• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Axis

In the wingfoot video in my sig on hole 9 I throw mine around 370', never thinks about flipping (But I did use a touch of hyzer).

Man i want mine to come in so bad...status on my order says "ready to ship". Come on DGC...help me love you

Mine says ready to ship as well and I ordered it yesterday, so if you ordered yours before it may be in the mail already and they just haven't changed the status.

Got my 177g green Axis last Friday and I love it. It is really a versatile mid which can pretty much do almost anything when asked. I am surprise that it can hold anhyzer lines very well. The key is to give it a good snap thus good spin then it holds spin like there is no tomorrow. It definitely replaced my Core in my bag and it seems it is good enough to replace my Fuse too, not yet as I will take Fuse and throw both Axis and Fuse in a round and see how it goes. Axis definitely gets an award for disc of this year.

Just got mine from Marshall St. This thing feels fantastic in the hand and the wing shape is much different than the vector, even more so than the profile pictures show. I can't wait to throw this thing, damn having to go to work...

Got my 2 in the mail today now if only i had some time to go throw instead of all this stupid school stuff

I think throwing this pretty new plastic, and having a buzzz vs axis duel might win out here in a bit

179g, Neon Green Axis Review.

It's proper stable as in it generally goes wherever you throw it. It's very linear and point and shoot like a Buzzz, but it holds lines and is super easy to power down on like a Qms or beefy Z Comet. It doesn't throw like a 179g mid, it throws like a 170-175g mid so if you're on the fence b/c you want a lighter one (I was too, I like my mids around 172-175) so don't be too scared. What really surprised me, despite being flat like my 1st Run Vector and feeling pretty similar with its thin rim, I had super clean releases all day with it unlike the Vector.

Flight: Yes, it does hold an anny line if you release it with anny but it's not understable to the point that you can rip it flat and it will turn over and hold it. It is better at holding an anny than a Buzzz (by far), a C-MD2 (by far), a Qms (slightly better and Axis is more predictable) but pales in comparison to a Fuse. Sharp dog leg rights are more Fuse territory b/c to hold the line with an Axis you have to be a little more aggressive or you might fade back to straight. It excels at anything from slightly right to straight to slight right, much like an Ion. Actually, it holds an anny better than an Ion IMO. It is gloriously and effortlessly straight, at full power and when powered down. I had a blast powering down and snapping little flex shots through the woods for gorgeous straightness. The glide is bizarre. There's no way you'd look at this disc, especially being heavy, and expect it to float like it does. I was overshooting many downhill holes b/c it just kept pushing forward. It has a much smaller drop rate than my C-MD2 or Qms, it loves to stay up almost as well as a Comet or Fuse. Hyzers are held pretty well but I occasionally rolled my wrist over enough to OAT it out of a hyzer into a straight laser, my fault not the disc's. Stable.

If you love the Ion, you'll easily love the Axis. It's extremely Ion-like except it's more neutral, more akin to the early opaque runs. Buzzz, MD2, and Qms throwers are going to be very threatened by this disc, I dare say it combines the best features of all 3 into one disc. My mids are Pain and Fuse and fits right b/w the two. I was hoping my Opto Pain would beat into what the Axis is, very HSS and some LSS but my Pain is turning Roc-like by losing some HSS and keeping its LSS mostly. So yeah, the Axis is in like Flynn and I might even try out a production run Vector if I can't keep a Pain overstable enough to give me something the Axis can't.

Nice review BroD! It's great to hear others supporting my love of the Axis. As I said before, this is the best mid I've ever thrown...It's the most revolutionary mid released since I've been playing, and perhaps the most revolutionary disc period.

It's proper stable as in it generally goes wherever you throw it. It's very linear and point and shoot like a Buzzz, but it holds lines and is super easy to power down on like a Qms or beefy Z Comet. It doesn't throw like a 179g mid, it throws like a 170-175g mid so if you're on the fence b/c you want a lighter one (I was too, I like my mids around 172-175) so don't be too scared. What really surprised me, despite being flat like my 1st Run Vector and feeling pretty similar with its thin rim, I had super clean releases all day with it unlike the Vector.

Flight: Yes, it does hold an anny line if you release it with anny but it's not understable to the point that you can rip it flat and it will turn over and hold it. It is better at holding an anny than a Buzzz (by far), a C-MD2 (by far), a Qms (slightly better and Axis is more predictable) but pales in comparison to a Fuse. Sharp dog leg rights are more Fuse territory b/c to hold the line with an Axis you have to be a little more aggressive or you might fade back to straight. It excels at anything from slightly right to straight to slight right, much like an Ion. Actually, it holds an anny better than an Ion IMO. It is gloriously and effortlessly straight, at full power and when powered down. I had a blast powering down and snapping little flex shots through the woods for gorgeous straightness. The glide is bizarre. There's no way you'd look at this disc, especially being heavy, and expect it to float like it does. I was overshooting many downhill holes b/c it just kept pushing forward. It has a much smaller drop rate than my C-MD2 or Qms, it loves to stay up almost as well as a Comet or Fuse. Hyzers are held pretty well but I occasionally rolled my wrist over enough to OAT it out of a hyzer into a straight laser, my fault not the disc's. Stable.

