• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Resistor

I'm going to fail to resist buying the first run of this, cuz its on sale at my favorite online vendor with a Haloween stamp ;)

Already excited to throw my disc nation Resistor. For current throwers, will a resistor overlap with my rivals or will it prove to be a nice OS partner?

i throw and love rivals. right now i'm using 168-170g first run pinnacles. i throw them for tight fairways because if i put enough on them, there is no fade. :) they are definitely more line holders than line shapers.

i used to have a hard as a rock pinnacle rival at 175g. that thing would not turn over no matter how hard i tried to throw it.

you'll find variation, but i feel most rivals are somewhere in between the two. the resistor will, in all likelihood, have a certain spot in your bag without too much overlap depending on how far you throw.

i throw and love rivals. right now i'm using 168-170g first run pinnacles. i throw them for tight fairways because if i put enough on them, there is no fade. :) they are definitely more line holders than line shapers.

i used to have a hard as a rock pinnacle rival at 175g. that thing would not turn over no matter how hard i tried to throw it.

you'll find variation, but i feel most rivals are somewhere in between the two. the resistor will, in all likelihood, have a certain spot in your bag without too much overlap depending on how far you throw.

Sweeet. I throw rivals around 350-375 max. My icon have a little turn and a mild fade. My sparkle has a touch of turn/no turn with a heartier fade. Neither hold up too well in a headwind though so I think the resistor will settle in nicely in that OS slot.

Sweeet. I throw rivals around 350-375 max. My icon have a little turn and a mild fade. My sparkle has a touch of turn/no turn with a heartier fade. Neither hold up too well in a headwind though so I think the resistor will settle in nicely in that OS slot.

i would agree. my max with my pinnacle is about 360, so i'd say you're good to go.

MVP discs will beat, dent, scratch, scuff...to get the thread back on track, the Resistor that I got one week ago and tested over the weekend, is now a solid 8/10 and that's with no ink...but will fly the same possibly forever. I don't know anyone, not even MikeC, in4d or discspeed, who have actually beat in an MVP disc past the point of the 'sweet spot' much less it being uselessly flippy.

I've actually wrenched on some MVP discs super hard, doing anything I could do with my own two hands to bend and break them in. I've got them pretty flippy in the moment, but a few days in the car or the bag and they are back in the sweet spot. A good example is my red Amp. It was one of my original testers, and still is the most understable Amp I've thrown out of the box. I have folded the disc in half hundreds of times all the way around the rim. The disc is maybe 8/10 of it's brand new stability. My FR Vector is also beat and has a history of being abused unnaturally, and it flies like a slightly overstable Tangent. I've wondered how this strange durability is affected by the two piece construction. Perhaps the core is protected and keeps perfect memory while the rim takes all the abuse?

Yeah its almost impossible to modify an MVP dome permanently. I still cant get over my vector which i accidently turned into a cereal bowl and the flight plate literally would pop up and down but lasted for all of 12hours. Same with the soft neutron ions which realllllllly want to hold their original shape but yet are still soft not floppy

I just dont want people getting the impression that durablity means they wont get beat up. They will. But they hold their flight charestics for a very long time, even if the disc looks like straight ****.

I did it in the MVP thread but I'll do it again here. This Volt is around seven months old. No purposeful abuse, just regular playing. (I do use my Volt a lot)
1377038_10202091581953381_500220055_n.jpg

1380354_10202091581513370_1912994527_n.jpg

1392953_10202091580513345_702847644_n.jpg

None of mine have that kind of scraping though you rough on em mannn... lol I throw that volt all day but its never gotten scuffs like yours sand that thing already

I have had my orange volt in my bag since release and nothing close to that much damage on it.

Just depends on where you play and how you take care of your discs i think.

I cant even imagine how i would get that much damage on any of my MVP.

Do you play courses that are near roads and other "disc hazards"?

Some roads but I never hit them. Trees, thats about it. And I "take care of my discs" just fine, thank you very much. The big ding is from a tree, the rest is just normal wear and tear.

yeah the gouges in mine are from some odd hits off stuff like the BASKET :D

i wouldn't call that "normal wear" but obviously its there. I have only had long rough scraps happen to discs when skipping off rough pavement or cement.

Last edited:
Or did I just get some freaky-deaky Resistor that is way more OS than everyone elses? Because like I said, I had a lot of people throw this disc this weekend including players better than I and we were getting the same flight paths.
I think this might be the case, especially when you compare it to a XXX. After reading some of your comments I grabbed all my OS drivers and went to a field. I compared the Resistor to: 2013 Ace Race, GL XXX and an MVP Shock, all of which are fairly new and in decent shape. I also tossed in a 150 class Flick and my year old somewhat beat Firebird. First off, I'm going to eliminate the Ace Race disc from this comparison, it's just not OS enough to compare to the others. Of the 5 remaining contenders, the Resistor was squarely in the middle in terms of both distance and fade. The XXX was the shortest and furthest left, followed by the Flick, Resistor, Shock and Firebird. It was pretty cool to see how after a few throws the discs average position formed a fairly consistent diagonal line. Sometimes one disc or another would be out of order, but for the most part the Shock or Bird were the longest and straightest, and the XXX was always shorter and further left. With every set of tosses, I'd throw backhand out, and thumber back. Throwing thumber, the Resistor is a star. Still not as long as my Firebird (which is my thumber disc) but in the ballpark every time. It's far and away the best MVP disc for throwing overhead that I've ever tossed. My forehand game is a work in progress, but I love how easy the Resistor is to use on those shots as well.

Finally after all that warmup I played 18 holes on a pitch and putt(longest hole is 280'), using the Resistor as my primary driver. My conclusion from that is that it is NOT a great disc to power down. For me, powered down the disc dumps too soon and doesn't end up where I expect it to. On the other hand, tossed BH or FH at full speed the disc shaped useful golf lines better than most OS discs I've thrown. Now, I'm not trying to go at MikeC or any of the other guys who say it's a good disc to power down. The difference is that when they take something off their throw they're probably still getting more distance than I can cranking my longest driver (350' out of a Volt or DX Teebird on a good day). So it's not that the disc can't be powered down, it's that lower power arms may not have the success. For me I'd rather take something off a Tensor or hyzer a VP to hit the kind of shots I'd use a powered down Resistor for.

Overall it's a nice disc. I need to use it more before I finalize my opinion on it but I do like the fact that it's almost as good a thumber disc as my Firebird, and a better sidearm disc. On that basis alone it may finally be the disc that kicks the 'Bird out of the OS utility slot in my bag, although that will depend on how it seasons obviously.

Last edited:
yeah the gouges in mine are from some odd hits off stuff like the BASKET :D

i wouldn't call that "normal wear" but obviously its there. I have only had long rough scraps happen to discs when skipping off rough pavement or cement.

Yeah but skipping it off pavement or rocks usually chews up the bottom of the rim. Thats probably the part of my Volt that is in the best shape, all things considered. There is one pretty rough spot that I think happened when I went OB water (rocks at the bottom of the creek, maybe) but i just dont grip there.

Point being: find any other company, beat a disc up like my Volt is and tell me it isnt a flippy piece of crap. My Volt, in that kind of shape, still flies like a Volt should. My vote is still something regarding gyro tech but I have no clue.

P.S. i never sand my discs. I aint no dry spitter!