• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Music on the course

I'm rather picky when it comes to my musical taste and generally dislike a lot of what other people listen to. But whatever, everyone has their own taste so as long as it's not loud enough to disturb me while I play my round, go ahead. Fortunately, I haven't seen it too much on the disc golf course but notice it all too often on the lift while skiing. Keep your music too your self, and I've got no problem.

You Michigan guys always crying about something!!! Smdh. "People's music distracts me on the course," or "that football team to the south is always beating us." Blah blah blah. Hehehe. I'm kidding btw. Welcome to the site. As far as your original question... I feel like disc golf is a unique experience for every individual. If music helps make their experience better, I'm all for it as long as they are respectful. Good taste in music is always a plus though. Lol.

P.S. Just noticed your user name. Diggin the ATHF reference.

Last edited:
I don't care as long as it isn't 70's music. Usually you only hear it for a few minutes, so what does it matter.

It doesn't usually bother me, I have even brought speakers and it doesn't bother me too much except for putting, for some reason my putting goes crap when I have music going

All the people I have seen playing music play the **** way too loud and it is garbage music to begin with. I don't want to hear it on the next teebox 300 feet away

Others: as long as it isnt cursing inappropriate music. Especially if young kids are around!

Mine: if im throwing alone I usually play country or rock. Never loud, and its always turned off if I get near any other players.

Count me as one who'd prefer to hear no music at all. Yeah, it's better if it's soft than loud; better if it's music I like than music I don't. But I enjoy the sounds of nature or conversation. I choose not to bring my own music, so it's a letdown when someone else brings theirs.

In the interest of tolerance, I'm not saying other players shouldn't play music when they're with me---assuming it's at a respective volume. We bend to accommodate other people's pace of play, moods, etc. But I'm happier if they don't.

I was playing Mt. Airy and on one of the small picnic shelters they had about 50 people 1 DJ and some loud music. talk about throwing you out of your game. First off my game was horrible that day but to have about 50 people around the baskets and pads smoking weed and drinking beer was just plain annoying. I dont like hip hop music but it is sure annoying.

Portable speakers and/or phones with speakers are the scourge of disc golf courses, IMO. I've got no problem with people listening to music while they play if that's what they want to do. It's just that I don't want to hear it. Frankly I feel the same way about people who blare music out of their car stereos and stores that pipe in music over their PA system.

IMO, the people that tend to blare their music so others can't help but hear always seem to have ****ty taste in music. I'm not saying I have the most discerning ear or taste in music, but I know enough to not try to inflict my tastes on others.

As the player who doesn't want to hear someone else's music, I can't win. If they are polite and ask, and I say I don't want music, then I'm potentially causing the bad vibe. Do you mind if I smoke my cigar, do mind if I get drunk, do mind if I listen to crappy music, do mind if I take a dump on the teepad....?

As the player who doesn't want to hear someone else's music, I can't win. If they are polite and ask, and I say I don't want music, then I'm potentially causing the bad vibe. Do you mind if I smoke my cigar, do mind if I get drunk, do mind if I listen to crappy music, do mind if I take a dump on the teepad....?
THIS.

I wear a Bluetooth to listen to mine, because I hate hearing other people's music. Yesterday I got stuck on a card and this guy had "jazz" music playing from a huge portable speaker. I had to put my music all the way up, and I still couldn't get away from that stuff. Last week a guy put on the craziest Rasta music and what I can only describe as dance music from California 1995. Totally screwed my game over that day. I think that's why people blare it, to give them a little bit of a competitive edge. They know nobody wants to hear their music. They could easily put on some headphones, but they don't.

I wear a Bluetooth to listen to mine, because I hate hearing other people's music. Yesterday I got stuck on a card and this guy had "jazz" music playing from a huge portable speaker. I had to put my music all the way up, and I still couldn't get away from that stuff. Last week a guy put on the craziest Rasta music and what I can only describe as dance music from California 1995. Totally screwed my game over that day. I think that's why people blare it, to give them a little bit of a competitive edge. They know nobody wants to hear their music. They could easily put on some headphones, but they don't.

When you say "got stuck" with this guy, was it a tournament (or league/mini)? If it was, don't be a victim, tell them to turn it down, turn it off, or plug in some headphones. Their desires shouldn't outweigh yours, especially in competition. If it wasn't, don't be a victim, find some other group to play with away from the noise pollution.

Nobody should be playing audible music in a tournament. That's just horsesh!t.

I prefer no music...I enjoy the nature around me. I can usually deal with it though, just prefer to not have it. But usually, the sounds of the course are more appealing.

Sometimes the guys I play casual rounds with will bring their music, mostly 60's, 70's and 80's stuff. Since I grew up listening to it, I can literally tune it out as background noise.

For some reason, they don't want to listen to my Don Edwards and Slim Whitman collection while playing. I don't think it's fair!

In Austin there's no getting away from it. If you politely ask to have it tturned off you're a prima donna, and the **** talking will be unbearable. I'd prefer no music most of the time, but I've gotten used to tuning it out. I'd love to play my music loudly on the course, just once, but I know darn well no one wants to listen to Tool and Deftones on the course, so I'll continue to refrain.

That IS a great avatar...

meralcosucks+government+is+great+for+me+to+poop+on.jpg

Just one time I want to bring my DJ equipment to the course and blare the twangiest country I can find, just to piss off all the college bros and hoodrats. :|

It doesn't distract me a lot if someone listens to music, headphones or speakers. But if you listen to music and are in group/card of people it is pretty much an outstretched middle finger to the rest of the group. Why are you so antisocial? Why do you pollute your ears (and others) with more noise (even if it is actually good music and speakers), isn't today's life noisy enough? Can't you just respect and enjoy nature?

There are studies that show that music helps with learning. There are some studies that show that music can improve productivity and concentration. But those circumstances where you get positive effects are fairly rare and not easy to create (right music at the right moment...). Usually beginners are distracted by music, and pros don't benefit at all. Other studies show that you loose up to 80% of your concentration. Or 30% of productivity.

We have 60 different interns each year. And every time they listen to music while working we have trouble finishing the job. Or accidents happen.

And for the sake of music - don't abuse it as some background noise. If you listen to music do the music justice and really listen to it and concentrate on the music. Like a good old fashioned concert.

Last edited:

Latest posts