• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

MVP Tri-Lite LED lights

Darkgreen

Birdie Member
Premium Member
Anyone here use the MVP Tri-Lite LED lights? What did you think of them?

I saw someone using some for the first time last night and they looked nice and bright compared to the regular single light flat LED lights that I usually use, which are the ones you can get at Disc Golf Center if you don't know what I'm talking about.

My biggest concern is that all that extra brightness is going to suck juice out of the battery faster than the regular LED flight lights. Anyone know how long these last or have a comparison?

I have the no-name 7 color ones, and I find that they are pretty easy to see on the blinking setting. The MVP ones look nice but they are 3-4 times more expensive. And, as you said, I'd be surprised if they didn't suck through those little watch batteries a bit faster.

Most LEDs operate between .5w and 1w using minimal current draw. Even on watch batteries these will last months with DG use. I work for an LED manufacturing company and used my own samples to create my disc LEDs at one time on perf board w/ an Allegra driver. Simple design from components I already had and I could use a C-Batt for a year.

LEDs on average use about 3-10% as much energy of any incandescent light bulb. (depending on efficiency) So, for example, a typical 50 light string of incandescent Christmas lights is expected to last one season (3-4 hours per day for 3 months) on 2x AAA batteries, LED strings last about 10x that. Three LEDs off from a single watch battery will last a very long time.

I have the no-name 7 color ones, and I find that they are pretty easy to see on the blinking setting. The MVP ones look nice but they are 3-4 times more expensive. And, as you said, I'd be surprised if they didn't suck through those little watch batteries a bit faster.

I see the MVP ones on Amazon and another place 10 for $26. At Disc Golf Center the regular LED flight lights are $2 a piece. I wouldn't mind paying an extra $.6 per light for the extra brightness if the battery lasts the same for both.

Ah, I've only seen the MVP ones for $3-4 each. 10 for $26 isn't so bad. You can get the seven color ones for about $1 each, though.

Trying to learn the light game.

I ordered led lights from DD a couple of years ago.

I like them. They run on what appears to be a single watch battery. So I'm talking the language you guys talk what are these called?

And yeah I'm getting stoked about playing at night. Slowly putting a bag together. Lately, I've been getting home with just enough light to play. As we know this will be changing as we grow closer to winter solstice with loss of daylight.

Maybe we need to start a glow thread. I really want to put together a glow bag with all the right gadgets, etc. Certainly an old bird here but totally knew to the glow game.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. I didn't know MVP offered a 3led setup. I'm currently using the same thing with the single led option from dynamic discs. I typically tape 2 LEDs to each disc. Most of my batteries are tiring. I've had them for about 5 months now. Far superior to any glow disc I've seen. I was just about to order battery holders and solder them to the old single led setups but I think I will order the 3led setup and install the battery holder to them instead. Here's a link to the battery holder I speak of. To bad they don't come stock with one so you can change dead batteries out. They even sell a double cr2032 battery holder I've been torn between a single battery or dual batteries.

http://www.amazon.com/Pieces-Plasti...2530694&sr=8-6&keywords=Cr2032+battery+holder

I like them. They run on what appears to be a single watch battery. So I'm talking the language you guys talk what are these called?

I just call them disc lights, I'm not sure if there's a more official name for them. The generic LED lights are generally marketed for non-DG purposes as "flat LED accent lights" or something like that. If you can find them through a non-DG centric supplier they are generally cheaper. There are a few main varieties: there are single-color, two-color, seven-color, and then the MVP branded ones have three separate LEDs in the same size package. Most of them have a steady on mode and a blink mode.

I do all of my field work at night after work, so I found that something like this was pretty necessary. Glow discs just don't hold a charge and aren't very visible anyway. The lights that I'm using are open on the back so you can change the batteries straight out of the unit, I'm not sure if the other ones are like that.

Do all your field work at night? Wow, you must a have a good open field to throw in.

My throws at night are a little more wild. So I have to be real careful about disc selection.

Things I'm noticing about making my disc glow well. LED's all the way. Don't really see how glow plastic really helps that much compared to a light.

I'm finding that more clear discs let the light broadcast better if you decide to tape on bottom of disc.

Also, with the additional weight of the light(I know it might be mental) that I try to find discs a little lighter for attaching the light to.

I have some of the MVP 3 led lights. They are very bright. As for battery life I'm not sure yet, haven't had them long enough to say

I just received a set of MVP 3 led lights from Amazon. How do you turn them on? My other lights have an obvious on/off switch. These are covered by a heavy 2-sided tape and I can't tell where the switch is!

When I was using LEDs, I just bought some cheapo Chinese batteries from eBay and some LEDs from Radio Shack, put one lead on each side of the battery, and taped it to my disc.