• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Disc Sports (Official Thread) (Part IV)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Need expert MVP help. I've sold off my Innova (after 18 years of playing) and am transitioning to MVP. Destroyer Firebird was my old game... but I'm "too old for that stuff". I can't do it anymore.

As such, I'm trying to build a cart of about 20 discs that covers shot selection with some back-ups for a lower power game with control. I want to lower my weights to about 163-168 from 175. I tried Fission plastic but it has only worked in one mold so far... Here's what I've thrown:

Fission Photons - 153, 166, 165. The 160s were hyser flip city. I could only throw them flat if I threw hyser in my reach back. Never went left. The 153 was domey and would give me a left or flat on hyser but would flip if thrown flat. Inconsistent for me.

Neutron Photon - 166 - flat profile. I was getting out to 350-400 on a flat - but also found myself consistently OATing it to ground. I decided it required to much power and I'd rather dial back speed-wise for consistency.

Needless to say, I didn't stick with the Photons.

Fission Tesla - 163 - This is a stable-understable flier for me. If I throw hyser it pops up flat, if I throw flat, I get some right movement. I'm using it for shots flat with baskets to the right. I suspect it will get too flippy quick given the fission plastics fast beat. I really like the mold / rim. It's the one disc I'm confident what I can do with it.

Neutron Axis - 176 - I'm throwing this one a lot. 250' and in if I don't need to crank left.

Neutron Resistor - 176 - For 250' shots to the left where I can't see a basket, etc - I can't quite power it to 300'. It's a nice utility disc but 1 would be all I'd carry. Maybe a Motion or Fireball for more distance?

Electron Atom- 174 - getting a pool top quick. I keep bending it back. It's not bad on short approaches. Mainly using it as a circle putter. Like the low rim. Maybe an Envy in soft neutron so it will hold up better?

Where do you suggest I go based on those results? I like the Opaque plastics for locating discs on the course (Plasma, Neutron). Haven't thrown Plasma and have no idea how it handles compared to Fission / Neutron. Prior to this lot, the last disc I bought was like 2008.

I attached pictures of the two I got.
f215b2af80d98643411462b00e6ea3de.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

That Envy is awesome. I'd take one.

You're on the right track with a lot of the discs you have. If I were to build a 20 disc bag of MVP keeping speed 10 and below, this would be it:
Putting putter: depends... I prefer the Streamline pilot-same company, just no overmold. Total: 1
Proxy/Envy: two putters that cannot be beaten. Straight to fade and straight to straight are both covered. One of the best combos in the game I use both with soft neutron and they haven't seasoned... at all... haha. Total: 3
Vector/Axis: I carry 4, soon to be 5 when the US mid comes out. 1 OS vector, one straight to fade vector, one dead straight beat to heck vector, one beat to heck axis that turns a bit and doesn't think about coming back. Total: 7-8 (we'll say 8 ;) )
Resistor/crave/inspire: slower fairway drivers. I'd say two resistors, one max weight one light. I've got a beat light one, maybe we could make some kinda deal if you're interested. Covers super OS and straight to fade. Two craves: one fresh for a bit less OS but glidier than the resistor and one beat up light one for sliiigghhttllyyy US duties. One inspire for true understable duties. I'd say mid 160s on the inspire to make it a touch more turn happy and less LSS. Total: 13
20mm drivers: one motion for headwind purposes; they're still plenty OS in the mid 160s trust me haha. One Neutron Tesla at 165-168 grams, they're a touch overstable but not too bad. Great go to discs and very accurate with good glide. I have a nice one that's a softer blend of neutron that's 167 and a dream to throw but no longer in the bag if you're interested. One Fission Tesla that you have. Two inertias, one 168 and one lightweight. That should cover everything you need DD wise. Total: 18
2 under budget ;)

Last edited:
what are they waiting for on a neutron Pilot?!?!:\

BTW I bought a Plasma volt yesterday which was max weight and it was FAR less stable than any relay I have ever thrown. I was perplexed to say the least. I threw it 7 or 8 times, amazed that with a generous hyzer it still flipped way over. Finally it flipped so far over it is now missing in heavy brush. Anyone seen that before?

I was pretty shocked. I have thrown volts before and they have always been stable. I have been throwing pd's in that slot but wanted to give the volt another look. Really weird. really never seen a flight like it with almost any disc. It was VERY under stable but it would not turn and burn. The end result was a bizarre looking flight path where it would completely and aggressively flip, going way right but eventually hook up.

Ordered 2

Last edited:
Need expert MVP help. I've sold off my Innova (after 18 years of playing) and am transitioning to MVP. ...

