• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

My back 9 SUCKS.

BIGHAFNER

Eagle Member
I have this issue of shooting pretty well on my front 9, or my case yesterday, front 10 (20 hole course) and shooting rather horribly on my back half. For example, I shot even through 9 yesterday (should've been -1 but i missed a stupid putt) and +6 through the last 11. I pared the last 3. I don't know why I do this, but it seems like I do it every time. Any ideas why? Has this happened to anyone else?

Play the same course, but start on the back 10 holes. Finish with the front 9. See if it's just a mental thing

If you carry 15+ discs and a couple of waters, your shoulder and back can get rather fatigued by the back 9. There are a couple guys in our club that you can bank on fading down the stretch every round b/c of that.

I just got a baby sport carriage to caddy my discs, and that is the best freaking money I ever spent on DG gear.

If you are drinking beer as you play then you will obviously lose some coordination by the time you play the back nine.

Pay close attention to your pace and rhythm, try to maintain a steady pace with frequent rest stops to recharge. Don't stop so long you get out of rhythm though.

Also it could be that the course has a tougher back nine? Try Johnny Depth's advice.

It's very hard to stay mentally sharp through 18 holes. It could be that you're just losing focus. Once you pass the midpoint, you're thinking more about the end of the round rather than focusing on the shots you need to execute.

I have found courses are a tale of two halfs. Usually one half is easier. Maybe after the first half you become too confident and expect the same results as you just shot. This is my problem. Shoot close or under par early and get overzealous about finishing at par, just kills me lol

I've discovered I lose consistency when I start trying to really crush drives off the tee instead of focusing on being smooth. This leads to me hitting trees early or being in the rough instead of the fairway and having to recover. Which ends up being about a stroke per hole. But for me this could start at any point in the round from the first tee to the 18th. just depends on when I forget about smooth being far and start thinking about being hulk.

A lot of times that leads to a bogey and then another on the next hole because I'm still partially thinking about what I messed up on the previous hole instead of focusing on the task at hand.

Where are you adding the stroks? Missed putts? Shanked drives? Flubbed upshots? If it's in mainly one area like say putting you could just practice more to get more consistent.

It seems to me like it's already in your head that you're gonna have a bad back nine. You have to look on it as a positive - there are more birdies to be had. Even on a course where the back nine might be tough - you have to approach it with an "I'm looking forward to it" mentality!! On a really tough back nine - par's seem like birdies!!

I've discovered I lose consistency when I start trying to really crush drives off the tee instead of focusing on being smooth.

If after 9 holes, you find yourself starting to compete with the game/skill level of others on your card, rather than just playing your game, the above point may be a big reason you are falling apart.

I used to let it happen to me all the time.

If after 9 holes, you find yourself starting to compete with the game/skill level of others on your card, rather than just playing your game, the above point may be a big reason you are falling apart.

I used to let it happen to me all the time.

yes sir. I notice it most when I'm playing leagues on a card with some of the bigger arms. I tend to try to keep up with them off the tee instead of just continuing to play my game.

You mash that teebird though

Man I think it was that Michigan air or something up in Flip City...Or the fact that we were playing dubs so my bad shots weren't punished like they would be in a singles round. We could just pick my disc up and walk to my partners.

When I went out for a round last Tuesday and Saturday mashing the teebird wasn't really helping me at all. Tuesday (short nine holer) the only time I had the chance to throw the bird I mashed it right into some trees about 50 ft from the tee. Saturday I threw it pretty good but my the rest of my game was lacking (I'm blaming the 108 heat index)

stop inflating my ego I want to try to play well at leagues tonight and if I keep hearing that type of stuff I'm going to get out there and try to mash the teebird too much tonight. :D

Sorry for the derail.

Back on topic I can mash the teebird but I do a much better job of throwing the teebird just as far if I'm not actively trying to crush it. If I'm focusing on being smooth and controlled I play much better.

I also tend to falter on the back nine but looking over scorecards and such I see it has been for different reasons. If I am behind I tend to try more hero shots to catch up. Fail. If it is a close game I seem to always try to pick up a stroke on a risky shot that an opponent won't attempt. Fail again. I also have scorecards that seem to show me having a solid 3-4 stroke lead and trying to stretch it whether it's because I am confident and have been making shots but then start to fail or possibly I just don't have confidence and always feel that the opponent is going to catch me. I don't attribute it to being out of shape or fatigue because I am always the guy who wants to play another round. I would say that at least 60% of the time my back nine is worse than my front nine.

I don't really get tired. I'm only 18, so I don't drink, and I'm in good shape. I'm thinking that it is mental, I've been blowing it off for a while thinking that it's been just a harder half. I think I get over confident in my ability, that I start to think, "Yeah I got this no problem." Then I get up and flub everything up. So the next time i go out I'm gonna keep focus more, so puposefully focus on my shots more.

Age has nothing to do with whether or not you drink. But as for the original point? I'm the opposite. I usually start hitting my shots on the back 9. Meaning I should probably warm up more and I can kill the entire course. Or we should just hook up for doubles and we'll dominate.

For me, it's generally not a front or back thing, although I find that I throw better on the back. If I have a below-average round, there's usually a 5 or 6 hole stretch where I just miss lines or putts. Most of the time, I get it back together at some point.

Latest posts