• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Ion?

zenbot

*Super Moderator*
Staff member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
Premium Member
Anybody thrown one of these?

Marshall Street seyz:

-9141949184792952575_1.jpg

A brand new unique putter has hit the market from the company MVP Disc Sports. This putter is made by using a two stage injection molding process, so this putter actually has two pieces molded together. This sets up to be a potentially great idea for the ION, because MVP will be able to change the flexibility of the putter with the blue part (Proton Plastic), while keeping the same grippy, red "overmold" that wraps around the edge (Electron Plastic) for whatever flexibility they decide to go with in the future. Kudos! Since most of the weight is on the edge, flight is understable/straight, depending on how much you put on it. Try one out and support new disc golf companies for their hard work!

It looks like ****e. All I'm saying. If you buy that you probably get a pack of chewing gum, the kind that comes with baseball cards.

Awesome

Currently, we are only using one type of plastic for the Ion. The plastic we are using is Polyurethane, which is widely known as an extremely durable plastic used for golf discs. This is comparable/same to Innova Champion, Discraft Z, etc. But, we have available to us, a vast variety of flexibilities of polyurethane. We have prototyped some cores that are very stiff, and some even flexible enough to literally roll up like a pancake. These were just a tiny batch of prototypes, but we plan to run a variety of these to suit all needs of different firmnesses. The one beautiful thing about the polyurethane we have available to us, is that it comes as straight polyurethane to our factory. All we have to do is just order what flexibility polyurethane and presto, we have our exact flexibility we want. There is no blending, no mixing, no guesswork, there is no variances between runs. CONSISTENT. We have yet to come up with a name for this plastic at this time. We will also create a flexibility scale that matches our exact orders of polyurethane so you will get your EXACT preferred flexibility to your likings EVERY time.

I am starting to get to where I want something that would give best of a Banger-GT and a Blowfly so I only carry one, and this actually sounds kind of cool.

It's a great disc. It is my main up shot/jump putt/ turn over driving putter now. I can't really throw it farther than 200' without it maybe turning and burning but it will hold any line I put it on under 200'. You have to throw it like a comet though, slow arm speed and lots of snap.

What if it becomes the new BEST putter ever, and everyone buys like 5 of em!? Well, i don't see that happening...

If you wanted an E or HPP magic that throws like an S magic, the Ion is the disc for you.

I can not stress enough though that this disc takes some clean form to throw farther than long up shots.

It looks like ****e. All I'm saying. If you buy that you probably get a pack of chewing gum, the kind that comes with baseball cards.

I'm officially announcing that I'm eating crow on this one. I got a peach 2nd run Ion, 174, and it is immaculate. I hate driving putters but this thing is a blast to throw. I got it in tandem with a Z Comet to clean up my form and it does take some clean snap to get it flying but it's not that touchy at all. The rim takes a little to get used to but when I got it comfy in my hands it snaps out nice and clean. I actually had a guy come ask me, "What was that disc with the black ring you were throwing?" I've never impressed a random stranger with a disc before, this Ion was making me look good. So, yeah. Great muthaf'n disc.:thmbup:

I'm officially announcing that I'm eating crow on this one. I got a peach 2nd run Ion, 174, and it is immaculate. I hate driving putters but this thing is a blast to throw. I got it in tandem with a Z Comet to clean up my form and it does take some clean snap to get it flying but it's not that touchy at all. The rim takes a little to get used to but when I got it comfy in my hands it snaps out nice and clean. I actually had a guy come ask me, "What was that disc with the black ring you were throwing?" I've never impressed a random stranger with a disc before, this Ion was making me look good. So, yeah. Great muthaf'n disc.:thmbup:

Dave, post a few pictures with it, umm, in your hand? couple angles?

Dave, post a few pictures with it, umm, in your hand? couple angles?

Since you asked nicely or at least not abusively.

ionv.jpg

iongrip.jpg

It's very similar to a VooDoo except the inner rim is a more sloped, concave feeling. You really have to curl those fingers under there and slant them to get it comfy into the meat of your palm.

I've been throwing the heavy Ions for a couples of weeks now and I honestly think they are the best putter drivers I've ever thrown. Everyone I've let throw them has been impressed with the feel and the flight. They hold their angle of release really well and absorb shock on impacts. The Ion kicks off of objects the least of any disc I've thrown. I'm even putting with mine and so far I really like the action they get on the chains. That rubber "bumper" really seems to stick in chains. You can see the disc stop spinning as soon as it gets in there. I was putting with organic SS Voodoos. Compared to those the Ion doesn't fly quite as well on a touch putt, but if I give it a little it goes farther and flies easier than the Voodoo. It also has a little more LSS so is a better on a slight hyzer putt than the Voodoo.

It does do some funny things when it hits the chains. Very violent looking but then it just falls down, almost like the chains tazed the disc.

Latest posts