• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Tesla

Having more experience with a wide variety of discs has nothing to do with challenging anyone but yourself to understand how discs fly, which it is even more apparent now that you obviously don't-- so ill leave it at that.

:wall:
Tesla has the most forward distance potential; Inertia may cover more ground but some of its distance is lost to lateral movement. In a pure distance competition I think Inertia could beat it, but not with a golf shot... with a very high flip into a turn with enough height to fade back.
Its really easy to understand just one simple comparison and manufactures chart.

Last edited:
I'm impressed that you can extrapolate all of this information from my comment that flight charts are mostly useless. That is truly some CSI level ****.

More distance potential for who? Paul, Mcbeth? Barsby? Jesus? Joe Bishop?

People throw out descriptors like "most distance potential" and "straightest flight" all the time on these boards as if there is some sort of standard being used. I was just pointing out that phrases like that don't mean anything.

guys but what am i supposed to do? i have a stack of volts, but ill never break in a tesla if i don't throw it. i wish they came out with speed 12 jawns instead. this **** keeps me up at night.

My arm is sore from throw AT my Tesla. It got grabbed really good by a big pine tree and I spent most of the morning throwing crap at it. I dislodged it twice, and twice it got stuck even worse. I finally had to go home and get my dog's weighted tennis ball...That thing is money, worked on the first throw. That ball just secured a spot in my bag.

I carry a baseball, and have seen retracting tape measures work wonders.

Forum fights are funny. Thought disc golfers were more chill braw. Throw what you dig and pass on what you don't. Flight charts are so general, just to give you an idea of what it may do for you. Throwing it is the only way to know if its gonna work for you. Seems absurd to be upset at all the choices we have to throw. I don't really care if a disc flies as a chart suggests, if I find a use for it and its worth carrying around I will, if not someone else will want it... Except my Birdie, nobody wants that damn thing.

TRON style right hand turn

- To model bad form, you'd need to exaggerate the fading portions (for nose-up bad form) or the turning portion (for torquey bad form) with appropriate cuts to distance.

sorry for the supershort answers, got things in the oven.

OK, sometimes when I flick my Tesla, it will fly fast and lazer straight for about 225 or so feet. At that point it does a TRON style right turn(yeah, yeah, I exaggerate) and flies for another 80 to 100 feet in the new vector(direction and speed, not the disc).
I have been trying to figure out what was causing this. I am not throwing it into the sky, it is flying pretty level forward, maybe even a slight bit downward(this usually happen on a downhill fairway).

Could I be throwing the disc downward with a nose up angle? Would that cause this type behavior?

It is a disc that is designed to fade pretty hard at the end. Have you tried it on more of a gentle anhyzer, flex line or into a headwind Wolf?

All of those things will reduce the dump. Also just more power but I'm guessing you were talking about close to max power shot. Tailwinds, left to right winds, or a combination of the two would also contribute to the type of flight you describe. That flight you describe does somewhat resemble the second or third power leval on the tesla flight chart Zam posted on the he last page, so it sounds like whether it was wind, or how you were throwing it, the disc may have been flying a bit slow.

I'm just going to throw this out there, not so much from experience just with the Tesla, but most of the lineup(s).

I'm fairly inconsistent with my spin/release speed ratio. Any disc will fly differently when that ratio is monkeyed with, but IMO MVPAxiom discs can be more jeckell/hyde in this sense. It's what ultimately convinced me that there was somethin legit to the MVP/gyro model.

So throwers with more arm speed and less spin (relatively) are going to see fade at different points in flight compared with guys (and gals?) with less velocity and more spin/leverage/wrist action/whatever.

This is just my theory, and I ain't no aerospace engineer, but it makes sense to me.

So, maybe the Tesla throws that are dying @ 300ish ft arent' suffering from not getting up to speed, but from not getting up to RPM...?

:popcorn:

I hear where your coming from on the speed, spin distinction thing Toro but that difference has been argued around the block and I don't really care to differentiate. If I say speed I mean, power (which very well could be and problably is snap or spin) . While their may be a difference, it's hard enough to judge where I think it should just be lumped into power.

I agree that it's gotta be a pretty high-level skill to manipulate spin and velocity independent of each other.

I guess what I'm saying is these discs reward throwing smarter not harder, but then most do I suppose, so maybe I'm just barking.

These flight charts mean next to nothing. They can give you a super rough ballpark estimate, but there are so many variables in armspeed, rotation, release angle, followthrough, individual grip, etc. that I think it would be absurd for anyone to claim that one disc has more 'distance potential' than another (at least discs within the same speed range).

Don't fight the hypo.

I agree that it's gotta be a pretty high-level skill to manipulate spin and velocity independent of each other.

I guess what I'm saying is these discs reward throwing smarter not harder, but then most do I suppose, so maybe I'm just barking.

I agree with the base of what you are saying for sure. That MVP discs can have a different learning curve than other manufacturers.

Every once in a while, one of my MVP discs just drops like it encountered a vacuum. I always figured it was lack of spin on my part. I've only been fooling with an all MVP bag for maybe 4 rounds, so I still have some things to figure out.

It is a disc that is designed to fade pretty hard at the end. Have you tried it on more of a gentle anhyzer, flex line or into a headwind Wolf?

All of those things will reduce the dump. Also just more power but I'm guessing you were talking about close to max power shot. Tailwinds, left to right winds, or a combination of the two would also contribute to the type of flight you describe. That flight you describe does somewhat resemble the second or third power leval on the tesla flight chart Zam posted on the he last page, so it sounds like whether it was wind, or how you were throwing it, the disc may have been flying a bit slow.

My back hand is a 2nd to 3rd power level, this flight is not even close. I did not think about a wind coming in at about 7 or 8 o'clock position relative to the disc flight. I have seen disc traveling across this mini gorge transversely, instead of along it, get into some weird wind about 30 foot up when there was no ground wind. This is probably a good part of what is happening.

I just checked Google Earth and according to it, the disc is flying about 200 feet before it takes a sudden 80 degree turn. After the turn it flies 60 or so feet on the new vector as the fade starts kicking in. The total angle of the turn is over 90 degrees, total flight 265-ish. Some of this could be an optical illusion on distance, but not the line it takes.

I am still sure it has something to do with my form, but this does not happen on other holes.....well not this extreme at least. Weird.