• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Movement in top 10

Sad to see Maple Hill drift in and out of the top 10. With the large # of reviews it has, unlikely its rating will increase all that much. Like Steve or not, there is no reason this course shouldn't be top 5 at least.

That said, we plan to hit Muddy Run, Faylor and maybe the Preserve on our pilgrimage to Maple Hill 2nd week of October. Hope we will have better weather than MVP Open is having!

Sounds like a great trip. Faylor Lake is pretty freaking awesome, but plan on a couple of lengthy walks between holes.. Enjoy!

Sad to see Maple Hill drift in and out of the top 10. With the large # of reviews it has, unlikely its rating will increase all that much. Like Steve or not, there is no reason this course shouldn't be top 5 at least.

That said, we plan to hit Muddy Run, Faylor and maybe the Preserve on our pilgrimage to Maple Hill 2nd week of October. Hope we will have better weather than MVP Open is having!

I agree. I'm here working on (volunteer) staff for the MVP Open this week and it amazes me how many improvements continue to me made here every time I come. (The first time I played Maple Hill was in 2007.) It's a great course that keeps getting better!

As for the weather, it has been rough. The players had such good conditions for practice rounds and then unfortunately have had all this to deal with!

Noticed former contender VisionQuest is extinct on here. Played it today. Everything playable but very sad. Few other cards played and everyone had heard the same rumors of the land being sold. Few locals trying to get a final round in. Was something in the heyday. Fun golf still, but literal bones of what was littering the course. Good times. 3.5 out of 5.

Noticed former contender VisionQuest is extinct on here. Played it today. Everything playable but very sad. Few other cards played and everyone had heard the same rumors of the land being sold. Few locals trying to get a final round in. Was something in the heyday. Fun golf still, but literal bones of what was littering the course. Good times. 3.5 out of 5.
:(

It was in pretty good shape when I played it back in 2019 during our Target Field Road Trip. Glad I had the opportunity to play it before they let things slide. It really has some splendid water holes, and was a damn good course overall.

Although the footing's a bit shaky, #18 (teeing off from the floating dock in the middle of the pond), is one of the more unique holes I've ever played.

My son and I thoroughly enjoyed our round there.

I only got to play there once. I too enjoyed my couple of rounds out there. It was starting to show signs of neglect but was still a very fun course. A number of memorable holes out there.

Teeing off from that floating tee on 18 was pretty cool, but also pretty sketchy :D

I like Wilderness better than Rollin' Ridge after revisiting it last year. Sandy Point is just damn fun golf. A tick below Wilderness and RR.

Espresso has been doing excellent reviews for a minute now, He is really on an epic course bagging trip it seems. I've played most of these and I'm still jealous :p

Yes, I definitely had a good few days on this last trip! So funny how subjective these things can be. I preferred Rollin Ridge to Wilderness, but both are excellent. Returning to work after my jaunt around Wisconsin/UP has been brutal.

I like Wilderness better than Rollin' Ridge after revisiting it last year. Sandy Point is just damn fun golf. A tick below Wilderness and RR.

Espresso has been doing excellent reviews for a minute now, He is really on an epic course bagging trip it seems. I've played most of these and I'm still jealous :p

Rollin Ridge has had some variable seasonal wet areas over the years making the experience less than optimal which likely affects a player's experience/rating versus Wilderness.

Well, I seem to have a collection of WI golfers paying attention here. Heading to Milwaukee in a week or so. I will hit up the solid local courses, but likely will have a chance to make a drive or two. Where to go?

Fairfield Park
Silver Creek Park
Rollin Ridge
Zobel Park
Wilderness DGC

Well, I seem to have a collection of WI golfers paying attention here. Heading to Milwaukee in a week or so. I will hit up the solid local courses, but likely will have a chance to make a drive or two. Where to go?

Fairfield Park
Silver Creek Park
Rollin Ridge
Zobel Park
Wilderness DGC

Fellow Michigander's opinion :)

I haven't played Fairfield. Of the others, they are all solid options. RR and Silver Creek are relatively close together, as are Zobel and Wilderness. If you're thinking you could hit both in a day trip, I'd probably give the nod to RR and Silver Creek, personally. But if only one course, I might say Wilderness. Zobel is the weakest of the four IMO. Silver Creek is a less polished course than Wilderness or RR, but has amazing variety and the iconic lighthouse basket.

Last edited:

Fairfield Park
Silver Creek Park
Rollin Ridge
Zobel Park
Wilderness DGC

consider

stoney creek and sandy knoll are also great/fun if you get a chance

and birds ruins if out by wilderness

I was just looking at the Fairfield pics because I couldn't figure out why I didn't review it.

Kinda forgettable, at least in comparison to things like Rollin Ridge, Wilderness, and Zobel. Not bad, just maybe a bit inflated in rating because of Chicagoland.

You could do Fairfield and Silver Fox going that direction. Not sure Fairfield is overrated, just good in a different way from Rollin Ridge and Wilderness which are both almost completely wooded and excellent experiences for that type of course. The amenities at Rollin Ridge top those three courses with a pro shop and pub. Fairfield provides a more balanced experience with around 7 holes in the open but at least with elevation, wind factor and shot shaping challenges. Some of the open holes need a few more trees to provide more shot shaping challenges. This is being addressed as the locals continue to improve the site.

Fairfield Park
Silver Creek Park
Rollin Ridge
Zobel Park
Wilderness DGC

Can you grab me a 12 pack of Spotted Cow please and thanks. :D:hfive:

Enjoyed Wilderness and Zobel, pretty different courses so you get some good variety. If I recall Wilderness has 2 permanent pads and 2 baskets on every hole. Believe Zobel moves baskets from A-B positions. Enjoy the trip!

My ranking is...

Rollin Ridge
Wilderness
Fairfield
Zobel
Silver Creek

Rollin Ridge and Wilderness are nearly a toss up, but the Ridge has a special place in my heart from numerous great trips up there. Fairfield and Zobel are also very, very close... I give Fairfield the nod for nostalgia and some sick wooded golf. The White layout is fun on top of the challenging Gold layout.

Silver Creek is great too, but is the most vanilla course aside from a few stand out features like the Lighthouse Basket and the other hole by the lake. Lots of filler holes that the other courses don't have. (OK, Fairfield also has some filler holes, but only at the beginning).

My ranking is...

Rollin Ridge
Wilderness
Fairfield
Zobel
Silver Creek

Rollin Ridge and Wilderness are nearly a toss up, but the Ridge has a special place in my heart from numerous great trips up there. Fairfield and Zobel are also very, very close... I give Fairfield the nod for nostalgia and some sick wooded golf. The White layout is fun on top of the challenging Gold layout.

Silver Creek is great too, but is the most vanilla course aside from a few stand out features like the Lighthouse Basket and the other hole by the lake. Lots of filler holes that the other courses don't have. (OK, Fairfield also has some filler holes, but only at the beginning).

I'd agree with notapro (but I've only played the first 3). Fairfield is an excellent course, but in my opinion a tad overrated - which has earned me some hate in the past but I don't care. It's not quite on the level of some Wisconsin courses and I think locals have inflated the ratings a bit.

Latest posts