I retooled my throw one of the best things I did was shorten the steps in my run up. but that was after I learned to use my elbow and wrist more from the "Right Pec Drill".

but yes transferring your weight is key but it's better to practice taking one step than doing a stand still.

It looks like you're starting your pull too early. You don't start the pull until after you've planted your front foot. You're also starting your pull way too high. It should be lower than the hit for flat and hyzer shots.

So should I be aiming for a differential of, say, my top ab to my leading pec or more like my belly button to my shoulder or something in-between? The way you phrased the pull comment actually clicked a bit for me though, and I feel like I know what people have been saying to do with that now. I just have a history with shot put that makes "arming" it kind of my natural motion. I've been trying to go back and do more work from a standing position to attempt to work that out, which is why these are all from a standstill. Also I have awful knees so my run up tends to be unhelpful.

So should I be aiming for a differential of, say, my top ab to my leading pec or more like my belly button to my shoulder or something in-between? The way you phrased the pull comment actually clicked a bit for me though, and I feel like I know what people have been saying to do with that now. I just have a history with shot put that makes "arming" it kind of my natural motion. I've been trying to go back and do more work from a standing position to attempt to work that out, which is why these are all from a standstill. Also I have awful knees so my run up tends to be unhelpful.
The disc will pass by your right pec. Part of building your throw from the hit back is getting to the position where the disc is right next to your right pec. You just need to start a couple inches lower than that on the reachback.

Looks a lot better than before, and I agree pulling a hair too early still. Your reachback is not quite a straight line to the target, and high so you're gettin nose up and flutter when you bring it down into the hit. Just keep your arm more relaxed and try to keep it in a straight line before the pull.

Looks a lot better than before, and I agree pulling a hair too early still. Your reachback is not quite a straight line to the target, and high so you're gettin nose up and flutter when you bring it down into the hit. Just keep your arm more relaxed and try to keep it in a straight line before the pull.

This makes sense too. I appreciate the feedback. I'll try to post video again after I feel like I've made some progress with that. Do you think it would be more constructive to do standing drills or drills with a few steps to get the motion down better?

This makes sense too. I appreciate the feedback. I'll try to post video again after I feel like I've made some progress with that. Do you think it would be more constructive to do standing drills or drills with a few steps to get the motion down better?

I like to stand backward and do a one or two step on to the pivot for practice as it gets more rhythm into the throw leading into the hit.

started doing this last week. my accuracy has gone way up.

Yeah, i guess I forgot to mention that was a pretty immediate gain. My accuracy just switching to concentrating on my hit has gone way up. I started focusing on keeping my discs in a fairly tight grouping in the field and definitely noticed a big difference.

Just keep in mind that the most important part of the throw is the last 12". Worrying about your hips, legs and shoulders won't matter nearly as much if you don't have that last 12" right.

Latest posts