• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Music During a round

also have a JBL clip and it works well. I usually leave it clipped on to my disc golf bag but use it pretty rarely - if I am playing in a group of 4 or more I'd rather just talk. But 3 or 2, maybe I'll ask if they want some music on. but even then I leave the volume low enough to not be audible more than 10-20 feet away, and will pause it if anybody plays through or we're on a hole that has adjacent or nearby players.

I have seen those JBL clips. How long have you had yours? JBL is good, I burned through a bunch of off brand speaker boxes really quick, they'd just break, JBL have been the first that lasted awhile

As the designated DJ of my group, I'll always ask everyone first before I fire anything up. A single dissenter causes the speaker to stay away. If everyone is cool with it, the next question regards the style/type of music.
If ever I get a stink-eye from someone on the course, I'll turn it down or off, based on group decision.
If Im running the course solo, there's no speaker or headphones. I like to be aware of my surroundings when there's no one (trusted) there to get my attention.

My speaker is usually a Scoche Boom Bottle that I've had for almost a decade now.

I have seen those JBL clips. How long have you had yours? JBL is good, I burned through a bunch of off brand speaker boxes really quick, they'd just break, JBL have been the first that lasted awhile

I got the JBL clip 3 about 2 years ago. I use it to listen to music in the shower, when my computer speakers aren't quite loud enough, and disc golf. It's held up pretty well although I can't tell you how good the battery life is vs when it was new because I don't use it often or long enough to really know. but it doesn't seem like it has degraded a crazy amount

I gave a clip 4 about 1.5 years ago to my dad, and he loves it - clips it to his belt while he gardens/stacks wood.

both have held up well so far, no complaints! I also just started a new job and noticed they have a lot of JBL speakers so that made me think they make at least some quality devices

I typically listen to the Dead, Phish or other jam bands on and off the course.

Not a fan of hearing other people's music and always keep my speaker just loud enough for me to hear it. You'd have to be within 10' to hear my tunes & hope other do the same.

Well.....this is a pretty slippery slope. If I am on a card of four and ask my buddy Axl to play some tunes....then the other two guys are being put on the spot and I am being inconsiderate. Soooooo.....if all three guy ask Axl to play some tunes.....all at the exact same time....crap, now the Axl is on the spot.....

If you don't want music, just politely decline. Usually a touch of self deprecating humor softens the blow. "Nah, let's just listen to nature...besides, I suck enough without Neil Diamond."

Lol....sorry, man. I was only making fun of your absurd statement. Pointing out your problem, leaves no room for solution. All scenarios are inconsiderate, when given. courtesy is labeled as inconsiderate.

Get a grip. Simple questions are not an affront to anyone's sensibilities.

"Hey man, are you out, or am I?"

"How dare you be so inconsiderate, to put me into a situation where I am responsible for letting you know my opinion......."

naive at best

your perspective might be acceptable if you're only ever playing with your good buddies. for a lot of us, the people in our group range from strangers to mild acquaintances. it shouldn't take a genius to see how one person objecting to what others in the group might prefer creates an uncomfortable social dynamic.

and that is not simply a matter of being comfortable enough with people to frankly state your opinion (which many people are not for whatever reason, and it's still rude to ruin their experience even if you think they are cowards or too shy or whatever). i don't have any problem stating my opinions or preferences to strangers but it certainly can have negative consequences. i have been the odd man out at a mini that didn't want music and all 4 other players were generally antagonistic toward me for the remainder of the round and one tried calling BS rules infractions on me multiple times. it would have been easier to just put up with Avenged Sevenfold. should i just accept that either way i'm going to have a bad time and that is reasonable?

naive at best

your perspective might be acceptable if you're only ever playing with your good buddies. for a lot of us, the people in our group range from strangers to mild acquaintances. it shouldn't take a genius to see how one person objecting to what others in the group might prefer creates an uncomfortable social dynamic.

and that is not simply a matter of being comfortable enough with people to frankly state your opinion (which many people are not for whatever reason, and it's still rude to ruin their experience even if you think they are cowards or too shy or whatever). i don't have any problem stating my opinions or preferences to strangers but it certainly can have negative consequences. i have been the odd man out at a mini that didn't want music and all 4 other players were generally antagonistic toward me for the remainder of the round and one tried calling BS rules infractions on me multiple times. it would have been easier to just put up with Avenged Sevenfold. should i just accept that either way i'm going to have a bad time and that is reasonable?

never accept a7x

I enjoy music not just for the vibe, as in I'm out here walking outdoors to enjoy myself, and music helps with that, but also because people can't shut up when someone's getting ready to throw. When it's silent except for the occasional voice, my mind picks up on that, wants to hear it, understand it, and respond to it, and my body instinctively wants to turn towards the sound.

