• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Music During a round

It seems like failure to adhere to this rule could be a courtesy violation under 812.

That's why this rule (Competition 3.01) is weird....in that specific rule it talks about not being able to play music without headphones....but it doesn't say it is a courtesy violation -
a courtesy violation only happens when you aren't interacting with your cardmates.

And the rule you refer to (812 Courtesy) doesn't say anything about playing music. Item 3.a in that rule states ...
---------------------------------------------
A player must not:
Throw if the throw might injure someone or distract another player; or,
Throw out of order without consent or when it would impact another player; or,
Engage in distracting or unsportsmanlike actions such as:
Shouting (unless warning someone at risk of being struck by a disc),
Cursing,
Striking, kicking, or throwing park, course, or player equipment,
Moving or talking while another player is throwing,
Advancing beyond the away player; or,
Leave equipment where it may distract other players or interfere with a thrown disc; or,
Litter, including cigarette butts; or,
Allow their smoke to disturb other players.
-------------------------------------------------
Nothing in there about music, phones, or pagers. I guess you COULD say it is "Engage in distracting or unsportsmanlike conduct"..... The list can't be all inclusive, but I would think that if they specifically call out music, phones, and pagers in the tournament section, it should be here also.

That's why this rule (Competition 3.01) is weird....in that specific rule it talks about not being able to play music without headphones....but it doesn't say it is a courtesy violation -
a courtesy violation only happens when you aren't interacting with your cardmates.

And the rule you refer to (812 Courtesy) doesn't say anything about playing music. Item 3.a in that rule states ...
A player must not:
Throw if the throw might injure someone or distract another player; or,
Throw out of order without consent or when it would impact another player; or,
Shouting (unless warning someone at risk of being struck by a disc),
Cursing,
Striking, kicking, or throwing park, course, or player equipment,
Moving or talking while another player is throwing,
Advancing beyond the away player; or,
Leave equipment where it may distract other players or interfere with a thrown disc; or,
Litter, including cigarette butts; or,
Allow their smoke to disturb other players.
Nothing in there about music, phones, or pagers. I guess you COULD say it is "Engage in distracting or unsportsmanlike conduct"..... The list can't be all inclusive, but I would think that if they specifically call out music, phones, and pagers in the tournament section, it should be here also.

I just got my PDGA Rulebook last night and read the same thing. I would never play in a tournament and play music during a round. I might have headphones in during a solo round or warmup. Music does help me to focus and calm down in pre round warm ups.

Again, thank you all for the comments.

All of the responses I have gotten were what I expected. I never play my speaker if others don't want it. Summertime it dudes become necessary to keep my 7 year old entertained between throws. I agree speaker volume is key. One thing I have been doing on solo runs is listening to more meditative music to slow me down. But only when playing solo.

I don't take music with me but I definitely don't mind it when someone does - at a reasonable volume. I think it actually might help me focus. Adding a speaker to my bag might be in the future...

. . .

. . .

The rule is open and I think it could probably apply, but I agree it is weird that the rule would specifically prohibit it and then provide no penalty for its violation.

As to the conduct that is actually subject to penalty, there is a player in my area who wears headphones during his round and constantly fails to respond when asked about his score, doesn't hear when he is told the teeing order, etc. It's pretty annoying.

Lol....

. . .

"How dare you be so inconsiderate, to put me into a situation where I am responsible for letting you know my opinion......."

So you gaslight by blaming, belittling, etc., those who point out that you are being discourteous? This reminds me of the lady in the grocery store parking lot telling me how rude it was to point out that it would be nice if she put her shopping cart in the buggy corral instead of leaving it to block a parking space.

Seriously, we are talking about a very minor thing. But it is reasonable to expect that playing music during a round of disc golf, especially a tournament round, is something that might distract other players. The fact that there is a specific rule that prohibits it in tournaments should be a clue. Courtesy shouldn't have to wait upon an objection to being discourteous. If you truly see yourself as courteous, just don't do something that might distract other players. It's not rocket science.

