• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Movement in top 10

I hear the Bear is closed. What's up with that? When I was there in early June everything was soaking wet and John was trying like crazy to get out on the mowers (I saw him mowing a few parts of a few holes). Bear was the driest (but still pretty wet on many holes)....and by far my favorite course - the "best" IMO and the only one deserving a 5.0.

I was up there a few weekends ago; but did not get a chance to get to Bear because it was an event; with scheduled things taking longer than desired, as usual; but I heard rumors of the same; so, I don't know what the dealio is on Bear. I know White Tail is on hold again, though there was, as usual, also talk of it "being done soon." :)

Bear is done. It was very playable when I was there. I imagine it is a temporary victim of the super wet spring and early summer. I did not pay attention to trails needed to get mowers back in there, but I imagine that is the problem. And the signage was lousy (but I had a map, so that was no biggy).

edit: I just went to the course page and the conditions were updated to "Unplayable" with this verbiage:
Knee high grass in the fairways. Standing water in fairways. Large portions of the course are extremely muddy.

I guess it is not officially closed (unless I saw that elsewhere). I was there the week before when it was wetter and it was bad, but not unplayable.

Last edited:
You know, no course should be judged on the merits of a once-every-50-years flood, and in that sense alone ANY course would be undeserving.
I did notice, however, that the 5-disc review has all of 2:thmbup:, but the 0-disc review has 21:thmbdown:.

Ya'll are truly homerriffic! :|

So I saw that Blueberry Hill course in Highbridge got a 0.00 rating by a reviewer and it got knocked out of the top 10 because of that review. Absolutely absurd rating and the guy went there in may! This spring/ early summer has been extremely wet, in northern WI you can't just assume conditions will be prime. This guy had a bad experience because he didnt do his research and blamed the course. He said in his review he contacted the owner, I dont believe that for a second. Anyway cant we remove a rating? Its a tarnish on a 4.5/5.0 course that it didnt deserve.

OH and another guy played the course in the same week and gave it a 5.0.... wth

Last edited:
****. The strange part isn't even that the reviewed it the same week.

HGOGpMP.png

It's that they both marked playing it on the exact same day a month prior. :|

played it the same day, according to their reviews. and this guy is from WI so it's not like he didn't know what the weather had been like.

any course in the top 10 that receives a 0 rating is being done so to knock it out of the top 10. There is no way that anyone would honestly think that any course in this sites top 10 is a 0..... imo.

it's a bunk review but what are you going to do beyond disliking it and sending the guy a ton of pms about how big of a dbag he is

Bunk reviews have been deleted before. Perhaps that one will, as well.

But the guy is pretty clearly from WI right? So it's not homerism for something else in the top ten.

You don't have to be from the same state to support a course by attacking another with a bogus review. He says unplayable. He could have decided to come back when or if this guy can get a handle on this unfinished multiple course setup. I know you didn't mean to insinuate that if you are from the same state as a course then you have the green light to attack it's rating with a bogus review. He prob gave it 0 discs because he was angry and not because he actually thought that the course was a 0. It was his only recourse.... or so he thought?:wall:

LOL at disgruntled n00bs. He drove six whole hours to play and it was wet and probably got his shoes muddy. :(

The only way a course should earn a 0-rating is if it is an object course with no distinct tee pads.

I wonder if a stellar but not so top 10 course would get this sort of treatment in response to such a review?

I wonder if a stellar but not so top 10 course would get this sort of treatment in response to such a review?

I was thinking something similar reading the reviews defending Highbridge. I love that place, but if I showed up at a course knowing nothing about it and the whole place was knee high grass so you had to spend the whole time searching for discs, I probably wouldn't give it a 5 either. I'm not sure that a 0 was justified, but I also don't think that just because a course is highly rated that it automatically gets a pass when it's in terrible shape.

I'm glad you mentioned that. Check out these reviews for Loris Nature Park in Loris, SC. Three guys all played the course in the midst of a once-in-a-decade rain spell and all lowballed the course. The town had gotten nearly 10 inches of rain in the 10 days leading up to the day they played. One guy even said he'd give the course a 2.5 - 3 if it hadn't been for the rain. So apparently getting that much rain was the course's fault. :clap:

So that people can get a feel for how a course played in different weather/seasons, maybe "conditions" would be a helpful addition to the review template.

So that people can get a feel for how a course played in different weather/seasons, maybe "conditions" would be a helpful addition to the review template.

I think we all know any time there's been 10 inches of rain in the past several days the course will be flooded, or at least muddy.

This gets back to the whole idea of reviews being subjective vs objective, and whether certain aspects should go into helping shape a review and rating.