• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

More than 10,000 Disc Golf Courses!

Not sure exactly when the magic happened, but there are now over 10,000 active courses worldwide. There are even more courses than that when you count temp courses or practice areas! :hfive:
That's cool.

I remember when Missouri had so few courses that we used to claim Rosedale to boost our numbers, and even at that we were still under 10. A lot has changed since then.

Not sure exactly when the magic happened, but there are now over 10,000 active courses worldwide. There are even more courses than that when you count temp courses or practice areas!:hfive:

I'd count unlisted private courses that are playable by appointment, provided you make arrangements with the owner in advance, before I counted practice areas and temp courses. ;)

...but that's just me.

Point is, there are over 10K places in the world where we can do our thing.
:) :thmbup: :cool:

Last edited:
I'd count unlisted private courses that are playable by appointment, provided you make arrangements with the owner in advance, before I counted practice areas and temp courses. ;)

...but that's just me.

Point is, there are over 10K places in the world where we can do our thing.
:) :thmbup: :cool:

I think I've played 125 courses. Math isn't my forte, but that would put me at about 1% of listed courses played, right? Cool! :D

10,000!? That just makes my completion played percentage look even smaller. :(

Seriously, that's awesome. More places to hunt down an ace. :)

look at that graph and combine MN and WI then compare to Finland

150k v 130k square miles
699 v 785 courses
11m v 5.5m population

similar area and number of courses but Finland has half the population. that said, MN and WI probably have more courses than Finland once you factor in unlisted private courses.

another consideration, how much unpopulated land is there in each area? i bet much less than half of Finland's total land area has any inhabitants at all.

10,000 courses, yeah, but what percentage of those are actually worth playing, and/or make a good impression on newbies and the image of the sport? So many are neglected and under-designed for sustainability and attractiveness. Most were rushed and opened before they were ready and it shows; widespread erosion and compaction (dusty elephant skin courses that destroy soil profiles). What are we after folks? Quantity or quality?

That's cool.

I remember when Missouri had so few courses that we used to claim Rosedale to boost our numbers, and even at that we were still under 10. A lot has changed since then.

I remember VA having 15 in the mid 90's. Search on this site now yields 172- I would imagine the actual number is around 190.

When I first started logging into DGCR I'd recognize about one hole of the day per week. Now it's about one a month that I've played before, and I'm over 150 courses bagged.

But here in Texas, you can play those 485 courses year round.

Sure. Rub it in.

We can play year round in Michigan, Minnesota & Wisconsin. It just is a little less comfortable is all. And gives us reasons to wander south in the winter & bag y'all's courses.

I remember VA having 15 in the mid 90's. Search on this site now yields 172- I would imagine the actual number is around 190.
I really wish I would have written something down, but the first time I remember being aware of the number of overall courses I think it was between 600 and 700.

Missouri has never been a hotbed for disc golf. We went over 10 courses at some point in '94-'95 (depending on whether you were still counting Creve Couer which was flooded and closed at the time but reopened eventually). I think we were at 14 listed courses in the PDGA directory when I moved in 2000, and there were at least two private courses I knew of by that time. Now UDisc says Missouri has 273 courses (145 18 or more holes) while DGCR shows 230 courses (129 18 or more holes). It makes the old challenge of playing 100 courses that used to involve hitting up half the country a lot more convenient.

I remember when Broward County, Florida only had two courses:. Tradewinds & Easterlin.
Now it has 10 legit courses + a 6 hole pitch'n'putt.

10,000 courses, yeah, but what percentage of those are actually worth playing, and/or make a good impression on newbies and the image of the sport?
What are we after folks? Quantity or quality?

Which is why I posted:

10,000 courses, yeah, but what percentage of those are actually worth playing, and/or make a good impression on newbies and the image of the sport? So many are neglected and under-designed for sustainability and attractiveness. Most were rushed and opened before they were ready and it shows; widespread erosion and compaction (dusty elephant skin courses that destroy soil profiles). What are we after folks? Quantity or quality?

Quality is completely subjective. A newb on a top level gold course, may think the quality is awful. An experience gold level player on a neighborhood park, pitch and putt, may think the quality is awful. But, we should be building both. IMO, we should be building a lot more, safe, park pitch and putts.

Quality is completely subjective. A newb on a top level gold course, may think the quality is awful. An experience gold level player on a neighborhood park, pitch and putt, may think the quality is awful. But, we should be building both. IMO, we should be building a lot more, safe, park pitch and putts.

100% agree. I take my 7yo son to a 9 hole shorter course all the time right now, but there's still a couple par 4s. It's a great experience for him overall, but it would be great to have an even more kid friendly course nearby to help him build his confidence up as he learns.

We definitely need a range though. I think some of the best places I've played have had 2 courses, an Am and Pro level course on the same property, one to build confidence on and one to have a challenge on. Both very needed designs.

ru4por, I'd argue that quality is not 'completely' subjective... The focus of my post was on environmental quality, which can definitely be objectified. Eroded and compacted courses can objectively effect landscape experience and function. Surveys could and testing can prove this... Elephant skin landscapes, stunted vegetation, rilling and gullying do not help the newbie impression/experience and encourage returning to play again... Disc golfers who have been playing a while are more blind to courses like this because they are more focused on the shots/hole layouts... Newbies are soaking in the 'look and feel' of the landscape more and making judgements about what a disc golf course is (dirt courses). I agree wholeheartedly that we need more beginner friendly pitch n putt type courses. These courses take up much less space and are therefore much easier to armor/landscape for attractiveness and sustainability than 'full size courses'.