Where do you suggest I go based on those results? I like the Opaque plastics for locating discs on the course (Plasma, Neutron). Haven't thrown Plasma and have no idea how it handles compared to Fission / Neutron. Prior to this lot, the last disc I bought was like 2008.

I'm old (which means I'm accustomed to hyzer-flipping damn near everything) and recently come to throwing primarily MVP, so I might be able to help. I throw discs primarily 163g - 169g.

This is what I carry and throw:

I putt with an Omega SS, still.

Approach/Mids -- Electron Spin and Atom, Streamline Pilot. (Also, Vibram Ibex.)
The Atom is for straightish shots where I want to avoid sailing long. The Pilot is for longer shots where I want carry and throwing long isn't a worry. The Spin is for anything I have to shape with a lot of turnover. (The Ibex is the only true mid and it gets the longer shots and hook shot duty.)

Fairways -- Neutron Signal, Switch, Relay, Volt. The Relay and Volt get most of the work. The Signal is working in as a roller.

Control Drivers -- Neutron Inertia and Impulse. I used to have a Tesla and just never used it much.

Plasma feels better in the hand, to me. I don't have any of it currently because I've not been able to get the color/weight combos that I want. It's just easier to load up on the Neutron for the longer discs.

So is mvp bringing awareness to or in support of illuminati? The latter would be disappointing to me. I have no desire to contribute to that in any way.

Here's where I'm at:

Distance:
2 N Teslas - Mid-160s
1 F Tesla - 163

Looking at Inertia, Motion, Fireball, Wrath, Insanity - What would you fill in here with? Plasma? Neutron?

Roller? - Virus? Impulse? Insanity? Inertia? Other?

Fairway:
1 N Resistor 168

Do I need a Volt? Crave? Amp? Clash? etc? Plasma? Neutron?

Midrange:
1 N Vector -178
1 N Axis - 176
1 N Vertex - 178

I'm throwing the Axis a lot. It feels like an improved Discraft Nebula. Thinking Vector / Vertex will be OS / US Axis. I like the Matrix but transparent's a no go for me.

Putt / Approach:
2 Pl Envys - Mid-170s
1 E Atom - 174

I'm thinking the Envy's will eventually replace Atom in circle. Do I need a N Envy for more OS approach putter?

Last edited:
Here's where I'm at:

Distance:
2 N Teslas - Mid-160s
1 F Tesla - 163

Looking at Inertia, Motion, Fireball, Wrath, Insanity - What would you fill in here with? Plasma? Neutron?

Roller? - Virus? Impulse? Insanity? Inertia? Other?

Fairway:
1 N Resistor 168

Do I need a Volt? Crave? Amp? Clash? etc? Plasma? Neutron?

Midrange:
1 N Vector -178
1 N Axis - 176
1 N Vertex - 178

I'm throwing the Axis a lot. It feels like an improved Discraft Nebula. Thinking Vector / Vertex will be OS / US Axis. I like the Matrix but transparent's a no go for me.

Putt / Approach:
2 Pl Envys - Mid-170s
1 E Atom - 174

I'm thinking the Envy's will eventually replace Atom in circle. Do I need a N Envy for more OS approach putter?

Teslas are basically longer Volts. Plasma Insanity pairs well with either.

What would mvps or axioms closest thing to a ringer be. Also would you say the envy is faster then the labeled 2 speed, I prefer faster upshot putters.

What would mvps or axioms closest thing to a ringer be. Also would you say the envy is faster then the labeled 2 speed, I prefer faster upshot putters.

Envy stole most of my mid work as I grew comfortable with it. Proxy and Envy, great companions and great short drivers.

Envy has a 10mm rim (not unlike many putters, typically either 0.9 or 1.0 cm), but I'd consider the Envy a 3/4/0/2. MVP/Axiom don't list flight numbers in the Innova model, so the 2 you saw was an arbitrary take. Because it is slightly lower profile than a traditional deep dish putter (if the diameter was smaller, Envy would literally fit inside a wizard based on disc height and inside rim height values) and typically has a nice flat top, it can pass for a mid on a glance and in high speed stability.

I'd recommend a Soft Neutron for wooded courses to absorb tree hits and drop in place.

Whoever gets the LE Envy / Tesla's in first should post some pictures and give a little review. Interested to see how the Envy's turn out. I know that my other Plasma Envy is not as OS as my Neutron ones of the same weight. Which is ok for the envy as its straight regardless. Hope the plastic is grippy for the cooler weather we have now and winter soon :(

PS: How does Plasma hold up in Winter? does it firm up solid or is it still pliable?

Status
Not open for further replies.