• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Movement in top 10

Not playing with carts is a huge bummer there, and would most likely influence my rating as well. As has already been said, those courses were designed to be played in carts.

There's a difference between amenities and facilities which falls under amenities. Amenities for the reviewer being discussed may have more to do with what's on the course itself during play than a clubhouse, cabins, camping, restrooms. Of course golf carts would seem to be a solid amenity in this case.

I've played 62 nine holers, and the highest score i've given is a low 3.5 and it had duel tees and 2 permanent baskets on each hole.

as for Laem Sor, from looking at google street view i counted at least 10 baskets. and there's a course map observable from google street view that shows 18 locations. maybe theres some double use baskets. the course appears to have crossing fairways. basket to tee separation looks pretty bad. dirt/grass tee are marked with rocks. there's hole signage and baskets look nice. the course also does looks like a tropical wonderland i must say.

I don't know how its possible to give a 9hole course a 5... and it has 5 of them...

In my browsing of top 9 holers today, i noticed that Laem Sor in Thailand is at #1.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=6636

Interesting time to apply some metrics, which I will not do. First, we could only use trusted reviewers. Now rating is 3.5.

If I do a quick weighting by how helpful, it now goes to:
4.20 if I just weight using a ratio of helpfuls to total votes, and
3.70 if I actually punish the unhelpful reviews using a [helpful minus unhelpful] factor

I am tired, so this may be worth nothing. The math is likely flawed. But I do tend to sort by helpful reviews more than only trusted reviewers, and I'd imagine we could also apply this metric like we did the "trusted reviewer" thing with the Top 10.

I can't help but notice this is post #2000. Of course, the helpful votes are likely biased anyways...

Last edited:
no metrics can account for the "exotic factor" that a course like this enjoys. plus it's also a private course, which tend to get higher ratings if the owner is personable. it's comparable to the inflated ratings on Colorado courses just because the mountain surroundings are nice to look at.

i'm sure the course is fun and the total experience of playing in a tropical forest is probably amazing, and i really hope i get a chance to play it someday, but if that course were anywhere in the US it would be rated a 3.0 at best.

I have played it, and am fearful of retaliation if I am honest, just look at the reviews for Samui.

I'd say it is a 3.5 out of 4 as I agree with you guys, a 9 basket course would need to be near flawless to garner anything higher then a 4.

The views are great, no denying that but the layout is still a little squashed for 9 holes with a few holes using the same 'fairway' but it's more of an issue in tourney then event play.

One of the 5s is also from the owner, so take that with a grain of salt. I think a few of his loyal players give it a 5 to help with marketing etc.

I'm not talking about or defending the rating of this 9 hole course in Thailand but I am questioning your comment about the Colorado courses getting inflated ratings "because the mountain surroundings are nice to look at." Would you admit that those mountains in Colorado and those in many other areas, while not only beautiful, also provide wonderful challenging holes that a flat course anywhere might be hard pressed to compete with? I will willingly admit that I am definitely biased towards courses with elevation changes.

no metrics can account for the "exotic factor" that a course like this enjoys. plus it's also a private course, which tend to get higher ratings if the owner is personable. it's comparable to the inflated ratings on Colorado courses just because the mountain surroundings are nice to look at.

i'm sure the course is fun and the total experience of playing in a tropical forest is probably amazing, and i really hope i get a chance to play it someday, but if that course were anywhere in the US it would be rated a 3.0 at best.

Dreadlock86. I was curious to whether you had actually played any Colorado mountain courses and I was pleasantly surprised that you had and that you actually list five among them amongst your favorites. And I read your review of Beaver Ranch, which is one of my personal top 5 favorites, and your review was very well written and completely fair.

So, I probably need to apologize as you've been there and done that, played many top courses all over the US and are entitled to your opinion, which is an informed one, although I strongly feel that Beaver Ranch is a 5.0.

no doubt that elevation changes make for much more fun golfing. some of those CO mountain courses use it excellently too; beaver ranch, bailey, and golden eagle (formerly Buckhorn) are some of my favorite courses. but not every course on elevation is good. it's not in CO but the Jackson Hole course is the best example off the top of my head.

and maybe it's cuz i've spent so much time in Texas around Houck courses but if par 4 and par 5 holes aren't present on a course, that feels like more missing to me than not having concrete tees, nice signs, or maybe even 18 holes.

your review was very well written and completely fair.

thanks!