I was thinking about playing with headphones on but I pretty much need all the concertation I can get otherwise my disc goes sailing off towards the opposite direction of the basket.

I was thinking about playing with headphones on but I pretty much need all the concertation I can get otherwise my disc goes sailing off towards the opposite direction of the basket.

Concertation? So headphones might distract you. But instead you carry mobile stage with Metallica playing on it? :p

If you want to play music you should ask your card if it's okay. That's the only reasonable approach. If they say no, it's a no.

If that creates too much social anxiety, you are probably dealing with something pretty significant

In the Army we had (probably still have) a saying, "Train how we fight, fight how we train."
This mantra has served me well in most areas of my life.
All that to say, if rules do not allow for tunes aloud during competition, then don't do it when you are practicing.
Now, if you are not a competitive disc hucker, then disregard. As you were.
If you are a competitive discer, and like tunes, maybe get head/earphones and start practicing with them in. And remember to keep it at a level that cannot be heard by those around you. AND make sure you are able to communicate with your cardmates during competition. That is all.

In the Army we had (probably still have) a saying, "Train how we fight, fight how we train."
This mantra has served me well in most areas of my life.
All that to say, if rules do not allow for tunes aloud during competition, then don't do it when you are practicing.
Now, if you are not a competitive disc hucker, then disregard. As you were.
If you are a competitive discer, and like tunes, maybe get head/earphones and start practicing with them in. And remember to keep it at a level that cannot be heard by those around you. AND make sure you are able to communicate with your cardmates during competition. That is all.

that and don't piss off the cook.

I've played a few rounds with folks that played music. Neither asked if it was okay. I think I just blocked it out. I'm pretty focused when I'm on the tee. I will admit that having movement within my line of site or peripheral vision is one of my bigger challenges.

People playing in league or casual with headphones are more often a pain than not, IMO. They make it very difficult to communicate with them and socially isolate themselves. It can be annoying at times. I realize some are better at using them and still hear the world around them.

I don't mind personal or group volume tunes. I am not down for country, EDM or dubstep, disco or a steady diet of reggae. Really other than that I am cool, given conversation can be had over it.

i would expect that the "DJ" would ask the group, if is was OK.

I tried using ear buds while out playing solo a few times. I really had a hard time finding my drives on holes I threw more than one shot on. Your ears really do give you a sense on where your drives end up. Some people can do it no problem, hats off to you, I'm a bit wild off the tee sometimes so I need all the help I can get.

I always play music, I have a JBL, they are pretty fantastic and hold up to a beating, rain and cold pretty well, I have yet to break one and am on my 3rd as the lithium batteries will die off after about 2 to 3 years depending upon usage. Recommend getting the smaller flip series ones they are usually around 100 bucks and will fit in your normal size drink holder on your bag/cart, they play plenty loud enough as I usually only have to turn it up half way.

I tried using ear buds while out playing solo a few times. I really had a hard time finding my drives on holes I threw more than one shot on. Your ears really do give you a sense on where your drives end up. Some people can do it no problem, hats off to you, I'm a bit wild off the tee sometimes so I need all the help I can get.

I always play music, I have a JBL, they are pretty fantastic and hold up to a beating, rain and cold pretty well, I have yet to break one and am on my 3rd as the lithium batteries will die off after about 2 to 3 years depending upon usage. Recommend getting the smaller flip series ones they are usually around 100 bucks and will fit in your normal size drink holder on your bag/cart, they play plenty loud enough as I usually only have to turn it up half way.

I wear one earbud (airpod) while playing. I think this is a pretty perfect compromise between listening to music but also being able to hear the outside world. There are definitely times where if I have an off-course throw, being able to hear how much foliage it does or does not hit can be invaluable.

also have a JBL clip and it works well. I usually leave it clipped on to my disc golf bag but use it pretty rarely - if I am playing in a group of 4 or more I'd rather just talk. But 3 or 2, maybe I'll ask if they want some music on. but even then I leave the volume low enough to not be audible more than 10-20 feet away, and will pause it if anybody plays through or we're on a hole that has adjacent or nearby players.

Latest posts