• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Need a step up from a Beast

teetones

I love my Beast, I throw 3 of them around 360-390 feet, but would really like a speed upgrade. I don't want to replace them, just find a driver that throws 400 plus for me. I was thinking Tee-Rex or Destroyer. Any thoughts?

Cheers

Everyone seems to love destroyers (including me). The wraith would also be a speed upgrade, and with a bit less fade than a destroyer.

Discraft Surge isn't a bad choice either, comparable to a wraith -- this disc is probably the straighest (flippiest when beat) of the 3 I've mentioned. It is probably closest to a "longer beast" in flight once you put some wear-and-tear on it.

I love my Beast, I throw 3 of them around 360-390 feet, but would really like a speed upgrade. I don't want to replace them, just find a driver that throws 400 plus for me. I was thinking Tee-Rex or Destroyer. Any thoughts?

Cheers

Do you have an old mold Beast (1x Barry, e.g.) or a new mold Beast (2x Barry)?

I would think Wraith would be a nice step up from the Beast without getting too fast or overstable

Teedevils are kind floppy weird when new. I'd say a surge ss Stable or avenger ss stable to unstable

he mentioned Tee-rex rather than teedevil

I would suggest a Wraith. If you are accustomed to the flight pattern of beasts then a Wraith would be the best step up. Destroyers are a good option but a bit more beefy.

Beasts are pretty high glide/low stability type discs, so they're already long for their speed rating. I don't think there is a single driver out there that will instantly bump you up to over 400' but a domey Pro Destroyer or X Nuke is probably your best bet.

I would say try a katana. I've only thrown it it pro plastic but it flew like a beast but longer. I little too flippy for me, but they are definitely a longer beast. Wraiths and destroyers have much more stability and won't fly like a beast.

Just so you know. I don't have a katana in my bag, so I'm not just recommending a disc because I throw it. I really think it might be what you're looking for.

Last edited:
I'd recommend an Archon: throws a lot like a longer beast - similar stability.
If you wanna throw it harder than a beast: Wraith.

Last edited:
I'd recommend an Archon: throws a lot like a longer beast - similar stability.
If you wanna throw it harder than a beast: Wraith.

Spot on. I used to throw beasts a ton and I have tried both the archon and the wraith. The Archon is more similar to the beast than the wraith, but I found it a very easy transition from beast to wraith and bought a backup wraith instead of replacing the archon when I lost it.

Wraith seem to have a fair bit of extra fade for me, and the destroyer might be too much of a disc for me. The Archon and Katana seem to be too flippy. I think I'll pick up a Sword and a Flow to see which works best for me. Thanks for the help!

Here is my .02...you don't need a faster disc for the extra distance. Get your form to accomodate the distance with a slower speed disc, and you will be deadly on the course. Most of my bag is fairway drivers (fastest in my bag is a wraith...well, destroyer now that I think about it). You would be surprised how far you can throw a TeeBird, Eagle, Firebird, etc.

That being said, a wraith (beat in...not new) or star destroyer may be really good for you :)

I'll probably be the only one that will recommend this, but I was in the same situation as you a couple years ago. I had my star beast that I loved to death for those long hyzer flips. I tried out the discraft flash, which in z plastic, flew exactly the same as the beast but with more glide and a touch more speed. The beast is now hanging on the wall to say the least. the flash is an amazing disc for the beast-like shots.