• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Movement in top 10

.....Without any bias, and 150 courses played in 14 states, I truly enjoy Winter Park and the incredible variety of unique terrain so much more!
Then we have Idlewild, and I still contend Lincoln Ridge is much more fun to play. Idlewild may entice big guns to rip the occasional great drive threaded through the trees, but I could throw buzzz drive, buzzz straight, 50' putt, tap in to hole out, over and over again and not risk the awful poison ivy over-ridden super thick mega rough. Throwing over the water was great, but the lettered holes after hole 3 were mainly blah and skippable if time was an issue. The fake greens with concrete retaining walls and astrotruf looked cool in the pictures, but were kinda tacky and ugly in person.

As I think you already know, you must be my brother from another mother. I am not allergic to poison ivy.....I guess I inherited that from my mom.

Without any bias, and 150 courses played in 14 states, I truly enjoy Winter Park and the incredible variety of unique terrain so much more!

Apologies dude, but I don't think you recognize the incredible bias it takes to think that Winter Park is all that. It DOES have some good holes and some interesting terrain but ALSO has repetitiveness in shot requirements and course design flaws.

Apologies dude, but I don't think you recognize the incredible bias it takes to think that Winter Park is all that. It DOES have some good holes and some interesting terrain but ALSO has repetitiveness in shot requirements and course design flaws.

I agree many of the wooded holes up top are mainly straight midrange throws. But with 27 holes and variety of terrain and punching into and out of the open areas there is huge variety. I'm also nitpicking and saying of the many 225'-275' holes, they are varied because one is dead straight, one curves slightly left, one very left, one slightly right, and one very right. To me, it's a different disc off the tee on each one of those holes to yield the perfect flight, even if vaired just a few degrees or feet. I'm that blue level player chasing a challenging course that is fun to play. I want the ace runs (i.e. 250'-350' because 200' with narrow width to length ratio is a tough putter throw and not an ace run). Distance to me isn't necessarily a challenge because I just don't have anything over 425' in my bag, it's just a shortcoming, so on a 600'+ hole, if the rough is bad or fairways are narrow, i'm simply going to throw an easy putter or buzzz straight twice and drop an easy 3. Actually running the basket on many of WP midrange holes is a ton of fun. Accuracy on the drive, approach, and risky greens is a true challenge at all levels.

I did try and blatantly state that I ENJOY winter park so much more, but understand what you are saying. I try to segregate enjoyment and preferences from perfect design and physical installation and amenities in course reviews. It's tough, basically impossible to do, so I add background and explanation to the opinion in my reviews. I also describe my throwing skills, style, and prefences. I'm flawed and biased, human.

I have no incredible bias as I have no vested interest (although I do recognize the incredible amount of work it took to build that course by hand)......and I have it rated at the very top of my personal list of close to 400 courses played (including 9 of the Top 25). I had it rated that way before I met Tim or heard the story of the course.

Winter Park is rated 18th (of 4300) in the world at 4.59 while Holler is at 4.63, and Idlewild is 4.76. It does not take "incredible bias" to flip-flop these.....just a slight difference in preference of course styles.

Apologies dude, but you must have some incredible bias to make that "incredible bias" statement. :D

BTW, what "design flaws" do you notice at Winter Park? How do they compare to the design flaws at Idlewild?

I've recently played Idlewild, Hornings Hideout, Pier, Wilder, Dabney, and decided to skip Milo. I must say, I was underwhelmed by them all with respect to their positions as top courses, but some were extremely fun to play. Without any bias, and 150 courses played in 14 states, I truly enjoy Winter Park and the incredible variety of unique terrain so much more!

Hornings has some variety when you consider the number of courses, but can't even come close to the beauty, variety, and awesome design of the Highbridge courses. Meadow Ridge (their gold course) never deserved to be anywhere near the top 10 IMO. That's not to say it wasn't fun, there's just not enough overall variety other than distance. It's purely a wooded ridge course (yes, very fun personally). I really wish I had time to get down to Whistlers Bend because that looks more up my alley.

Then we have Idlewild, and I still contend Lincoln Ridge is much more fun to play. Idlewild may entice big guns to rip the occasional great drive threaded through the trees, but I could throw buzzz drive, buzzz straight, 50' putt, tap in to hole out, over and over again and not risk the awful poison ivy over-ridden super thick mega rough. Throwing over the water was great, but the lettered holes after hole 3 were mainly blah and skippable if time was an issue. The fake greens with concrete retaining walls and astrotruf looked cool in the pictures, but were kinda tacky and ugly in person.

Reviews to come. Maybe when it's raining and I can't work on all the course design and construction going on around here.
?
This dizzles off the hizzle for rizzle.

I did try and blatantly state that I ENJOY winter park so much more, but understand what you are saying. I try to segregate enjoyment and preferences from perfect design and physical installation and amenities in course reviews. It's tough, basically impossible to do, so I add background and explanation to the opinion in my reviews. I also describe my throwing skills, style, and prefences. I'm flawed and biased, human.

Exactly. We are all human and have our preferences. A review is by nature a subjective thing. It always cracks me up when people talk about an "objective" review. No such animal.

Bucksnort is similar to all the other courses in CO. As of now it has 4 reviews (3 5's and one 4) for a 4.75. It will most likely soon be in or near the top-10, most likely displacing a Highbridge course and pushing Maple Hill further away from the top.

RE Winter Park: I have it rated at 4.5, and that's based solely on the blue tees. The gold tees felt very unfinished when I played, and the red tees are frankly an awful set of repetitive short right turns but neither of those affected my rating enough to make a difference. Honestly if the tees were level, and there weren't several that are squishy soft sand, I would strongly consider bumping it up to a 5. I can happily deal with natural tees or just about any reasonable, but severely sloped tees and really soft tees take away so much of the enjoyment of teeing off on so many of the holes that I just couldn't justify that top rating.

