• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Movement in top 10

You could do Fairfield and Silver Fox going that direction. Not sure Fairfield is overrated, just good in a different way from Rollin Ridge and Wilderness which are both almost completely wooded and excellent experiences for that type of course. The amenities at Rollin Ridge top those three courses with a pro shop and pub. Fairfield provides a more balanced experience with around 7 holes in the open but at least with elevation, wind factor and shot shaping challenges. Some of the open holes need a few more trees to provide more shot shaping challenges. This is being addressed as the locals continue to improve the site.

I don't know that I can have a unbiased opinion on Fairfield. I've played tourney rounds on both the old and new layouts and it's hard to imagine another redesign that was a bigger improvement. The 7 open holes that Chuck mentions are in the same space occupied by the original 18. When the bridge got built over the creek, it opened up a bunch of wooded land that Chuck used to build some really tough Gold and really fun White holes. Removing so many holes from the original footprint allowed the new layout to avoid some of the swampiest areas. Original Fairfield would probably be a 2 disc course. Maybe 2.5.

Ridge and silver creek is a good pairing that I'd chose mainly cause it's a quick run up 43 but, Zobel and Wilderness are a great pair too! Plus what you plan on hitting in the greater Milwaukee that's a pretty decent trip already.

Well, I seem to have a collection of WI golfers paying attention here. Heading to Milwaukee in a week or so. I will hit up the solid local courses, but likely will have a chance to make a drive or two. Where to go?

Fairfield Park
Silver Creek Park
Rollin Ridge
Zobel Park
Wilderness DGC

Not sure of how much you want to play each day,
If two rounds a day is what you are looking at, my suggestions...

Pair Dretzka with Brown Deer as both are p2p and can be played from a daily pass.
Pair Sandy Knoll with Stoney Creek, Sandy Knoll has online parking fee/entrance fee, can be payed in Pro Shop on computer Josh has available.
Rolling Ridge and Silver Creek make sense if your will to drive that far north, Ridge is p2p and Silver Creek I think is now 36 holes, not two seperate 18's, but 36 holes (AFAIN, I haven't been up there in 10+ years since redesigns).
Wilderness and Zobel are about the same distance, maybe a little farther than RR and SC. In my opinion, better golf pair the RR and SC. Both of these have nice elevation changes while SC has some elevation and RR is more or less flat.
You left Root River off your Milwaukee County p2p list, in my opinion, better then Dretzka, Estabrook, and Dineen (I haven't played Madison Park).
I would pair Root River with Johnson Park down in Racine County. IMO, a very under-appreciated course. A guide is recommended as the course has not had tee signs (may have changed as I haven't got down there this year).
If you want to play Fairfield, maybe hit that on the way up from IL. Any of the Foxes (Silver 18, Grey 18 or Red 9, could follow Fairfield.

...Silver Creek I think is now 36 holes, not two separate 18's, but 36 holes

That's what it was when I visited almost exactly a year ago. That's also worth considering...it does take a long time to play.

Not sure of how much you want to play each day,
If two rounds a day is what you are looking at, my suggestions...

Pair Dretzka with Brown Deer as both are p2p and can be played from a daily pass.
Pair Sandy Knoll with Stoney Creek, Sandy Knoll has online parking fee/entrance fee, can be payed in Pro Shop on computer Josh has available.
Rolling Ridge and Silver Creek make sense if your will to drive that far north, Ridge is p2p and Silver Creek I think is now 36 holes, not two seperate 18's, but 36 holes (AFAIN, I haven't been up there in 10+ years since redesigns).
Wilderness and Zobel are about the same distance, maybe a little farther than RR and SC. In my opinion, better golf pair the RR and SC. Both of these have nice elevation changes while SC has some elevation and RR is more or less flat.
You left Root River off your Milwaukee County p2p list, in my opinion, better then Dretzka, Estabrook, and Dineen (I haven't played Madison Park).
I would pair Root River with Johnson Park down in Racine County. IMO, a very under-appreciated course. A guide is recommended as the course has not had tee signs (may have changed as I haven't got down there this year).
If you want to play Fairfield, maybe hit that on the way up from IL. Any of the Foxes (Silver 18, Grey 18 or Red 9, could follow Fairfield.

dineen is wasted resources

estabrook and root river were decent at best

johnson park in racine was a great surprise and super fun mostly easy to navigate

my major gripe about the foxes was there was no trees in the fairways which clearly sucks unless youre into that sort of thing

dineen is wasted resources

estabrook and root river were decent at best

johnson park in racine was a great surprise and super fun mostly easy to navigate

my major gripe about the foxes was there was no trees in the fairways which clearly sucks unless youre into that sort of thing

Dineen is indeed a waste of resources...
Apparently, the designer was not clear to the Parks Dept. about two pin placements per hole.
They thought he meant two baskets per hole... and then bought the same color for 36 baskets, instead of two sets (colors) of 18...
Root River can vary greatly depending on which basket placement is in.

A terrific track. I thought this was even better. Quakers Challenge.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=2315

Have fun Bogey. Shiprock was cool as well.

Shiprock is highly variable, because it can be really cleaned up or super neglected. I've played it at times where hole two's fairway was all stinging nettle, but I've also seen it super cleaned up. Even when it is all cleaned up, I don't super care for the holes that have the roped OB at the top of the course.

Quakers Challenge is super fun though and I need to get back there. It's been years, which is a bit silly.

Muddy Run is a touch overrated IMHO. It's a solid 4.25 kind of course, but it's definitely not in my personal top 10.

I like Wilderness better than Rollin' Ridge after revisiting it last year. Sandy Point is just damn fun golf. A tick below Wilderness and RR.

