• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Most Exhausting Courses....

Moccasin creek @ The Lodge. If it were hot at all would have been a beast. When we played it was mid 70s and a couple of the guys with us were worn out. Especially after playing the Island course also. Fun day, but, would have been brutal if it was 100+

Arcadia #2 was one of the longest courses I have ever played. Not only in tee to basket distance but just totally walking. Factor in texas summer heat at 105 or 30to 40mph winds in spring or fall and it just seems like the course will never end

Ashe County, Bear Tree Cabin and the longs at Stumpy Creek come to mind. Playing Renny Gold this time of year is a real beast too.
I'll co-sign this. Playing Stumpy long during the Summer just about killed me after I spent 15 minutes looking for my Fuse a sloped hole.
Rockness Monster (blue layout), Roxboro, NC
Nah, cupcake. It's all in the shade!
I haven't played Flyboy, but I didn't think Iron Hill or Renny are tough. They don't have enough big climbs to wear someone out. Long mostly flat walks shouldn't harm anyone. I have to think there are some brutal CO and CA courses I've never seen.
Yeah, I agree with this. Renny is more mentally taxing than physically, though it does suck during the heat.

Isn't it closed for the season?

It is not. They extended their season until November 18th. It's on their facebook page, but here is my post and their response:

Joshua Fehr
Will disc golf still be open Sunday the 28th?
Like · · Monday at 12:56pm

Blue Mountain Ski Area Actually we will be keeping it open till November 18th!
Monday at 2:35pm · Like

Joshua Fehr Great news!! Thank you. I will be up Sunday it appears, and the next few weekends after that.
Tuesday at 9:30am · Like

I'll second a few I've seen.

Duncan lake, playing the 'Hillclimber' tournament with too many ghost cards and 60 mph wind.
Veterans Park in Arlington on a hot day. always busy so you wait every hole.
Beaver Ranch, if you have never played at higher elevation. The walk to and up the first few holes are a whip.
The most exhausting round I've played was the, I'll never 'play it again open' in Crowley TX. 105 deg out that day with no shade at the backup holes. Watching the news after that tournament, they reported several deaths due to the heat that day.

^Agreed. Renny Gold's a bear for sure. Different courses can take their toll in different ways: Extreme elevation, lots of long holes, extremely challenging and unforgiving, can be brutally hot, or just a mental beat-down.

Haven't played any on ski slopes, like Hickory Hills , but I imagine they can be quite exhausting.

Of those I've played, these stick out:

Idlewild: pretty much wore me out in a well balanced fashion, beat me up a little in every way on a 100 degree day.

Toboggan: not quite a ski slope, but not too far from that. After all, it is on a toboggan run: combo of brutal rough and hard to find shade for stretches can really take a toll over and 8800' of serious and continuous elevation changes.

Ponds of Lakeshore: not a demanding course... except when you make the mistake of playing the 4th of July in 97 degree heat on a course that has no shade. :eek:

Nevin: If the finnesse game is not your idea of fun, this could be one of the longest, least enjoyable rounds you play.

Stumpy Creek wears me out more than the tobaggan did...its shorter but there are only really 3 trips up the big hill and the walk is so long that it seems gradual.

Ozark Mountain and Spencer-Davis just made the top of my list. No other courses I've played come close.

You see the footage at like ... 800' ... and think "Hey, time to pull out the driver a couple times" and then see the hole and say "Ok ... 4 putters and I should be close."

Physically and mentally tough.

Last edited:
for me:
Renny Gold, Fox Chase, and Va-Du-Mar (the first time I played it). UNC-DGC can wear you out in the summer too.

ya just played hickory hills and mount holliday in Traverse city, MI for the first time a week ago. it was brutal. they are both amazing courses. awesome. however it was a heck of a lot of walking. but beautiful.

I played seven springs (on a ski mountain) once when the ski lift wasn't operating. Brutal. You not only walk up the entire mountain to start, but after you finish the first nine, you walk up it again. It's also just a tough course with the rough being EXTREMELY rough. You'll look for discs for days. First time I went (granted, I wasn't super experienced at the time) I lost four discs and found four discs (returned one of them, others either didn't have numbers or didn't respond).

I played seven springs (on a ski mountain) once when the ski lift wasn't operating. Brutal. You not only walk up the entire mountain to start, but after you finish the first nine, you walk up it again. It's also just a tough course with the rough being EXTREMELY rough. You'll look for discs for days. First time I went (granted, I wasn't super experienced at the time) I lost four discs and found four discs (returned one of them, others either didn't have numbers or didn't respond).

I did this at Squaw Valley. Brutal is right.

Mike Miller Park in Draffenville KY wears me out. It's up and down hills the whole way. And Cedar Hill in Nashville is pretty demanding too.

Of the courses I have played, I will have to vote for

#1 Squaw Valley...such a WTF was that?! course.
#2 Diamond X...it was 105 degrees one of the two times I played it, but even when it wasn't that course is a beast...x2.

Although I wanted to mention a few others (Kirkwood, Sharktooth Mountain), while tough I don't think either of those are worthy of being on any sort of list. Somebody mentioned Bijou in Tahoe...ya kidding me?

My girlfriend and I did this at Brian Head in Utah, easily the longest and most exhausting disc golf round I've ever played. The course starts at 11,000' so you've got a steep long hike at high altitude before you start throwing and it's not an easy walk just to get around the course.

I'm sure it's been mentioned, but Flip City is pretty exhausting, especially when you stack rounds on top of each other...phew!

I'm sure it's been mentioned, but Flip City is pretty exhausting, especially when you stack rounds on top of each other...phew!

:rolleyes: Two rounds at flip city is still less effort than a single round at a lot of other places with more severe elevation and a lot more length.

HAHAhahaha... Realy Bijou? I know it's 27 holes, but they are allmost all flat as a board.

All 27 holes at Bijou = Any 2 holes at Crystal Mountain

I played Bijou at the end of a long day (my 6th course of the day) and had a great time, enjoyed the hell out of that course. Easy flat, relatively, short 27.

I played Crystal's upper course one day, about killed myself. A bunch of my toenails turned black for 6 months. It's a killer! Walking down and over those long steep rugged ski slope mountains is the worst.

I would say Conifer holes 1-3. Straight up at 8,000 feet with no warm up.

Beaver Ranch's first three holes are scary but the rest of the course is a fairly pleasent walk compared to Crystal Mountain Summit Course or Brian Head in Utah or Solitude, I would think.

And remember this about all the ski slope courses. When you're talking about those Minnesota and Michigan ski slope courses,

They are called such and such ski "hills".

When you are talking about a ski course in Colorado or Washington, there is a reason it's called

Crystal MOUNTAIN Summit Course.

It is the difference between a hill and a mountain.

Latest posts