• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Tesla

i want to hear more about these.

as i build my bag from the bottom up, right now i've got teebird/patriot as my fairway combo. going to throw a xxx or a FB/predator for overstable/utility role. the teebird and patriot sitting at 1.7 and 1.8 cm respectively are both very long for being fairway drivers. i'd like something a little faster than the PD at 1.9 but not quite as fast as a wraith at 2.1, so here we sit.

this seems to have been a rather underwhelming release for a lot of people; how are your tesla performing?

or should i just get a wraith.

I do like the tesla. However, I either need to get a lighter one (mine is 175g) or develop some more arm speed to take more advantage of its flight. I get some of the stalling out, that I am sure you have read about on here. But, I do not think this is a fault with the disc, as stated above. I think the "underwhelming" you speak of, is more just disappointment, that the inertia and tesla are so widely spaced in the chart. I think people were expecting different discs, when these two were released. Also, watching mikeC throw the tesla may have misled people into thinking this disc has more turn than it does.

Btw. This disc is great for forehand utility shots. I would also expect for people who can throw a FH better than me, that it would great for driving.

Last edited:
Tesla is the disc a wraith dreams it was.

I threw (the good wraiths) when I started playing DG well (not just starting out) and can say there is nothing more frustrating than losing your go-to wraith and trying to replace it. Tesla can handle a lot of power IMO compared to a wraith which will really start to turn more than its design suggests. Tesla is a control driver more than it is a distance driver too which might be the biggest difference IMO between it and a disc like the wraith (speed). I will take the added control of a tesla all day.

The few throws I had with the tesla were nothing short of underwhelming...I wanted to like this disc and it simply did not offer anything I couldn't get anywhere else. It had rather lackluster glide with a "normal" flight path. It was neither OS nor US and to me it seemed like it was laboring through the air. I dreamed MVP PD and ended up with an MVP wraith...not that exciting or new.

I love MVP but I'm one of the underwhelmed ones.

It doesn't have the distance that my Wraith has. And if I want a longer control driver I'll use my Volt or heavy amp. So, I'm not sure where it fits.

I'm going to keep throwing it to see if it improves. The things I like about the Tesla are the name, the feel, and a great forward fade.

I may try one in a lower weight and see what that does. I don't have a huge arm but I can throw my wraith 330-360 pretty regular.

After taking the 155g Tesla out to the course for some throws, I think its a great bridge between my 165g Tesla and 175g Inertia. I normally don't throw discs this light but I really like the flight of this particular Tesla. It has so much glide. I'm going to try and catch a nice tailwind while I'm out today and see how far I can rip it on some distance lines.

I find my light weight LE acts the same. Less turn than a max weight inertia, way more control in windy conditions but just wants to keep flying forward compared to the max weight stock stamp. The LSS comes in late and the transition is very slow giving it a little extra D for me while being able to mash on it harder than the inertia with confidence.

Exactly what I'm experiencing. They push forward for a long time before fading out. I may try to get a few of these for max D field work.

:thmbup: If you don't like your tesla I would bet you need to throw a lighter one.

In all honestly after playing collegiate nationals in the wind and with treacherous greens I have almost unbagged all MVP. I had more LOOONNNGGGG roll aways with MVP discs than I have ever had and they acted very wonky in the wind. I don't see myself going MVP again in the near future.

I finally bought a 161g LE Tesla that I've been itching to throw. Hopefully it'll be much easier to handle than the heavy tester I got.

BTW, that disc looks even better in person. I'm kind of sad I'm gonna throw it and scuff it up.

weird.. played at a wide open rolling hills course with some good wind and 2 bags stuffed full of MVP without a single wonky flight or roll away. It has nothing to do with the discs. All round things roll and flying objects get messed in wind. Generally its good practice to be throwing your putts/up shots with the same angle as the ground you try to land on so the disc has no choice but to land flat. Missing a putt off the basket and getting a roll away is just part of the game.

Sure, I can roll the hell out of my inertia or volts but they don't magically stand up and do the work for me.

I finally bought a 161g LE Tesla that I've been itching to throw. Hopefully it'll be much easier to handle than the heavy tester I got.

