• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Disc Sports (Part VI)

I'm a hipster, I'll duckduckgo it ;)

I don't think I've ever watched him throw now that I think about it.

Pffft I prefer lycos.

You didn't see the Music City Open se proxies?

It's cool Simon wants to swing that way, my envy stock took a bad enough hit with JC. How will I ever get envy #42? It needs to be special.

Oh man there is a ton of footage you will love, until he whips out that anode

I'm a hipster, I'll duckduckgo it ;)

I don't think I've ever watched him throw now that I think about it.

Simon has been fun to follow this year because his bag is constantly changing. You should go back and watch his videos from Jan 1 onwards as he processes through a ton of MVP molds. The proxy was something he settled on pretty quickly. He seemed to really like the proxy and struggled to connect with the Envy.

For me, I am able to use them interchangeably and prefer to have a premium envy and premium proxy that cover two lines of flight. My only hope now is the proxy gets flippy and I can either move a beat envy down or fill the gap with a fresh premium proxy.

I'll take a look at some point when I have some down time while on vacation.

I went back and forth between the proxy, and the proxy and envy combo.

proxy hasnt left my bag since they came out but the envy comes and goes.

since buying some eclipse proxies, which fly in between my soft N's and my envy's, the envy lost its spot in my bag.

kind of ironic because I think the envy might be the overnolded disc I have the most aces with. I think I've got 4-5, and 2-3 with the proxy.

I was at my local disc golf store (Spinners on the Green) and found a lightly used Electron Soft Proxy and a mostly brand new Neutron Amp in the MVP used bin.

I've been reading about the Proxy in this thread, so I figured...what the heck, let's get it and try it out. I still like my Ohm for putting, but when I get out of my Ohm distance, I've been using my Proxy. Still working with it for upshots and tee shots. I'm trying to see if the Proxy will replace my DGA Breaker for upshots and short tee shots....or if it will be a complement to it (Breaker is more overstable...so both may have a place in my bag).

The Amp I haven't had much of a chance to try it out. I've been focusing on throwing 5 speeds or less this year....but I couldn't miss out on this Amp since it looks brand new and I got if for used disc price. I'm thinking someone didn't like it and turned it in for cash. My gain. I'll test this out in a field until I'm ready to start throwing discs over 5 speed again. I did try it out recently on the course. It was a second shot off the tee while we were waiting for a friend who had to go back a couple of holes for a disc left behind. I liked the flight and it felt really good in the hand.

I was at my local disc golf store (Spinners on the Green) and found a lightly used Electron Soft Proxy and a mostly brand new Neutron Amp in the MVP used bin.

I've been reading about the Proxy in this thread, so I figured...what the heck, let's get it and try it out. I still like my Ohm for putting, but when I get out of my Ohm distance, I've been using my Proxy. Still working with it for upshots and tee shots. I'm trying to see if the Proxy will replace my DGA Breaker for upshots and short tee shots....or if it will be a complement to it (Breaker is more overstable...so both may have a place in my bag).

The Amp I haven't had much of a chance to try it out. I've been focusing on throwing 5 speeds or less this year....but I couldn't miss out on this Amp since it looks brand new and I got if for used disc price. I'm thinking someone didn't like it and turned it in for cash. My gain. I'll test this out in a field until I'm ready to start throwing discs over 5 speed again. I did try it out recently on the course. It was a second shot off the tee while we were waiting for a friend who had to go back a couple of holes for a disc left behind. I liked the flight and it felt really good in the hand.

I think you'll find the Proxy similar to the Ohm at our arm speeds. If you don't like that Amp let me know. I have one and I've been trying to beat in a Volt to that same state of flight, but haven't been able to yet.

If you're mucking with 5 speeds I don't think the Amp will deliver what you hope... give it a few rounds and see, it's more of a seasoned volt then what the numbers represent, especially fresh. Throw it without expectations, don't let someone assign a number to a disc... Freedom!!!!

Sweet score!!!!!

Simom throws the Proxy? Neat! Any good videos I should check out of him throwing them for tee shots?

How about the one just posted recently from The Preserve? James and Simon hit up the shorter course on the property and only throw putters. James with 3 Envies and Simon with 2 Proxies.

They played better than I do with my full bag. :mad:

The Orbital? What the deal. I don't follow this thread. I put in in the bag as a water/throwaway disc. It goes places. Neutron 170ish.

