• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Mystery Ranch bag

Mystery Ranch makes some good hiking packs, my buddy works for them. And the company was founded by the guy who started Dana Design... I have a Dana Design pack that's almost 20 years old and it still looks new.

That said, no one* will pay that much for a disc golf bag.

Also, it'd better have gromets for water drainage, because when you don't have the fly on water's just going to collect in there until you won't need a hydration pack, you'll be able to pick it up (which will be difficult because it'll be so goddamn heavy with all those discs in it) and drink right from the bag. That was one hell of a run-on sentence, but I think I made my point.

* sane

update for the bag.looks llike theyre releasing it in feb or so. still a monstersized bag but when you compress the side pockets it doesnt look as ginormous. props to them making it.i love my simian though :mrgreen:

http://www.mysteryrants.com/category/disc-golf/

http://www.mysteryrants.com/2009/11/first-production-run-of-the-golf-mahal-to-be-available-in-february/

Looks much less encumbering with the side pockets collapsed, and it looks to be top quality, but I still couldn't imaging paying that much for a bag.

Hmmm, I don't like the straps. There are straps all over the damn place on that bag. It'd drive me nuts more than a steering wheel on my junk.

It certainly looks extremely well made, though. Just ugly, is all.

When you get a bag this big, I don't think it's the feel of carrying the bag that is as important as the feel of putting it on and taking off at least 3-4 times per hole. The thought of transitioning this beast from the ground to my shoulders over 60 times per round makes my back and shoulders sore just thinking about it. Also, the wider a bag gets, the harder it gets to transition...the wings get caught on the way up. You end up having to swing the wings out to get to the shoulder straps. Even though a Revo Dual Pack may be the same weight, it's easier to transition because it has a narrower design. Though, transitioning all that weight 60+ times a round gets exhausting regardless of the design.

There better be a monkey that jumps out and cleans my car in order for me to even think about getting this bag. The bag looks like a small buffet. Seriously, I hope to see some fried chicken tucked away in there.

I like it. i think it looks much better than the Simian, but that's not saying much (I won't go on and on about how much i dislike the Simian). It makes more sense as a compliment to a Carolina or similar bag. The Dual Pack is very different from a Carolina, this one seems to have a more similar general shape...at least you still pull discs from the top rather than the front. I also like that it seems to have more storage than other bags, you could use those large side pockets for shoes, or extra clothes. That's been an issue for me when flying with my golf gear...I've got my disc bag, and another with shoes, clothes, etc. As far as price, $285 isn't ridiculous. It's high, but seems reasonable for the bag. The Dual is $150, The Simian is $200 (add $40 for Quads, as most people seem to do...on a backpack bag...ridiculous). $285 for the next step may not be so bad.
i still think it's way too big to be of any use to me, though. The umbrella holder is sick.

Jimmy said:
I like it. i think it looks much better than the Simian, but that's not saying much (I won't go on and on about how much i dislike the Simian). It makes more sense as a compliment to a Carolina or similar bag. The Dual Pack is very different from a Carolina, this one seems to have a more similar general shape...at least you still pull discs from the top rather than the front. I also like that it seems to have more storage than other bags, you could use those large side pockets for shoes, or extra clothes. That's been an issue for me when flying with my golf gear...I've got my disc bag, and another with shoes, clothes, etc. As far as price, $285 isn't ridiculous. It's high, but seems reasonable for the bag. The Dual is $150, The Simian is $200 (add $40 for Quads, as most people seem to do...on a backpack bag...ridiculous). $285 for the next step may not be so bad.
i still think it's way too big to be of any use to me, though. The umbrella holder is sick.

I don't mind the look of it but for me I just don't need all that space. Might come in handy here and there like you mentioned for flying or travelling and the bag looks decent with the extra pockets compressed, but it looks cumbersome with the extra pockets fully loaded.

Not to derail the thread, but what's your beef with the Simian? Is is just the looks or have you tried it and not liked it? As for the quads with the Simian, they're most definitely not necessary. I have a spare set of quads around and even though I'm not doing anything with them at the moment, I have zero desire to take of the production straps on my Simian and try the quads. The production straps are great.

booter said:
and you cant even sit on it

This should be the Gorilla Boy war cry.

"Nice bag there! How much did it cost? And you can't even sit on it? Gimme a break."

Pro's
looks nice
large capacity
protection from the elements
collapsing side compartments
adjustable straps
solves the need of having multiple bags

Con's
$ 285.00.......

and you cant sit on it

ChUcK said:
booter said:
and you cant even sit on it

This should be the Gorilla Boy war cry.

"Nice bag there! How much did it cost? And you can't even sit on it? Gimme a break."

this is funny!

Roc Lover said:
Pro's
looks nice
large capacity
protection from the elements
collapsing side compartments
adjustable straps
solves the need of having multiple bags

Con's
$ 285.00.......

and you cant sit on it

Agreed. I think the bag looks good once the side pockets are brought in to a reasonable width. I doubt I would ever be carrying enough to take them out to max capacity, but I think having a surplus of space is a good problem, especially if you're able to collapse that extra space as you see fit.

As Chuck pointed out though, there are a lot of straps. I personally like straps, as straps equal options in my mind, but my complaint would be the straps that end up on the ground when you set the bag down. We were just talking yesterday about how annoying the umbrella straps on Revo bags are. You know, the ones that nobody uses, but hang there, get water logged in wet grass, and then dangle moistly against the back of your legs when you're carrying the bag for the rest of your round(s). It looks like the MR may have that same issue to contend with, but unlike the Revo umbrella straps, if you cut these off, you'd probably miss them.

Another thing that looks like it might be annoying are the bottle holders with the elastic at the top. They might, in actuality, be fine, and they address the issue of different sized bottles in this post-Nalgene standard sized era. I have a messenger bag though that has elastic at the top of the bottle holder, and that thing can be a pain in the ass to get a bottle in and out of sometimes. It's not something you want to have to deal with as you're walking along...anyone remember the old Innova bags with the weird neoprene bottle holders? These couldn't possibly be that bad, but still could be an annoyance on such a pricey bag.

I'd like to see if there's any type of internal pockets in there...that's another thing I'd expect on a premium bag. Chris made a pretty simple and effective solution with the Simian by putting mesh pockets inside the 2 big side pockets. Those work great for keeping things separated...no more does my cell phone have to rattle around in a big pocket with all my other miscellaneous stuff.

All in all though, it still looks like a great bag, and I'd consider buying one if I were in the market (and was prepared to talk myself into splurging--again.)