• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

My Bizzzzzag

SeanMeacham

Check out my set-up and let me know if you see some changes!

Bag: Revo Carolina Team Bag (Black/Grey)

Driver Molds:
-Star Wraith (Pink 169, very new)
-Star Wraith (Red 171, beat in)
-Z Avenger (Orange, 172)
-ESP Nuke (White, 171 beat in)
-Z Nuke (Brand new, 172)
-Surge FLX SS (Beat in, Hyzer Flips and large anhyzers)
-Star XCaliber (173, Red beat in)

Mid Range:
-Z Comet (Straight flyer, anhyzer shots)
-Z Buzz (more overstable mid range, use for shots that I can keep straight and finish left)
-ESP Wasp

Putters:
-Light blue Omega SS (super beat in)
-Newer blue Omega SS

Usually you give distances for the discs.

Windy/overstable putter maybe?
No fairway drivers, how come?
Wraith/Surge/Nuke overlap? All distance drivers that do the same thing?
XCalibur really needed?

Usually you give distances for the discs.

Windy/overstable putter maybe?
No fairway drivers, how come?
Wraith/Surge/Nuke overlap? All distance drivers that do the same thing?
XCalibur really needed?

-Using an overstable putter for the wind is a good idea.
-I don't use fairway drivers because there is no distance I would be left with that I can't handle using my comet, Buzz, or Wasp. If I need a straight flyer that holds the line, my Surge SS is the disc.
-Wraiths are my control drivers, Surge SS is for An-Hyzers and Hyzer-Flips, Nukes are my long bombers
-XCal is my most predictable disc in my bag. I use it for holes that end up left, Headwind, or in a situation that I can't afford to turn a disc over.

I play at 6500 ft in Colorado on a regular basis.

Distances:
Drivers-throw between 400-540

Wraiths: throw flat usually between 380-420
Surge SS: Thrown Flat I throw about 400, hyzer flip I throw between 450-500
Nukes: throw between 500-540
Xcal-I don't try and push this past 430, unless in headwind
Z Avenger: more of a control driver for me, use a lot with headwind, and large S lines, never try and throw past 400 (I don't get a lot of glide with this disc)

Also, My boss lives in Montreal and I should be getting out there in the next 6 months and would love to play some DG. Have you ever thrown in Montreal?

It's the Power Driver from Discmania. (Euro spinoff from Innova essentially) It's a controlled distance driver. It has a smaller lip but I still get great distance out of it. There's a super thread on it here, I know you don't like fwy drivers, but I'd say try it out, you may dig it.

Haven't played in Montreal, sorry. Looks like there is only one course in the city too. Make sure you write a review for it!

I know you said your Comet does it all for you, but I just think a fairway disc could offer you something that the Comet cannot. What about a really low ceiling shot that you can't throw the Comet? Or othertimes when you just need a light touch onthe disc and still get a little distance from? Like a sidearm toss with 50% power? I like the Leopard for such shots.

Very good points on the fairway driver. I guess I wouldn't mind a few more scenarios where you guys would use a fairway driver. For example, why wouldn't I throw a Buzz or the Surge SS flat to achieve what you are talking about? It's not that I am opposed to the idea at all, I would just love to hear where you guys find a fairway driver useful??

Thanks!

Ok, here's why I like fwy drivers.

- Distance jumps from mids to drivers. I max out mids at 315'. I max drivers at 420'. Fwy drivers I have more control at 350'-380' than powering down a driver.

- Controllable distance. When I'm not in an open field/max distance situation, I prefer the PD because I follow the "use the slowest disc possible" school of DG. Past mid distance, the PD can do anhyzers, flat, flat with more fade, and hyzers very well 380'.

- Low ceiling, less skips. I find that when a big rimmed driver hits flat with steam, it skips and turns hard. I like to use a slower disc for these types of shots for that reason. (My understanding is a Surge/SS is similar to a Wraith which I have experience with)

- Comfort. Big rims give me grip issues. The PD is fast, but has a smaller rim making me feel more comfortable and (at least in my mind) giving me a more consistent release.

The last point is why I use PDs mostly for drives. I can sometimes get them up to 400' and the control/wind fighting abilities of this disc is phenomenal. I haven't found the best max distance driver for me yet (using Wraiths, but only a small distance jump over PD) so yea, that's my story.

Just like to add. A PD is a SUPER fwy driver (quote from Discspeed), you may not want a disc like a Teebird, but a PD might be right up your alley.

If you are just trying em out, get whatever weight you like for drivers. If you want to incorporate them in your bag (later one anyways) get a P-PD for anny/flat (there are flexy and stiff versions that have slightly different flight characteristics) an S-PD for striaght with fade, workable distance, and a C-PD for headwinds can be good. (I use a First Run S-PD which is more stable than reg S-PDs) I have 172-175 and like them.

Very good points on the fairway driver. I guess I wouldn't mind a few more scenarios where you guys would use a fairway driver. For example, why wouldn't I throw a Buzz or the Surge SS flat to achieve what you are talking about? It's not that I am opposed to the idea at all, I would just love to hear where you guys find a fairway driver useful??

Thanks!

Where you ask? I will give you my ideas on where I throw my fairways on a local level for you since you are from Colo. Springs. Cottonwood Creek holes 13, 14 and 15 where you have a lower ceiling that you could certainly throw a midrange or such, but I feel it is better to throw a fairway with a little less power and thrown low enough as to not risk the branches overhead. Also hole 8, RHBH with my leopard, though sometimes use a Meteor, and thrown on a little anny line to wrap around the right hand curve. Though a midrange would certianly work as well, I don't want to have to throw a disc hard and risk hitting a tree and getting into more trouble. It seems like you are considering a fairway driver. Just give it a shot for a while. If it certainly doesn't add anything more to your game, then take it out. But worth a shot. I had the same delemia with midrange discs. For a while when I learned to throw my putters far, I would just use them on everything from 200 feet on in. I didn't see the need for a midrange. I decided to try a Buzzz and loved that and now use that all the time. Also have a Meteor that I have been having great luck with also. I kept my mind opened and by adding these discs it has helped my game more and am a better player because of it.