We have been levelling tees at winter!:) not perfect but damn good. the course was in great shape when I played it last. Winter is my favorite place to play!

Winter Park Red Tees Left/Straight/Right play 8/12/7

Straight being defined also as an open hole with no window required to hit the green.

The Gold Tees were a overly optimistic attempt to make some really neat holes, but they fell short due to getting sand instead of crusher dust, and they were never maintained. It's too bad, some were sick!

The Blue tees (main tees) have been getting buily up and leveled with fallen cedar posts, and nice large landscaping rocks. Tees like 2, 4, 5, 8E, 9F, 13G, 13I, etc have all been leveled and built out with nicely framed natural objects.

I'm no longer there, GBPhilG is doing his best, too bad it's 22 miles away or he'd really put his heart into owning it!

As promised, I have just left reviews for Magic Meadows, Phantom Falls, Beaver Ranch, and several other CO courses I played last week. Those 3 were all good, but I have Beaver Ranch as the best and closest to what I think a top 10 course should be. Paulie is really awesome and has done some amazing work up there. Regardless of ratings and top 10 standings, that area is a great place to take a disc golf vacation.

As promised, I have just left reviews for Magic Meadows, Phantom Falls, Beaver Ranch, and several other CO courses I played last week. Those 3 were all good, but I have Beaver Ranch as the best and closest to what I think a top 10 course should be. Paulie is really awesome and has done some amazing work up there. Regardless of ratings and top 10 standings, that area is a great place to take a disc golf vacation.

Just got back from Denver myself. Played Beaver Ranch, Bailey, Rocky Mountain YMCA, and Edora Park. Beaver Ranch was clearly the best of those courses.

We mentioned to some locals that we were bummed that we couldn't get on at Phantom. They seemed to feel like Bailey and Beaver were better and we weren't missing much because of the cost.

Just got back from Denver myself. Played Beaver Ranch, Bailey, Rocky Mountain YMCA, and Edora Park. Beaver Ranch was clearly the best of those courses.

We mentioned to some locals that we were bummed that we couldn't get on at Phantom. They seemed to feel like Bailey and Beaver were better and we weren't missing much because of the cost.

Looking back, I wished I would have had time to play Bailey as well. Can't always tell by the pics, but they look great.

bjreagh with a near-BW of the reviews page! :eek: :cool: :hfive:

@ bjreagh. They only charged me $3 at Beaver Ranch. Someone was there collecting money at the entrance to the trail that takes you to hole 1. That would have been July 13th, 2 weeks after the change.

What? Flip gets a 2.0 and Blue Gill only gets a 3.0? What's his beef?

This guy gives "Flip City" a C- and "Blue Gill" a B- while he also reviews a couple courses he's never played. He probably wonders why he never gets an invite to any private courses as well. Even though the rating are from another well-known dg site, I thought I'd share this info to show that dgcr is not alone in the never-ending battle against inaccurate info and biased/bogus reviews...

Here's his awesome "in-depth" reviews of the 9 courses (with 2 DGCR top ten rated) he played on monday...

The Huver Damn DGC › July 29, 2013
B+
Gorgois holes but there prive and no course that's private should be called an a+ it's bull that the rating system can be high jacked like that only players how already are pre approved to play can even give a rating it's bs and an admin should fix this loophole

Flip City › July 29, 2013
C-
Gorgois holes but there prive and no course that's private should be called an a+ it's bull that the rating system can be high jacked like that only players how already are pre approved to play can even give a rating it's bs and an admin should fix this loophole

BlueGill Disc Golf Course › July 29, 2013
B-
No course that's private with less baskets than holes should be called an a+ it's bull that the rating system can be high jacked like that only players how already are pre approved to play can even give a rating it's bs and an admin should fix this loophole

Tomahawk Park › July 29, 2013
C
No course that's private with less baskets than holes should be called an a+ it's bull that the rating system can be high jacked like that only players how already are pre approved to play can even give a rating it's bs and an admin should fix this loophole
LOL, This is my course and I actually have 28 baskets but have loaned a few out to other Private courses that need them. If he actually played at my course, he could have been invited to play them too. He also must think that these courses mow themselves and make millions off poor disc golfers. I better not charge money either or I'll get a F-

Wessel Pines › TPC at Wessel Pines › July 29, 2013
C

Ponder Hills › July 29, 2013
C
No course that's private with no cement tee pads should be called an a+ it's bull that the rating system can be high jacked like that only players how already are pre approved to play can even give a rating it's bs and an admin should fix this loophole

Oller's Acres › July 29, 2013
C

Sage Creek › July 29, 2013
C
No course that's private with less baskets than holes should be called an a+ it's bull that the rating system can be high jacked like that
I 100% doubt he played here. They wouldn't let this DB there. The dogs would tear him a new one, LOL

And I bet this next one is his home course. Sounds like a nice place to play but I'd rather get a review from someone else. Who knows if he even played it but...

Merrill Park West › The Gulch › July 29, 2013
A+
Great corse awesome job sweet signs epic hard butt really like the hardness of the hole thing playes so much dif then I thought it would used my arm up by the end of the day. I am just surprized how dif the land looks from when I used to walk out there it's really sweet looking now. Cant miss this course guys

It MUST be bad ass if Flip City only got a C- in HIS eyes. LOL, he really says he likes the hardness of the hole of an epic hard butt. That just screams homo

/silliness :D