It was the Orbital that turned me on to MVP/Axiom, first disc I picked up a year ago April, in June last year decided to flip my bag after about 1/2 dozen discs picked up. When I picked up the Orbital I was 1-stepping, loved it, lost it a few months later. Replaced the Neutron also with a Plasma Orbital last fall while x-stepping, not so good boxed them both until last month on a 3-step much better both discs are at 174g. Had a hunch a lower weight might turn flip like my Star Mamba, so I ordered a 161g a few weeks ago, lots of turn decent distance, this past week a 168g less turn more distance beautiful glide after flip, stable throughout. The "deal" for myself is too see if I can bump out the Star Mamba squirrely, and that is a possibility. Putter thru 9-speed is now all MVP/Axiom, with the Mamba the last holdout in 11-speeds. 13-14 speeds all Innova except for a Mayhem, different story going on there, all boxed until the wind picks back up in the fall.

I packed it around as a water disc after trying it as a distance driver. Got some truly amazing throws with it and a bunch of garbage throws too. Last time I tried em was when they first came out, I hear the new ones are more stable. I think I would have liked that.

This one time on a huge downhill I got a 3 turn s out of it. Popped it out hyzer and it rode that way awhile before the turn rolled it over just past straight to an anhyzer, it rode it out straightened up and faded. Craziest thing I ever saw, overshot a pin I haven't reached since by about 80'. I just couldn't replicate it again. I just couldn't find the right power level/ technique consistently.

2nd night of field testing the fission rhythm 160, I think it earns the extra 0.5 glide. Not incredibly different than my others thrown flat but a touch less hss and a hint more lss to start but I think it will break in further. Its a lot like my other domey 160 n that has now become flat topped. The major difference is too much anhyzer makes it a roller much faster.

I'm finding the Plasma Orbital giving me some amazing distance on a fade, and then mostly garbage as in a turn to the ground all on the practice field, no course time at all, no trust. The neutron 174g consistent, but mostly short on distance. Both back in the box while I work on the Mamba/neutron 168g contest. The 168g on the turn/flip flies just like a Virus or Relay, but much longer distance, I even used it on the course yesterday twice dogleg left both a beauty on the dogleg. The 161g RIP, first time off the tee earlier in the week, clipped a tree into the river. The whole idea was to work with the 168 and 161 on the practice field as a contest, 168 arrived on Monday, 161 splash on Tuesday, go figure. The 161 will make a great roller disc when I'm ready for it, so it's going to come back. 168 is a keeper, what to do with the 174?

Fission Rhythm, I'll check them out when they arrive in the store. Love the Neutron, before the Orbital's arrive, I was on my first week working on the whip with the neutron and the Relay, both feel good, reaching new places, this after finishing the bag with the 3-step.

In the photo the red disc is the 168g reaching past the Star Mamba the first time first day of practice, a few more times today. A few feet past the Fission Wave about 40-feet to the right. It's an outstanding practice field in an open park, I can use concrete in either direction, and can get some good wind work. That's my van you see in the photo, today throwing left to right in the photo, on a downwind, the 168g turned flip and headed right towards my van in the same parking spot I was getting scared, slide about 20 feet short, I decided not to throw the Star Mamba:D.

*****Forgot the photo, next page.

Last edited:
It was the Orbital that turned me on to MVP/Axiom, first disc I picked up a year ago April, in June last year decided to flip my bag after about 1/2 dozen discs picked up.

Fission Rhythm, I'll check them out when they arrive in the store. Love the Neutron, before the Orbital's arrive, I was on my first week working on the whip with the neutron and the Relay, both feel good, reaching new places, this after finishing the bag with the 3-step.

In the photo the red disc is the 168g reaching past the Star Mamba the first time first day of practice, a few more times today. A few feet past the Fission Wave about 40-feet to the right. .

Nice I'm glad the Orbital is working out, they are a fun disc. Impressive distance if you can beat your Mamba. I kinda wish I still had that fr 155 Orbital but if I remember right I think I replaced it with a 165 SE vanish, I should just pull that out, some relays a signal and that virus I never gave a chance to. Haha.

How is the rhythm and relay different for you?

I kind of got the rhythm and shelved the signal and virus before they got a fair chance for play wven though i was liking them. I haven't tested the 173 fission rhythm yet, been busy running the 160 fission against a 160 neutron (low plh, previously domey). It's a good match up, the fission is definitely less stable and so far a touch longer.

Nice I'm glad the Orbital is working out, they are a fun disc. Impressive distance if you can beat your Mamba. I kinda wish I still had that fr 155 Orbital but if I remember right I think I replaced it with a 165 SE vanish, I should just pull that out, some relays a signal and that virus I never gave a chance to. Haha.

How is the rhythm and relay different for you?

