• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

My Bag after playing all summer.....

XAQMAN

Background:
I am back! I just started playing seriously again after 5 years away only playing a couple times a year. Played for about 8 years previously 1994-2003. Played all summer long 4-5 rounds a week and tried some of the newer discs and plastics available. Started playing competitively in a league and had alot of fun. Looking for some disc advice for my bag. The Cyclone has long been my favorite disc.

Distance:
RHBH. Has improved over the past 6 months. Currently getting Buzz 240-250 accurately on course. Lots of birds due to the buzzz lately. Cyclone going 280-300 accurately. Can push the eagle or surge out to 300-330 on a good pull.

DISCS:

Carrying 15 Discs. Sometimes 13 but never more than 16.

Drivers:
------------------------
1. Cyclone - Discraft ESP 171g - The workhorse on any course. S lines, long straight wide a little fade, and hyzers. Covers everything.

2. Cyclone - Discaft X 174g - Same as the ESP really but a bit seasoned. Use this for tight tree shots, water shots, and shots I need more S than the ESP.

3. Eagle - Innova Champ 175g - Trying to add a faster driver and this seems alot like a Cyclone. Have made some great drives with this disk and use it alot in the wind.

4. Sidewinder - Innova Champ 172g - Big anny driver.

5. Predator - Discraft Z 169g - Used a viper for a long time but trying out the predator for my meathook wind driver.

6. Surge - Discraft ESP FLX 172g - Max Distance Driver. Open shots 300+ feet I have been experimenting with this disc some.

Other drivers I have played with: Avenger SS, Leopards, Polaris LS

MIDS:
------------------------
1. Buzzz - Discraft ESP 175g - Yummmmm. Loving this more and more every time I throw it. Accurately Driving and parking 240-250 ft holes.

2. Comet - Discraft Z 177g - Trying to work the comets as long right turning anny mid shots and trying to push the range out. I still turn this disc over into the ground sometimes.

3. Comet - Discraft X 174g - Really just testing this one out.

4. Drone - Discraft ESP FLX 176g - This thing has been a very impressive mid. Works well in the wind and covers hard left fading mid shots.

5. Roc - Innova KC Pro 175g - Still cant take this out of my bag. Nicely Seasoned and still accurate. The Buzzz might have stolen me away though. Those Discraft mids are smooth like butta....

6. Core - Lat 64 Opto 176g - Testing this thing out and dont know where it fits in. Nice amount of glide and can hold any line for me.

Other mids I have carried: Shark, Cobra, Rocs, Coyote

Putters:
------------------------
1. Rhyno - Innova Pro 175g - Primary - everything 80+ feet.
2. Rhyno - Innova Champ 172g - Just my extra warm up disc for putting.
3. Avair - Innova DX 174g - Anny approach and putter to 150+ ft.

Other putters I have used: XD, Omega SS, Banger, IONs
------------------------------
There is a stack of 6-8 discs next to my bag. One or two extra "testers" get thrown in the bag to test out on more casual rounds. I throw an extra tee-shot or two to see if these extra molds can earn a spot in the bag. Sometime we test out 4 different mids on 200-250 ft. holes.

I have alot of extra discs at this point and can use some of these "testers" to try to fill any noticable gaps. I am trying to add some distance and have full control on Mids and Fairway drivers. I have been testing one or two higher speed discs out but there is usually only one or two max in my bag.

Any suggestions? Discs to try? Holes anywhere in the bag? Thanks!

I would say choose 1 between Core/Roc/Drone. I'd probably also just leave the surge and sidewinder out and shape those lines with Cyclones/Eagles and push your distances with those.

About the only mid you have that doesnt overlap is the Drone. I will leave you to decide if you need that one but Roc overlaps a little with a Buzzz, which overlaps even more with a Core, which also really overlaps with the Comet. I would say go either Core or Buzzz or Roc with Comet, but its all preference. (shoot, all of these are)

Your drivers are ok, but it gets into the situation of "Are you happy with the extra distance you get with the Sidewinder or Surge, or do you want to improve?" thing. If you want to improve, you might want to take those out and work on shaping the lines with your Cyclones and maybe just throwing the Eagle for distance.

No major holes I can think of.

advice -
Max Distance: (aka 300'+ every time)
Experiment with faster discs. Experiment with them. You will find that you can find "that extra bit of distance" that makes a HUGE difference with longer/faster discs.
Obviously you have skill, ability and experience, and yet your fastest disc is a cyclone (surge, and sidewinder too)....
Long Straight: SL
Longer Cyclone: Destroyer (or wraith)
Better sidewinder: Beast (or Katana)

once you do this... the "all purpose/general fairway" section (which almost all of your drivers are) becomes a lot less relevant, but almost more important in the same. <- For me, as i've "disced down", all of my non-speed 10+ drivers are super important.
I USE 4 Max Distance Drivers (one is still in "i've got a crush, no real purpose" experiment phase.)

All Purpose / Fairway: (Non-max distance, 250'+)
It seems, to me, all of your current drivers are in this range. As such, as you reinvent the top distances and that cascades downward, it will make most of these discs irrelevant.

All Purpose Approach / Short Fairway:
I see a lot of overlap and redundancy.
with your buzzz, drone, roc and rhyno you should be set.

Putter:
Diversify your putting - Ask yourself.... Do you have a putter for the following situations:
- Gimme 0-25' (Aviar?)
- Long Putts / "Run at it" (NONE!)
- Super Long Putts ("aka short approach") (Rhyno?)
- Lay up Putts ("aka not a putt, but you need enough control to get the gimme next shot") (RHYNO)
- Putter Driver (RHYNO)
* I live and die by my rhyno, but i also understand that the lack of glide kills a lot of shots.
* i'd recommend getting a Dart/Ion and work on the longer ranges of your putting (aka short approach/attack).

Go faster, then let that change everything downward.

/smileyfacepalm

I'm just going to pretend I didnt just read that.

*Walks off mumbling obscenities*

I think the drivers look ok as far as spread. Don't stress more high speed stuff at this point, the speed of discs you have is pretty good for your arm. If you want bigger stuff I'd go work on adding some D to your drives first.

The question I'd ask you is, do you ever hesitate in deciding between a Buzzz, Core, and Roc? If there's a dilemma in your mind as to which one to throw, or if you're splitting hairs between which one will do shot X better then you should probably simplify. I think the core can be dropped, giving you an extra spot for a Buzzz in different plastic (check out CryZtal!)

Also, pick a putter, get 2-3 of them (same plastic, same mold, same weight). I wouldn't have a backup/warmup putter in a totally different plastic.

/smileyfacepalm

I'm just going to pretend I didnt just read that.

*Walks off mumbling obscenities*

This.

I think the core can be dropped, giving you an extra spot for a Buzzz in different plastic (check out CryZtal!)

Think this sounds like a good plan. Had a cryZ waiting around the past couple months. Might switch out the Champ Rhyno for another identical Pro if I can find one.....

I'd also drop the Surge, you can probably push the Eagle out to there if you work on it, especially one of those new 12x champs with the flight numbers that have the nice dome or the always glidetastic Star and DX. Try a lighter weight, it's an easy way to eke out some easy D without sacrificing control.

I would definitely work on pushing the Buzzzes out farther too, they're definitely capable.

! if you find the Comet a little too touchy, get an Opto Fuse. It's like a Comet in Buzzz form except not as finicky. Trust me, the Fuse is a finesse machine. The Comets are still great for form work too, though.

Everything else looks good to me though. FYI you can still get Vipers pretty easily if the Pred doesn't work out.

Latest posts