Espresso has been doing excellent reviews for a minute now, He is really on an epic course bagging trip it seems. I've played most of these and I'm still jealous :p

My ranking is...

Rollin Ridge
Wilderness
Fairfield
Zobel
Silver Creek

Rollin Ridge and Wilderness are nearly a toss up, but the Ridge has a special place in my heart from numerous great trips up there. Fairfield and Zobel are also very, very close... I give Fairfield the nod for nostalgia and some sick wooded golf. The White layout is fun on top of the challenging Gold layout.

Silver Creek is great too, but is the most vanilla course aside from a few stand out features like the Lighthouse Basket and the other hole by the lake. Lots of filler holes that the other courses don't have. (OK, Fairfield also has some filler holes, but only at the beginning).

I also really like Wilderness. I think it's my favorite WI course and I've played a number of the gooders out there. Justin Trails Big Brother is close and so was the old Highbridge Gold (I only say it as the old, because I haven't been back since it was taken over by Mountain Man)

I'd play Wilderness/Zobel if making the choice. Zobel can be either really great, or just good depending on pin placements. The epitome of a course that needs two sets of baskets. Wilderness may be the best course in the state not named Highbridge XXXX.

RR/Silver Creek is a solid day as well. Go play Lower Cato Falls for a wind-down.

Skip Sheboygan. Vollrath was "redesigned" (they lost the land by the lake, which was the signature hole(s)).

Stoney Creek/Sandy Knoll is a damn fun day. Just a tick below the ones mentioned above.

Silver/Grey Fox is a damn fun run, IMO. Not sure why they don't get more love.

Milwaukee courses are...just fine. Brown Deer is fun, but super flat. Dretzka is fun, but almost always busy.

Madison courses can be fun. Heistand/Elver are similar...but again, always busy. Token Creek is overrated, IMO. A good track, but nothing there really stands out to me. Birds Ruins is fun, but the bumble is real.

Being from Kansas I have been fortunate enough to play many combos in Wisconsin. Token Creek and Capital Springs, Zobel and Wilderness, Blueberry Hill and Granite Ridge, Justin Trails and Veteran Hills. My next combo hopefully will be RR and Silver Creek and then a ferry ride to the East landing in Ludington.

Which combo I like best... I don't know? Because Justin Trails and Veteran Hills were the last combo I played they may be the favorite now but I still don't know. But I will say that Wilderness was the flat out best course for testing my disc golf skills. Also of the 15 states I have played Wisconsin is the frontrunner as of now.

PS. Don't say anything bad about any of these combo's I have played or I will demote you.

Great 5th review of Faylor Lake keeps it hovering around 4.7, just behind Muddy Run. Matt 123169 takes the time to do a good comparison of two great PA courses. I think Faylor Lake is a bit more spectacular in a vacuum but all thing's being equal I'd rather play Muddy Run more frequently as well.

Hit Faylor Lake on the way back from Boston. Matt's review is spot on. Lots of eye appeal. Lots of wow factor. Lots of walking. Sig hole features a 100' drop on elevation from the long tee, to a basket 1000' ft away. His comparison to Muddy Run is a good one.

On a hot or muggy day, Faylor is draining.

With Moraine, North Boundary, Deer Lakes, Faylor, Muddy, Tyler East/West, Knob Hill...

PA has a wealth of truly destination worthy courses., and I still haven't played Jordan Creek, Camp Sankanac, or Nocky (assuming it opens again, pending removal of ash trees). Probs a few more I left out.

Hit Faylor Lake on the way back from Boston. Matt's review is spot on. Lots of eye appeal. Lots of wow factor. Lots of walking. Sig hole features a 100' drop on elevation from the long tee, to a basket 1000' ft away. His comparison to Muddy Run is a good one.

With Moraine, North Boundary, Deer Lakes, Faylor, Muddy, Tyler East/West, Knob Hill...

PA has a wealth of truly destination worthy courses., and I still haven't played Jordan Creek, Camp Sankanac, or Nocky (assuming it opens again, pending removal of ash trees). Probs a few more I left out.

Hopefully Agape Farm opens sometime next summer.

One time at Faylor was probably enough for me. Nearly crashed going down that first hill, had to start running down it to avoid the rocks slipping out, scary as hell.

The owner of AGA Farm/Preserve told me Nocky is highly unlikely to ever reopen.

One time at Faylor was probably enough for me. Nearly crashed going down that first hill, had to start running down it to avoid the rocks slipping out, scary as hell.
Tell me about it! :eek:

There's gotta be a better/safer way to get down that hill. Not only is it steep, but it's a looooong way down. At the very least, they need to install several solid posts and a sturdy rope line to make that descent manageable.

Then again, falling ass over tea kettle on the way down might make it twice as memorable. :rolleyes:

The owner of AGA Farm/Preserve told me Nocky is highly unlikely to ever reopen.
:(

I'd have fit it into my recent trip had it been available. Hope I still get the chance to have Nocky hand my ass to me.

Last edited:
How long does it take for a new course to be eligible for the top 25? I see that North Boundary Park is there as far as the top 25 in PA goes but do not see Ryan C Kelly Green Monster or Faylor Lake as of yet (suspecting these 2 would be shoo-ins!).

How long does it take for a new course to be eligible for the top 25? I see that North Boundary Park is there as far as the top 25 in PA goes but do not see Ryan C Kelly Green Monster or Faylor Lake as of yet (suspecting these 2 would be shoo-ins!).

10 reviews.

I believe that a course needs ~20 reviews for the overall Top 25 list, and ~10 reviews for the Top By US State lists.