• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

My Dad Sucks

Truth hurts doesn't it? That's semi controlled distance. My max was measured (with a rolling measure tape) was 468' 7 5/8". :)

Rolling tape measures are highly innacurate for measuring distance unless you have a smooth level surface that is fee of obstructions. Every little thing they roll over and any elevation change will add extra distance.

Payback time

for all the discouraging things he ever said to you while growing up,that is if he is anything like my dad was.So if you tell him something one time and he doesen't do it exactly to your specifications just ask him when is he gonna get his head outta of his ass.

Answer to the question

one hr befor he plays soak that Shark in a pan of water with a viagara.His drives should be hard and straight for up to 4 hrs.

He generally drives with a dx shark, 150g

i stopped reading at this point.

suggestions.

the most lightweight diamond you can find and he can control grip it all he wants.

distance+feelign better about one self.

if he drives 3 times on a 300f hole he needs to perhaps try a forhand over a backhand or perhaps he will do better using the other hand and trying both.

He goes and plays even without me, so it isn't just a "let's do this with my kid" thing. He actually wants to get better and is frustrated that he isn't. I'm just trying to help. If he could drive 150-200 feet it would dramatically lower his scores.

I think throwing forehand hurts his elbow/shoulder, so backhand is best for now. Part of the issue is he'd never thrown a frisbee at all before trying disc golf. He has no concept at all of disc sports. Didn't throw discs as a kid, play ultimate etc. Maybe we just need to play catch. I tried that once. Maybe we need to do it more.

somechump

So glad you are doing this with your dad. My dad and I have just reconnected after a family explosion/fallout 20 years ago. He used to throw Frisbee with me, and I'd like to think he can still throw well enough to try disc golf with me.

Don't know if anyones has suggested this yet, but.... Try a Roadrunner. He needs to throw with a driver and Roadrunners fly relatively far for weak arms. They're stable enough that they don't turnover and end up pretty straight.

All the advice on which disc to use is probably well ment, but I don't think it will help anything. The dad obviously has bad technique, and needs to learn a proper throwing technique, for any disc to fly well. For him to learn that, he needs to be motivated to do so. If he isn't, no advice will work.

Do you know if your Dad is arthritic? You know sometimes it hurts some people to to power grip a disc. being with your dad and doing stuff togther is really all that matters. i wish my old man was still alive and chucking discs with me, because i know he would enjoy this sport, just like your dad.

Sounds very similar to the problems I've been having. Everyone told me to go with lighter discs, and I finally got advice that helped -- to go with heavier discs. I'm now throwing around 170g discs, rather than the 150s everyone was suggesting. I think the Buzz you suggested was a good start. With the wobble he's having, the lighter discs just make it worse.

As far as spin, I found my problem with spin was related to timing. I talked to people on the forum, and they helped me realize that my timing was off, and I was pulling too early. I've been working on changing my timing out in the field, and it's helped considerably. I'm not getting significant distance improvement, but the disc is going straight, and it's spinning! This may or may not be your father's problem, but I even had lessons from several pros, and they didn't pick up on it. I don't think it's obvious unless you specifically look for it. It wouldn't hurt to watch to see if that might be the problem.

Wait, rewind. Did somebody just call the greatest disc golfer ever "the exception" to the rules of how to throw a disc?!? :wall::wall:

Well hell, I hope one day I'm an "exception" too while a bunch of 850 rated players nitpick each others form and disc selection.

...just sayin'

Sounds very similar to the problems I've been having. Everyone told me to go with lighter discs, and I finally got advice that helped -- to go with heavier discs. I'm now throwing around 170g discs, rather than the 150s everyone was suggesting. I think the Buzz you suggested was a good start. With the wobble he's having, the lighter discs just make it worse.

As far as spin, I found my problem with spin was related to timing. I talked to people on the forum, and they helped me realize that my timing was off, and I was pulling too early. I've been working on changing my timing out in the field, and it's helped considerably. I'm not getting significant distance improvement, but the disc is going straight, and it's spinning! This may or may not be your father's problem, but I even had lessons from several pros, and they didn't pick up on it. I don't think it's obvious unless you specifically look for it. It wouldn't hurt to watch to see if that might be the problem.

exactly. If form can't be improved, then go with a 175 Roadrunner. He'll probably double his D

"Seriously. He doesn't use a power grip, preferring a control grip to improve consistency (and even wearing a batting glove on the throwing hand for some unknown reason."

I'm sorry but that batting glove thing had me rolling! My dad would probably do that to haha.. I can't give any advice tho, im pretty salty my self.

A. You should be happy he is still alive

B. You should be happy he is out doing something he enjoys doing that also happens to benefit his overall health, instead of sitting around getting fat and waiting to die...

Latest posts