Beaver Ranch is an incredible course. maybe i'm splitting hairs but the more great courses i play, the higher my standard gets and now i'm not sure i've seen a 5.0

maybe i'm splitting hairs but the more great courses i play, the higher my standard gets and now i'm not sure i've seen a 5.0
You're not alone... and I think that's to be expected. The more you see, the higher the bar gets pushed. A lot of the courses I rated as 4.0 a several years ago I now think are 3.5's at best. I've revised some of my ratings down on a few of my local courses to reflect that.

You also make a good point about a courses having a few legit par 4-5 holes... definitely makes for a more complete round.

maybe i'm splitting hairs but the more great courses i play, the higher my standard gets and now i'm not sure i've seen a 5.0

You're not alone... and I think that's to be expected. The more you see, the higher the bar gets pushed. A lot of the courses I rated as 4.0 a several years ago I now think are 3.5's at best. I've revised some of my ratings down on a few of my local courses to reflect that.

You also make a good point about a courses having a few legit par 4-5 holes... definitely makes for a more complete round.

I've also noticed that my personal course rating's bar has creep up over time. The first course I ever reviewed started out at a 4.0 but within months I lowered it to a 3.5. When I played it this last summer I dropped it to a 2.5.

As for courses without multi-play holes, I'd agree, its just not the same to me. Currently my highest rated par 54 is at 3.838 - Cliff Stevens. Every course in my current top 10 has several par 4s and most have a par 5. That stated, I'm fairly certain that if I ever had the opportunity to play an all par 3 course like Bucksnort, I'd rate it at least a 4.5. That one just looks so awesome, in so many other ways.

I was actually a bit disappointed by Beaver Ranch. I was expecting something more, for some reason. I enjoyed a couple of the courses I played in BC more.

We're going back out there in September to play the whole area, though...we'll see if my thoughts are the same.

With 1141 reviews written, I've only given seven 5.0's and as I look at those, I'm pretty certain that if I played some of these courses now, I wouldn't give them a 5.0. I think Circle R and the Whippin Post completely overwhelmed me 10 years ago when I had ONLY played 100-150 courses. The other 5 courses here I will stick with my 5.0. But I totally respect the fact that you haven't yet met a 5.0. Much better that than the reviewer (HBB) who rates his favorite 3.0 local course a 5.0 having played 13 courses.

Riverbend Estacada, OR
Circle R Wimberly, TX
Whippin Post Paw Paw, WV
Whistlers Bend Roseburg, OR
Beaver Ranch Conifer, CO
Hillcrest Bonshaw, Price Edward Island, Canada (Rated 4.94 but with only 8 ratings. I would really like to see it grab enough reviews to establish it's true worth. It is a bit out of the way!)
Flip City Shelby, MI

I don't think I've ever gone back and lowered a rating but I think I might if I ever returned to Paw Paw. (It's also a bit off the beaten track.) The Circle R course is now closed.

thanks!

Beaver Ranch is an incredible course. maybe i'm splitting hairs but the more great courses i play, the higher my standard gets and now i'm not sure i've seen a 5.0

I was actually a bit disappointed by Beaver Ranch. I was expecting something more, for some reason. I enjoyed a couple of the courses I played in BC more.

We're going back out there in September to play the whole area, though...we'll see if my thoughts are the same.

Expectations are another thing. Most of us try to be as objective as possible, but we're still human. It's hard not to be influenced by your expectations (one way or another) after reading a few reviews, or even how far you've travelled to get to a course... or how exclusive it might be.

You might even be influenced by the people you're playing with. If you're really enjoying their company and having a great time, you're already in a good mood... and vice-versa. I'm not saying it makes a huge difference, but I can see it swaying things for a course you think is borderline between two ratings.

All of this is why # of reviews is very important. Volume/large sample size is the great equalizer.

I have played the Selah and Trey Ranch disc golf courses twice now with one year between each visit. After my first visit i had Selah Ranch as being superior in the rating I had made up in my head. But a year later last thanksgiving was my second visit and i have come away thinking the course I liked least, Trey Twist, has now become my favorite.

Rating a top 10 course cannot be done by first impressions I believe. Rating a disc golf course seems to be almost as confusing as trying to master the game of disc golf itself... "I got a pretzel in my head".