• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Mountain Bike Integration

Rolling Hills in MI has a MTB trail running through the DG course, it's never an issue. Bikers are usually there and gone before you even have to think about waiting for them to clear out. However the trail never crosses any holes and most of the trails are running perpendicular to the fairways.

MTB trail advocates are definitely aggressive and move super fast, from my experience working with Rolling Hills. Maybe we need to channel a bit of that at times. The other nice thing at Rolling is that the course was already there so the MTB had to design around it. But when there was some land available for expansion, the MTBers definitely jumped on much faster that the DG group. Full disclosure I enjoy both activities.

Renaissance in Charlotte was mentioned earlier. I'll only add the details of how I've seen the two pastimes cross each other...

Essentially, the only time the bikers come near the golfers is during our transitions from one hole to another. Once, we had a Match Play league going on, and as we walked down a long-ish path that doubles as a bike track, we, being the astute fellows we are, kept a sharp eye out for bikes coming from our 6.

Sure enough, here comes one - we move to the far right, giving him plenty of room and respect. As he blows by, he hollers, "Bike race!!!" as though we will then look at each other and go, "Oh! Well then. Guess we'd better vamoose."

Instead, before he got out of earshot, we all shouted, "Disc golf league!!"

So the question of who "owns" the space was on the table. We agreed that really, as long as everyone exhibits a little awareness, there should be no trouble between the two groups.

I'd be hard-pressed to decide who's in more danger from the Other. A disc to the always-protected head of these bikers? Not so bad. But a collision between machine and man could be real nasty. To me, that puts the onus on us, being able to stroll and sightsee, so to speak. And I'm cool with that.

To me, nothing is an either/or proposition. There's always another, mutually-beneficial way to handle these things...

Brewster Ridge has biking trails snaking through the course.

Well UNC DGC has added a MBT component. And they only closed three holes to do it. To make up for the lost holes, they re-opened some old holes creating a 1/4 mile transition from hole 12 to 13. What a disappointment.

I know that this is an old thread but... Tuthill Park is probably South Dakota's most played course and has a fairly popular mountain bike trail in the same park.

I am guessing that you are talking about trails in the upper peninsula of Michigan? You don't really indicate where you are talking about. There are only three courses North of Houghton. Which courses have this trail system integrated?

The only course near the Copper Harbor trails is the 9 hole course at the Keweenaw Mountain Lodge. I would not call this an integrated system whatsoever. 1 bike trail cuts across the course.
The Mountain Lodge is several miles away from Copper Harbor and the main trail system.

Thanks for the necro-bump. The local mountain bike group squeezed us out of the park for the time being. I haven't been able to spend the time politicking/designing for this property recently either, since I got $40,000 approved to fix the existing course in the area. Now that that project is moving along nicely, I will be exploring the MTB integration at the proposed property again. I do plan on having my 501(c)3 apply for a grant in 2022 to install a course there again if we can get approval from the county.

With all the terrific examples identified with this thread, hopefully we can convince the county (and the MTB group) this can be a successful integration.

Thanks for the necro-bump. The local mountain bike group squeezed us out of the park for the time being. I haven't been able to spend the time politicking/designing for this property recently either, since I got $40,000 approved to fix the existing course in the area. Now that that project is moving along nicely, I will be exploring the MTB integration at the proposed property again. I do plan on having my 501(c)3 apply for a grant in 2022 to install a course there again if we can get approval from the county.

With all the terrific examples identified with this thread, hopefully we can convince the county (and the MTB group) this can be a successful integration.

are you still looking for suggestions

Meyer Broadway in Three Rivers, MI has outstanding Disc Golf and mountain biking both! They are intertwined all over the place and we all seem to get along just fine. I know they moved one basket on the north course recently to help with one spot that needed a little alleviation.

Funny thing about that. I met a guy and his wife to shoot a round because they were returning my son's Disc to me and we got to this hole. The guy noticed a fleck of color down on the gr...hey, a Disc under the newly cleared area! And it'd been there for a long time...and it's parked on the new basket placement, just feet away. He had early released badly for the old placement, but little did he know he'd actually park it a year or so later. Is it too late to change his score? I've been playing for a long time and have never seen that before.

Certainly. Even if this land falls through, we will most likely be competing with or have to share with the MTB group for new land.

all are in midwest

the one with the most multiuse overlap land has been giants ridge in mn

spirit mountain in mn

mont du lac in wi

al quaal rec area in mi

Latest posts