I kind of got the rhythm and shelved the signal and virus before they got a fair chance for play wven though i was liking them. I haven't tested the 173 fission rhythm yet, been busy running the 160 fission against a 160 neutron (low plh, previously domey). It's a good match up, the fission is definitely less stable and so far a touch longer.

Rhythm is a nice long S curve, fun to watch it fly thru trees, more fun with some height. I'm LHBH like you, mostly finishes left of target fading back in. It's my favorite disc to throw, reliable, need room for it and hard to find lines in heavier wooded courses. Bought it in January, loved it on a few practices throws on course, never took it to the practice field until March when it was time to transition from x-step to 3-step with 6-speeds and the Rhythm. Reading your posts on the Fission, I'm wondering would I still see the S curve, and maybe stretch out the distance. I'll have to pick one up.

Relay another favorite, I can now turn flip using the 3-step to hit gaps or adjust for an ending fade or back off using the x-step to draw it in. The one week working on whipping it with the Rhythm picked up some distance keeping up with the Rhythm, and more height. When I finished solving the Mamba/Orbital experiment, I'll spend at least another week on the pair, before I work on whipping the Motion/Volt those are my favorite overstables.

Question have you putted using a Proton plastic C1 and C2, it seems they could work better with the wind as in stable. What about approaches, and which discs. It could be my next experiment when the wind picks back up in the fall. Happy with my Plasma Nomad I've had for more than a month but seems too flippy for the wind. If all else fails, I already know I can putt up to 25 mph with the Plasma Envy and Plasma Entropy. I would like to keep those focused-on approaches and have that dedicated putter even if its the Nomad for calmer wind, and something else for heavier wind.

Rhythm is a nice long S curve, fun to watch it fly thru trees, more fun with some height. I'm LHBH like you, mostly finishes left of target fading back in. It's my favorite disc to throw, reliable, need room for it and hard to find lines in heavier wooded courses. Bought it in January, loved it on a few practices throws on course, never took it to the practice field until March when it was time to transition from x-step to 3-step with 6-speeds and the Rhythm. Reading your posts on the Fission, I'm wondering would I still see the S curve, and maybe stretch out the distance. I'll have to pick one up.

Relay another favorite, I can now turn flip using the 3-step to hit gaps or adjust for an ending fade or back off using the x-step to draw it in. The one week working on whipping it with the Rhythm picked up some distance keeping up with the Rhythm, and more height. When I finished solving the Mamba/Orbital experiment, I'll spend at least another week on the pair, before I work on whipping the Motion/Volt those are my favorite overstables.

Question have you putted using a Proton plastic C1 and C2, it seems they could work better with the wind as in stable. What about approaches, and which discs. It could be my next experiment when the wind picks back up in the fall. Happy with my Plasma Nomad I've had for more than a month but seems too flippy for the wind. If all else fails, I already know I can putt up to 25 mph with the Plasma Envy and Plasma Entropy. I would like to keep those focused-on approaches and have that dedicated putter even if its the Nomad for calmer wind, and something else for heavier wind.

Hey cool man.. Go Lefty!!!

(There's a couple of us that still shout it at each other as a battle cry.. )

You've got more jam than me, me knees taken a beating lately and I'm... well... I'm actually holding distance :) hmmm hadn't thought about that... I'm not up to potential but I'm still further than before getting form advice :D ha yay me, that made my day thanks.

Yeah the rhythm kind of wanders but not for me, I know it can. I find it really responsive and just a real woods carver. So funny how that's different but when I had a little more power the relay was excellent. Now it feels a little sluggish and I like the extra 25+ ft the rhythm can give me. Almost all my relays are 165/167g. Rhythms, I have EVERYTHING. I've basically swapped 165g relays for 171g rhythms.

The fission 160g rhythm goes places like an insanity or roadrunner. I've experienced roller potential with it, also some interesting hyzer flip action and more anhyzer wander. 0.5 extra -on turn and + glide.

Motion and volt are nice, I've got a few 155 motions for the winter.

I have some proton envy's, all early run and relatively seasoned, I'd argue that they are the straightest envy once they beat in. I don't get much extra stability with them. They season in to a frickin laser just a real true flight. I'd throw them more but i dont like proton in the winter, too hard.

My new otb proton soft envy is already "well broken in" ootb. Its been a fun ride and i enjoy it a lot on the nightly round..it's weird and almost glitch like, I'm hitting putts but left. I like the plasmas for stable, I think my 167s fade more than a full weight while maintaining a touch of extra height. I always like the ones that throw well (less hss) and putt stable.

Current favorites are 167g neutron envys and a 172g proto glow kinda soft from the gyro box, fallback are the 167 pp plasmas.

