• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Axis

Any ideas on how a MVP driver, particularly a warp speed driver, would be configured with the overmold?

Would the entire wing be the electron (I know it's not called this anymore, but it's easier to call it that for this post) plastic? Just the last 1/2 or so?

Thing is, wouldn't the electron plastic get beat up pretty quick if it was mold to a sharp edge? Seems like they might do a double overmold, i.e., proton in the middle, then electron, then a bead of proton to make the leading edge of the wing for durability... let the wild speculation begin!

I'm sure they'd make the wing big enough to have the proper balance of weight from the overmold. May be 1/2", may be more. Only the will know till they say anything to the public. The edge question is a very good one also, it seems as if the overmold on the axis and vector are quite hard and would definitely hold their zone fairly decently. Way better than some of the plastic drivers are being made of now.

I just don't see warp speed realistic from their company, nor do I see it beneficial. Correct me if I'm wrong, but everyone that throws MVP comments on how long their discs are compared to the leading competitor(s), and agree that the technology is working. That being said, absolute max-D lines are usually not perfect form, no matter the skill level....would MVP produce a disc that works for wrist roll?

Well the thing about drivers that makes me anticipate an MVP driver, is you often see distance molds of two types. One that goes dead straight then finishes hard (Overstable), and others that have varying degrees of high speed turn before they fade out. If they could replicate the incredibly straight flight of the Axis across a variety of faster speed ranges I think those molds would be both extremely useful and extremely successful.

I would hate to see any company, them especially, intentionally cater their molds towards players with improper technique. You would have to sacrifice something that would be beneficial to players with clean form.

I think the overmold for a driver would be simple. Use the proton plastic from the center and make kind of an H shaped cavity, so the proton is at the center of the disc and the edge of the wing. The proton plastic would also be the core of the electron plastic. Then you could adjust weight accordingly and not worry about durability.

MVP, just send me an application whenever.

I know it woldn't be in keeping with the MVP tradition of having an overmold on all their discs thus far, but there's always the possibility that they can produce a "conventional" disc without an overmold.

^^^
true dat.

In my mind it would be a "mini wing" that the overmold would go around in order to make sure as much of the weight is on the outside of the rim as possible. But that is my minor .02

I remember talking to Chad about overmolding a driver some time ago. He said that in the beginning when they were creating the Ion they underestimated the strength of the chemical bond between the two plastics and that future models would not need a jointed mechanical bond like the Ion. So they should have no trouble overmolding a driver of any type.

I remember talking to Chad about overmolding a driver some time ago. He said that in the beginning when they were creating the Ion they underestimated the strength of the chemical bond between the two plastics and that future models would not need a jointed mechanical bond like the Ion. So they should have no trouble overmolding a driver of any type.

SCIENCE!

Yeah, mine is green and flat as hell.... very little fade. What color is yours out of curiosity? I hear the pink ones are more domey by nature.

Sucks that there is a difference between colors, but at the same time, it's nice to have the option to have a slightly altered version of a disc... you can get it just right with some research. I support your theory that a flatter one would give the shark a run for its money.

Yeah it's kind of nice but can suck if you haven't read up on them and / or are ordering online from a place that won't hand pick them based on dome for you. I think a domier and a flatter Axis are a very good compliment for each other. I used the flat neutral one the most, but when I want a little more fade or there's some headwind coming in, out comes the dome.

Looking at getting an Axis.

Can someone summarize the effects of color, dome, and plastic (eclipse v. proton) on the flight characteristics of the Axis?

I'm looking for something pretty much straight with a little fade at the end. Something that can take 300' of power without flipping.

Can someone summarize the effects of color, dome, and plastic (eclipse v. proton) on the flight characteristics of the Axis?

I'm looking for something pretty much straight with a little fade at the end. Something that can take 300' of power without flipping.

Just avoid totally flat ones (first run greens stick out in my mind) since those can have a touch of high speed turn on a 300' shot out of the box. Your description above describes the average Axis pretty spot on.

Discs seem to fly differently for everyone but I'd say your description is more fitting of a Vector. I find 300' of power will easily turn an Axis over and very quickly at that. A Vector however flies very straight for me at that power. I think the Vector best compares to a Wasp or a faster Sentinnel (in case you have not thrown a Vector but have thrown one of these).

Keep in mind that the only difference in materials in an Eclipse disc is the rim. The center piece is still Proton plastic. I would not be shocked if the center piece of plastic on the Axis is of the exact same run in both the Eclipse and 2nd run since those discs were both released about the same time so I'd expect the same flightplate shape across 2nd run and Eclipse.

I hope this helps even if my experience differs from Discspeed's.

Latest posts