If you love the Ion, you'll easily love the Axis. It's extremely Ion-like except it's more neutral, more akin to the early opaque runs. Buzzz, MD2, and Qms throwers are going to be very threatened by this disc, I dare say it combines the best features of all 3 into one disc. My mids are Pain and Fuse and fits right b/w the two. I was hoping my Opto Pain would beat into what the Axis is, very HSS and some LSS but my Pain is turning Roc-like by losing some HSS and keeping its LSS mostly. So yeah, the Axis is in like Flynn and I might even try out a production run Vector if I can't keep a Pain overstable enough to give me something the Axis can't.

Just when I'd decided to get an Ibex, you write this review... Great review by the way...

Does it hold up very well?

Just when I'd decided to get an Ibex, you write this review... Great review by the way...

Does it hold up very well?

You mean durability? Yeah, the overmold is tough as nails and the core reminds me a lot like Opto except it seems grippier. The basket took a sliver out of my bead, that happens occasionally with Champ style plastic vs the DGA baskets I tend to play on, if it catches the knuckles just right it will take a little out.

If you meant glide, it's amazing how well it does, definitely more Comet or Fuse than Buzzz or even Roc perhaps.

I dunno b/c I haven't thrown one but the Ibex might not overlap with the Axis or might be different enough to pair with. If the Ibex has some solid LSS like a new DX Rancho then it should be fine.

Last edited:
It's the most revolutionary mid released since I've been playing, and perhaps the most revolutionary disc period.

I thought about posting a statement like this, then rethought, then saw your post, and now I'm happy to agree :thmbup:

I have come to know the disc better and it is becoming an every hole affair (that's what she said). It is REALLY fast off the hand, but slows and glides for the second half of the flight. Just amazing.

Discspeed, any info on the production run? Will it be changing significantly like the Ions? If it is I need to do some hoarding...

Discspeed, any info on the production run? Will it be changing significantly like the Ions? If it is I need to do some hoarding...

The Ion was MVP's "training wheels" disc. They went through all their growing pains with the Ion and learned how to fine tune every aspect of their molding process through it's development. The Vectors have been exactly the same since about the middle of the first run when they regulated the domes, and with the exception of a few mildly domier pinks they are already where they want to be with the Axis. I expect the second run to be exactly like the first, especially with the way these things are selling. I might still keep an unthrown first run aside as it could have some value down the road...

BTW, I'm glad to hear you love the disc. I loved it right away, but I was still kind of wondering "is this real?...is this really this good, or am I just playing out of my mind?" So it's nice to start hearing that others are having similar experiences.

I'm starting to wonder if there's a better midrange to recommend for people just starting out and want to carry a few discs. It's a lot more versatile than a Comet or Buzzz, friendlier than a Roc and just generally a great, jack of all trades kind of disc. Combine that with it looks purdy thanks to the overmold and plastic voila! Perfect beginner mid.

So the overmold is even tougher than the base plastic? I should have mine be the end of the week, in fact, I'll be auditioning the Vector/Axis combo (and Ion as well)

Discspeed promised me that if I switched I'd turn into a 1000+ rated player overnight. ;)

BD - nice write up! Encouraged to hear another review that puts this disc into the neutral/controllable catagory.

So the overmold is even tougher than the base plastic? I should have mine be the end of the week, in fact, I'll be auditioning the Vector/Axis combo (and Ion as well)

Discspeed promised me that if I switched I'd turn into a 1000+ rated player overnight. ;)

BD - nice write up! Encouraged to hear another review that puts this disc into the neutral/controllable catagory.

The overmold is the same as the core plastic at it's base, it's just more heavily weighted. It's surface texture is a bit different and I think this affects how it takes damage...It's easier to scratch, so nasty impacts with metal or concrete are more likely to leave a long scratch rather than tear out a little chunk like it might on the core.

573_a.jpg

"I hate you, rabbit"

Ordered one 10 grams higher than I would like. :( I guess on the bright side, if I like it, it makes something a bit heavier in the wind for after I get another one, and if I don't; MVP discs seem to maintain value in the market to where I could probably trade it off.

The overmold is the same as the core plastic at it's base, it's just more heavily weighted. It's surface texture is a bit different and I think this affects how it takes damage...It's easier to scratch, so nasty impacts with metal or concrete are more likely to leave a long scratch rather than tear out a little chunk like it might on the core.

Now that's smart! Putting the weight where it matters the most...on the rim. Will be curious to see how that affects snap/spin compared to a single density disc of equal weight.