Last edited:
I did a local tournament and played 8 rounds on saturday. Prior to this I was doing a lot of work on the bag trying to figure it out and I think I decided to drop 8 speeds a few weeks before the tournament. I like the feel of the 9-speed wing especially for control distance. I like the feel of the 6.5/7 speed stuff for fairway. So I rolled with the fireball, wrath, insanity, rhythm, and ascend for my fairway/control drivers.

The Wrath grew on me as the day went on, that is definitely sticking around. Insanity is goated and always in the bag. I carried a 171 neutron rhythm and a 173 fission rhythm. I really love the combo here. The neutron is flat topped, minor turn and little fade...just very straight. The fission is definitely -2 1 out of the box and has some dome to it. The ascend is a disc I don't throw much but super fun to have it when I need it. Just effortless hyzer flip with pretty decent glide. I would expect when my fission rhythm gets beat in to similar levels of flippiness the ascend will come out of the bag.

As MikeC was saying above, I can absolutely see myself using a glow proxy and SN proxy. I picked up a glow proxy because the 8-round thing started at 5am. I ended up giving it to my buddy to use because I already had a glow envy and they were doing the same thing.

Hey cool man.. Go Lefty!!!

(There's a couple of us that still shout it at each other as a battle cry.. )

You've got more jam than me, me knees taken a beating lately and I'm... well... I'm actually holding distance :) hmmm hadn't thought about that... I'm not up to potential but I'm still further than before getting form advice :D ha yay me, that made my day thanks.

Yeah the rhythm kind of wanders but not for me, I know it can. I find it really responsive and just a real woods carver. So funny how that's different but when I had a little more power the relay was excellent. Now it feels a little sluggish and I like the extra 25+ ft the rhythm can give me. Almost all my relays are 165/167g. Rhythms, I have EVERYTHING. I've basically swapped 165g relays for 171g rhythms.

The fission 160g rhythm goes places like an insanity or roadrunner. I've experienced roller potential with it, also some interesting hyzer flip action and more anhyzer wander. 0.5 extra -on turn and + glide.

Motion and volt are nice, I've got a few 155 motions for the winter.

I have some proton envy's, all early run and relatively seasoned, I'd argue that they are the straightest envy once they beat in. I don't get much extra stability with them. They season in to a frickin laser just a real true flight. I'd throw them more but i dont like proton in the winter, too hard.

My new otb proton soft envy is already "well broken in" ootb. Its been a fun ride and i enjoy it a lot on the nightly round..it's weird and almost glitch like, I'm hitting putts but left. I like the plasmas for stable, I think my 167s fade more than a full weight while maintaining a touch of extra height. I always like the ones that throw well (less hss) and putt stable.

Current favorites are 167g neutron envys and a 172g proto glow kinda soft from the gyro box, fallback are the 167 pp plasmas.

Well, with your advice on the Proton Envy I went looking around on disc store sites for user comments, and there pretty much 5.0 with positive comments on putting. So, I thought perhaps within a few weeks I'll order one having never seen them in the local PIAS. But, what do you know I looked on Amazon's Prime Day Sale today and they knocked off three dollars from Proton Envy's, with the free shipping it will arrive here tomorrow. Already boxed the Nomad despite knocking down a few C2's yesterday, boxing it will make me focus on the Proton, the Nomad won't stay there long. I'll work the Proton as a second putter to my Plasma Envy, and will be the best comparison. I'll also do a comparison on approaches and jump putts. Also having a Plasma and Eclipse where good things have happened, it makes since to add a Proton. Now the mystery, what color and weight 170-175g.

I'll wait awhile to see if the Fission Rhythm shows up at PIAS, I would think so. If not, I'll order one, would like to see if the distance could be stretched out.

So far, you've steered me good, last fall I asked for a good heavy wind disc you advised Mayhem, a great headwind disc! I asked what putter resembles a Pig, the Entropy far better than the Pig. Time for three in a row, the pressure is on you!:thmbup:

Last edited:
Amazon is now having there 2-day Prime Day Deal ending tomorrow night. I picked up a Proton Envy saving three dollars, there's also the free shipping. It was the only Prime Sale disc I saw offered, I did see other discs listed at lower prices than what I'm used to seeing.

If your looking for a backyard basket, the MVP Black Hole Pro 24-chain portable basket is also on Prime Day Deal at $119, compared to the normal $149.

Just got mine and couple throws on the field, pink 172g stock neutron, flywise it's between my Glitch and soft neutron Proxy, flies far.

dare I say its the Comet of putters :popcorn:

Dropped the Proxy for now, Watt is so **** neutral disc. And it was in top 3 favourite discs of my bag too :\

Latest posts