When music is playing it creates a steady background of noise, and I can better concentrate on my own throw.

I have a Clip as well. Have had if for 2 years plus and works great. I'm just a rec player and enjoy music while I play. The Clip is small enough for me to enjoy some tunes and not be heard 2 fairways away. Really can't hear much beyond about 10' from my cart. I agree, if those you are playing with don't want music, leave it off. If it's just you and you enjoy the music at a reasonable volume, enjoy. I make mixes or select music for me, not to play DJ. I agree with the steady background noise idea. Just be courteous, to those you're playing with and those playing around you.

I only listen to Christian Gangsta Rap. And polka.

Music out loud on the course is one of those things where if you have to ask, the answer is probably no. Then again, I also don't want to inhale your second hand smoke or vape juice.

I only listen to Christian Gangsta Rap. And polka.

Music out loud on the course is one of those things where if you have to ask, the answer is probably no. Then again, I also don't want to inhale your second hand smoke or vape juice.

Personally, I like to jam loudly that one Christian metal band Stryper.

No music for me but I'll occasionally listen to talk radio or random podcasts if I'm playing solo. iPhone speaker all the way up in my pocket is enough for me and doesn't carry to others on the course. Usually prefer listening to nature though as I'm an avid birdwatcher and I like to listen for the woodpeckers and nuthatches in the area. Appropriate volume music on the course never bothers me and no genre offends me just keep the volume down so I can't hear it 3-4 holes away. I've got more problems with the "loud voicers" that have to scream after every single damn shot about what just happened as if they're narrating everything while doing a Samuel Jackson impersonation.

I have no interest in hearing any personnel music on the course. But if I did it would be Symphony Hall that I listen to on Sirius Radio. I've noticed on course bagging trips when I'm listening to it, I play more relaxed and have a good enough round. I try to remember to have it flipped on within 30 minutes of arrival.

Other's music just don't have it blasting across the course, I don't mind hearing the different variety as I'm being waved to play thru for a short moment.

But if I did it would be Symphony Hall that I listen to on Sirius Radio. I've noticed on course bagging trips when I'm listening to it, I play more relaxed and have a good enough round. I try to remember to have it flipped on within 30 minutes of arrival.

I don't listen to much classical music but I love it for background noise while at home! I enjoy this station and local npr classical, but the courses I play at don't have good enough data coverage to stream them over cellular... otherwise I'd try this out some time

it's so strange that most people tend to regard classical music as perfect for background noise when it is the music that most rewards active listening. to each their own but i always thought it was weird.

it's so strange that most people tend to regard classical music as perfect for background noise when it is the music that most rewards active listening. to each their own but i always thought it was weird.

I prefer classical and the blues for background noise. Mostly because they don't distract me like some other music might.

Why does classical reward active listening the most?

Not an expert, but I'd guess there's more going on in the background besides power chords and drum fills.

Why does classical reward active listening the most?

Not an expert, but I'd guess there's more going on in the background besides power chords and drum fills.

haha, that's one way to put it!
power chords and drum fills are awesome though

the majority of classical music avoids repetition (let's not talk about minimalism). "good" composers and teachers refer to the rule of 3, don't do anything more than 3 times in a row. this is the antithesis of nearly all forms of pop music (most notable exception, interestingly, being extreme metal). for at least 400 years, motivic development (expanding upon an idea) has been one of the prime features of good composition.

a classic example is Beethoven's famous 5th symphony. the whole thing starts with 4 notes in a characteristic rhythm. the entire 30-40 min work is generated by and grows out of that one simple idea. to see how that process plays out, one must listen very attentively.

i guess an analogy would be listening to most popular music is like adults reading kids books closely and enthusiastically while listening to classical music or good jazz is like fine literature. it might sound snobby but it's pretty accurate. the reason is that the vast majority of people are never taught how to listen to music. active listening is a demanding activity and it requires skills that need instruction and practice.

Rick Beato does an interesting breakdown of Bohemian Rhapsody, takes about 38 minutes to describe the different chords, progressions, etc... throughout the song.

3dru4agyfkr71.jpg

Latest posts