BTW, that disc looks even better in person. I'm kind of sad I'm gonna throw it and scuff it up.

I think you will be pleasantly surprised. Specially at your power level I think a 150-160 is really the right choice b/c it does take some good snap to get up to speed or exhibit the nice forward fade/glide at max weight.

You can really see the difference in MikeC's video too which I think people forget his shots are likely going almost 100' further than theirs (even if they think they throw the tesla 400' lol)

It doesn't have the distance because it doesn't glide like 'traditional' discs do, MVP discs drop faster and require more speed/snap.

Not necessarily a bad thing, just means that you sacrifice a bit of distance for better range ability and a bit more wind resistance.

I have only been using MVP for certain niche shots lately

"glide" isn't really a desirable trait anyways. Lids glide like hell but no one uses them because of it. Crave is one of the more glide happy MVP discs and threw me off at first compared to amp/volt style flight I was used to. You know when you throw a MVP disc well though b/c how it does glide and stay on a line, like 4eva!

I've never had any problems with my MVP stuff in the wind any more than any other discs. Same with roll aways.

Some MVP discs to me feel tight and don't have as much glide while other have great glide. My Vector, Axis, Volt, Amp, and Inertia has great glide. My Shock, Alias, Servo, Switch and Tesla do not.

I've wondered if it has something to do with tweaking their process since it seems most of the newer stuff to me feels like it has less glide. The older stuff doesn't feel as soft and nice in the hand but has better glide. Just anecdotal evidence.

AIM is right on that it's a different type of glide than other discs. More control.

weird.. played at a wide open rolling hills course with some good wind and 2 bags stuffed full of MVP without a single wonky flight or roll away. It has nothing to do with the discs. All round things roll and flying objects get messed in wind. Generally its good practice to be throwing your putts/up shots with the same angle as the ground you try to land on so the disc has no choice but to land flat. Missing a putt off the basket and getting a roll away is just part of the game.

Sure, I can roll the hell out of my inertia or volts but they don't magically stand up and do the work for me.

When I speak of roll aways I'm talking on the fact that once they do start to roll they don't seem to want to stop near as fast as a non OM disc.

I guess what I'm looking for in a disc is the ability to not have to crush on my gstar or dx teebird or patriot to hit 400'. Yet still fit nicely underneath my force lineup. If this disc needs quite a bit of power to hit 400 like my forces do without fading too early then it is probably not what I'm looking for. a hint of turn would be nice.

I don't think the Tesla has been a disappointment at all, actually. My experience, as others have stated, is that you need to have a nice snap and spin on the discs to really get them to perform. That being said, I think may people looked at a disc like the Tesla and thought "I'll get max weight cause that's what I throw" and then were surprised when the disc showed more stability than they expected in a 175g. Even MikeC has stated his max weights show no turn.

That isn't a disc issue though, but IS the whole basis for offering the same mold in multiple weights. The 155 to 175g range of these DD's can give the same player quite a different range of lines within the overall flight pattern of the same mold. Lighter weight can help you get the snap and then give you better performance.

Now, I do think there is and should be a mold or two between the Inertia and Tesla in terms of stability. Everyone thought the Bros were a little nutty at first to release the Crave in between the Servo and Switch, but look at what a wonderful disc that turned out to be. So, once again, individual expectations come into play. Maybe that's the disc some people really want, but often times going lighter on the more stable mold can give you some crossover into the higher weights of a slightly less stable neighboring mold.

One thing I appreciate about the MVP discs tho is the consistency, and as a result, it has been much easier to test different weights of the same mold to find out which works best in my experience than it has been with other manufacturers due to all the variations in run and plastics of those other guys.

So, I'd say, if the Tesla you have in your hand isn't right for you, it might not be the mold so much as the weight. Across the board, I find myself throwing lighter weight MVP discs when compared to similar performing molds of other brands because that's what works best for me. See if someone has a lighter or heavier one that they will trade or let you borrow and give it another shake. A 7g difference in the disc might just be the difference between you writing it off and parking your drives.

Just something to consider...

Latest posts