• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Proton Volt

My bad not trying to be a dick. The P volt for me flies more like a fresh champion plastic orc. It's what my friend would call an aggressive disc. If you release it hard it will go straight without turning over and then fade out a bit more than a N volt would.

No worries man.

an Orc you say? So that would be actually a tick more overstable than the Neutron then. I've noticed if I throw my Neutron Volt with a bit of hyzer it has that Orc flight path.If I throw it Straight it's goes lazer straight.

Timed out. I failed to mention I throw a Neutron Volt and love it for Teebirdish shots.

I read the thing about a Proton Volt being understable the other day somewhere.

Things are cleared up now, so I'll just stick with my Neutron. lol

Well.. The Proton Volt could be understable for weaker arms I suppose.. My father isn't the best disc golfer but he isn't bad.. Not great form or anything but every disc seems to go right.. The Neutron Volt to him acts like a Neutron Amp to me. So it's different within each person's hand.

Hard to say that person was wrong..

But yeah N Volt for Teebird shots.. BINGO!

Well.. The Proton Volt could be understable for weaker arms I suppose.. BINGO!

No. Crazy OAT wrist-rollin' making it go right maybe, but the Proton Volt is not understable by any definition.

No. Crazy OAT wrist-rollin' making it go right maybe, but the Proton Volt is not understable by any definition.

Truth.

My N Volt is pretty beat, it tends to be a bit flippy for me, doesn't behave like a teebird at all.

The P Volt however is a lot more stable. Pairing it with my N volt, the volt mold handles 90% of my driving. Since I got the p Volt I haven't thrown my teebird much at all, though its still in my bag.

True. Still, for some people it's understable. It's not meant to be but not everyone who picks it up is going to get a perfect release and watch it fly as labeled.

True. Still, for some people it's understable. It's not meant to be but not everyone who picks it up is going to get a perfect release and watch it fly as labeled.

that does not make the disc understable though.

A persons throw does not change the stability of a disc-- its his throw which is manipulating the flight to not appear true to the discs' design. Just like releasing a US mold, early and with hyzer does not make it overstable even though it won't turn and fades hard.

REVIVING THIS THREAD!!!

Loving my Proton Volt. But I have found it to be much more overstable than my Neutron Volt. My N Volt is not super-beat either. All my N Volts have flown like longer Eagles for me...some turn, with a strong, forward-penetrating fade. My P Volt is most assuredly OS.

So OS in fact, that it has replaced my Shock. Any other normal-armed people out there having this same experience?

REVIVING THIS THREAD!!!

Loving my Proton Volt. But I have found it to be much more overstable than my Neutron Volt. My N Volt is not super-beat either. All my N Volts have flown like longer Eagles for me...some turn, with a strong, forward-penetrating fade. My P Volt is most assuredly OS.

So OS in fact, that it has replaced my Shock. Any other normal-armed people out there having this same experience?

Yup. my P volt replaced my shock. Seems I can control the P volt's fade more than I can the shock. As far as drivers go, I carry an amp, N volt, P volt, and a XXX.

Yup. my P volt replaced my shock. Seems I can control the P volt's fade more than I can the shock. As far as drivers go, I carry an amp, N volt, P volt, and a XXX.

I've been considering dropping the Shock and using the Proton Volt in it's place.

I have not tried it into huge headwinds yet...has anyone used the P Volt into big headwinds?

If it would cover that spot, the shock will get dropped. However the Shock does get better skips than the Volt. Sometimes that's what I need.

The P Volt eats headwinds for breakfast. It reminds me of my seasoned FR CFR champ PD in this regard. Into the strongest headwind I've thrown them they flew pretty much like a N Volt would without wind. They definitely want to go straight.

The Shock has a different flight (even my seasoned one) than the Volts and is more consistent on hyzers for me (Volt holds out sometimes and fades too late or forward).

For me, the proton volt doesn't come close to replacing my shocks. It certainly fights winds better than its neutron counterpart, and is an effective disc into strong headwinds...but it will never be as wind-fighting as a nice shock. If you need a hyzer finish into the wind, grab a shock.

Plus as others have mentioned, shocks are AMAZING for low, hard skip shots.

I've been considering dropping the Shock and using the Proton Volt in it's place.

I have not tried it into huge headwinds yet...has anyone used the P Volt into big headwinds?

If it would cover that spot, the shock will get dropped. However the Shock does get better skips than the Volt. Sometimes that's what I need.

It honestly just depends on how strong your arm is. If you have a good arm, keep the shock. My max weight orange has seen trees, concrete, even metal and still doesn't even think about turning in a strong headwind. It is one beast of a disc. The proton volt I like to think of as a longer shock without as heavy of a fade, but a little heavier fade and more straight than my neutron volt, that makes any sense at all.

It honestly just depends on how strong your arm is. If you have a good arm, keep the shock. My max weight orange has seen trees, concrete, even metal and still doesn't even think about turning in a strong headwind. It is one beast of a disc. The proton volt I like to think of as a longer shock without as heavy of a fade, but a little heavier fade and more straight than my neutron volt, that makes any sense at all.

That actually does make sense. Yeah, if I beat the P Volt up, it won't fill that OS role.

I consider myself "normal armed" (I throw MVP fairway drivers 300-330 feet on the course).

For me, the shock is slightly less HSS, but fades more than the Proton Volt. That is, the Shock is more "L" shaped when thrown flat.

My proton volt (which is only a week old) starts fading very early, but doesn't fade quite as hard at the end of it's flight (it's more "C" shaped when thrown flat).

If I were trying to build a smaller bag (8 or less discs), there wouldn't be room for both.

REVIVING THIS THREAD!!!

I throw my N Volts about 300-320ft and I agree, the P Volt is very similar to the N Shock. The P Volt is a bit less dramatic with its fade at the end, but I wouldn't have room for both.

p volts complete my control drivers. i roll saint fury p volt and have everything covered. i also carry a trident so if the wind is super crazy i have it covered. the p volt can handle a ton of wind and remain true. i love watching that thing fly.

I can see why some would drop the shock, but when i need more dump at the end and a harder fade the shock is always more useful, and it is more wind resistant than the p-volt, it will NEVER turn into wind for me. The fresh p-volt turns into strong headwinds.

One of my P-Volts has gotten beat quickly because i trashed the crap out of it for a few days and its flying VERY straight, slight turn and forward fade JUST like my N-Volt.. it just starts out a little more stable and beats in to be just like a fresh N-Volt guys.. its the same disc guys they just gave us a little more stability on the front end so it will beat into a fresh N-Volt and stay that way for a loooong time.. they did a great job on this one. The p-volt is still just a bit more HSS though

Just go into your basement and throw the p-volt as hard as you can into a stone wall about 20-30 times and you will see what im talking about.. it will fly like a fresh N-Volt in no time and it will stay like that.

Last edited:
The fresh p-volt turns into strong headwinds

It has some slight high speed turn into strong winds, but if you flip it into a headwind you are throwing it wrong.

Just go into your basement and throw the p-volt as hard as you can into a stone wall about 20-30 times and you will see what im talking about.. it will fly like a fresh N-Volt in no time and it will stay like that.

I think I'll just stick to my fresh N Volts...