• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Movement in top 10

So that people can get a feel for how a course played in different weather/seasons, maybe "conditions" would be a helpful addition to the review template.

I would perhaps suggest to everyone that if a course is in "wounded" shape due to the weather that they should perhaps update the conditions index and not submit a review. You're simply not going to get an accurate assessment of the course with debris or floodwater all over the place.

Last edited:
I would perhaps suggest to everyone that if a course is in "wounded" shape due to the weather that they should perhaps update the conditions index and not submit a review.

Or if a course is marked as Unplayable, the ability to submit new reviews be disabled. It would hinder those who played it prior to being unplayable and took the time to write a review, but it would eliminate retaliatory reviews like this one.

That said, I agree with mashnut. Just because a course is well-respected doesn't mean it gets a pass when it's in bad shape (whether it unavoidable or not). I don't see how people can ding courses for broken teepads, crossing fairways and walking paths, but Idlewild gets a pass.

I would perhaps suggest to everyone that if a course is in "wounded" shape due to the weather that they should perhaps update the conditions index and not submit a review. You're simply not going to get an accurate assessment of the course with debris or floodwater all over the place.
^ bingo. IMO, course conditions don't get updated frequently enough. Some degree of common sense must be excercised by the reviewer in determining if a course conditions were exceptionally ____ for some reason.

Last edited:
^ bingo. IMO, course conditions don't get updated frequently enough. Some degree of common sense must be excercised by the reviewer in determining if a course conditions were exceptionally ____ for some reason.

And from what I've seen before, people will update the current course conditions. They just do it in the wrong place by writing it in the form of a review.

I've talked with people who didn't know they could update the course conditions. The feeling has been that should be left to the locals and/or the course designer.

played it the same day, according to their reviews. and this guy is from WI so it's not like he didn't know what the weather had been like.

But he said he drove six hours to get there which probably suggests that he is from Southern WI, which is a very different landscape. If he is from WI at all he should know Northern WI if he has ever been there, that the summer/ nice weather season usually doesn't start till early june. With that being said this was a very wet and odd year.

Most courses (public) have an entire grounds crew, or at least a local club to help maintenance.

Sadly...this is a subject that could be discussed at length.

Public courses may occasionally have a grounds crew but I would say it's not common. At least in my area. Typically if at a public park, the city employees only maintain the park itself. The course is left to the club.

Sad part is, a lot of clubs only have a core group that actually does most work. Others are more often than not only interested in playing. Typically they're the same people that complain. To get a larger group together, occasionally a scheduled work day will get some more to show. But even then, sometimes you have to give incentive (free entry to a club event, lunch, whatever) to even get a decent group for a work day.

When you actually get out there and spend time on a course, put in voluntary labor, and see what it looks like before and after, you gain a bit more appreciation and understanding of what it takes and what goes into maintaining a course. Sadly (again), many people don't even consider that part of it. And it's a lot more involved than one would imagine, especially this time of year.

It would be great if more folks were geared toward helping but I don't see it too often. Even bringing a tool to clear undergrowth during a round, clearing limbs, etc. Every little bit counts.

Maybe things are different elsewhere and there is great involvement from club members as far as maintenance goes within some clubs. But here, it's more just playing disc golf.

Much respect to folks who put in the time to make their courses better. Sounds like a full time job up at Highbridge Hills. It truly does improve the enjoyment for others, even if it goes unnoticed or people aren't aware of what the course may look like without the work.

/letters./rant.

Reviews should be made with the mindset of, if there were optimal conditions, how would the course play. That simple.
Seems overly simple to me. The review could be completely hypothetical and full of conjecture.

Last edited:
So if a course has huge drainage problems you wouldn't mention that in your review? Would your optimal conditions be 'Well if we were in a drought this water wouldn't be here'?

I try to not think of things like standing water and bugs in my reviews but we don't live in a fantasy world. Those things can make or break a round. Bugs are something that don't just happen after it rains. On some courses in MN, you have bugs or snow almost year round. Am I supposed to rate the course without those features even though they are rare?

I wonder if a stellar but not so top 10 course would get this sort of treatment in response to such a review?

In my experience, no.

This course has never received a rating less than 4 discs get's a 1 disc review because a guy caught it the week while it was in the process of being renumbered. There is only one area on the entire course you could possibly be confused about which basket to throw at, so it's hardly even an issue to begin with.

This issue has long been fixed and the reviewer notified multiple times. The review has no other content except to say that the hole numbers on the baskets were wrong so the review is completely useless, but somehow it still stands.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/reviews.php?id=4276&page=1&mode=rev#40458

I have. The problem is the review was valid at one point, but now it's not and I can't get the reviewer to update his review despite asking very nicely multiple times.

I see the review has now been pulled. Good to see cooler heads prevailed in the end.

now let's complain about the review AdamH brought up... that's even more petty.

I'm glad you mentioned that. Check out these reviews for Loris Nature Park in Loris, SC. Three guys all played the course in the midst of a once-in-a-decade rain spell and all lowballed the course. The town had gotten nearly 10 inches of rain in the 10 days leading up to the day they played. One guy even said he'd give the course a 2.5 - 3 if it hadn't been for the rain. So apparently getting that much rain was the course's fault. :clap:

all three of those reviews could potentially be deleted because they admitted that they did not play the entire course, which is a requirement to review the course.

you should flag them

So if a course has huge drainage problems you wouldn't mention that in your review? Would your optimal conditions be 'Well if we were in a drought this water wouldn't be here'?

Yes i would mention that in the review for sure. Im just saying when i give it a rating I would try I would base my rating off of how it would play when it is in the best shape. For example not having to do with water, if the grass was a bit too long in the rough for my liking at the time I played, but does get mowed fairly regularly. I would give it a fair rating based on when it was mowed. This brings up another point, I think it is hard to give a completely fair review if you only played a course once. It can be done, but may not always be completely accurate.

I guess the lesson here is: Take every review with a grain of salt.